What's new

Composing and teaching computer for 2020

Hello All!

I'm an orchestra director and composer in Atlanta looking to upgrade my computer now that I'll be home... all the time.

I'm looking at a Mac Pro 5,1 Maxed out. From this site https://www.usedmac.com/products/Apple%20Mac%20pro?product_id=4637
It's got 12 core 3.4Ghz and I can max the ram to 128 GB with a 2 year warranty hitting about $1,800

Maybe I can get that super fast ram that is like PCIE or something? Up to 4TB for samples.

I'd also be very open to a PC with the same or more ram at the same price point. I don't know much about PCs so I was hoping someone could give me feedback. I know with a PC Case and great motherboard I might leave myself more room for upgrade? Seems like more hassle?

I'm using cubase and Dorico and Ableton and an Avid Artist mix with a UAD Apollo. Libraries are all Spitfire Symphony Orchestra.

I'm currently using a 2013 iMac 4 core with 32 GB ram and I'm just using... all the damn ram.
I'm starting to get playback problems even with max buffer size and all that.
Using about 70 tracks of full orchestra

Tried the Kontakt memory server. Not much better results. Although maybe with a better computer I could get it to work.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thank you!!!!

If you can build PC or find someone to build

Buy a cheap Windows 10 OEM Key from eBay, if do not want to buy from eBay then buy from

Stuff you may want:

-Small keyboard

-Elgato Stream Deck to complement the small keyboard

-A mouse with extra horizontal scroll wheel

Top Bottom