Composing on a laptop with 16gb of RAM

sIR dORT

As of now, those are my specs, and they won't be changing soon. So I'm trying to find ways to speed up my process (aka building mini templates that squeeze my CPU quite a bit) and was wondering what those of you with similar specs are doing to speed up yours.

DJM

Alex Fraser

As my 2011 iMac just died (@miket !) I've just I've ordered a MBP with 16gb as a replacement, so following with interest.

My plan is to run a "disabled track" setup in Logic, loading only as needed albeit off a fast SSD.

OP
sIR dORT

sIR dORT

My plan is to run a "disabled track" setup in Logic, loading only as needed albeit off a fast SSD.
I've found that for me (using HWO, particularly the strings) that's the only way to keep it running somewhat smoothly.

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
I picked up VSL SE 1/1Plus for the main sounds and just use better libraries for anything that stands out. I also would bounce or freeze tracks to use less RAM/CPU whenever possible. Disable the midi track, but don't delete. You can always re-bounce if needed.

Duncan Krummel

I ran a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with 16Gb of RAM up until about a year and a half ago (got it in mid 2012 too, so it’s been a minute). Mostly using EWSO during that time, and the HWO libraries near the end. The ESWO stuff is pretty light of course, but despite how notoriously resourceful hefty the HWO libraries could be, I was just fine. Now I don’t use templates ever, never liked the idea. So I’m typically running projects that only contain the tracks I need. Freezing, bouncing in place, opting for lighter patches (still don’t use the Powerful System patches in the HWS library), and keeping a high buffer rate all help to lighten the load.

I still do everything on a MacBook Pro, only now have the luxury of running 32Gb. You’ll definitely feel the bottleneck that 16Gb can be at times, but unless your workflow is unnecessarily bloated from the get-go, there are workarounds that are there and are simple to use. Hardly feel like workarounds after a while, just part of an effective workflow.

Alex Fraser

I'm so sorry. Now I'm terrified.
It was the main HD. The first warning was a 30 minute boot time(!) followed by some loud clicks. Then nothing.

I managed to boot into safe mode from a Time Machine backup and reinstall the OS onto an external SSD (which made the iMac run about a zillion times faster - you should try it.)

It's still not right though. The internal fans are now playing a new tune, the screen has a suspicious flicker on it etc etc. In sunnier times it might be a repair job but my wife put her foot down after I spent two days fixing the machine and "requested" I retired it.

So, new Mac on the way whilst I nurse this one for the next few days.

Mike - back on topic - if I remember rightly you had some success with BBCSO and 16gb?

Nick Batzdorf

As my 2011 iMac just died (@miket !) I've just I've ordered a MBP with 16gb as a replacement, so following with interest.

I have no idea whether this is true, but it's worth considering:

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something

Alex Fraser

I have no idea whether this is true, but it's worth considering:

For sure. I would have waited but I need a machine to earn $ now. Kind of annoyed I'm forced into it as the Mac buying process is something to be savoured and over-analysed until you see the Matrix or go mad. Whichever comes first.

Truthtrader

I have been working like this for some time as i have not been able to get to the studio.

My work around is using reaper and having projects within projects. So you can have a main project Orchestra, the have sub projects as tracks.

so string project is track one
brass two etc

when you work in the string project reaper can basically render a wav file and deactivate the plugins under that project.

my main issue was i thought it would be slow, but going in and out of sub projects is quick and easy

reaper tutorial

I like music

Pretty sure my IB + IW + SM strings template is half of that, if not less. Guessing you wouldn't buy libraries that are easy on RAM (because if you could, then you'd probably just buy another computer) but I have found these libraries to be lean as fuck.