Composers - Do you have this sensitive ear problem ?

Discussion in 'OFF-TOPICS - General Musings' started by constaneum, Feb 1, 2019.

1. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

I used to be able to sleep easily back in the old days. Ever since i've started writing the music, I've noticed that my ears are trained to listen to every single instrument in the music, how instruments stand out in a mix an etc. As a result, my ears are more susceptible to environmental noises. A bit of noise, i'll get wake up and my entire sleep is affected. This isn't a once in a blue moon kind of problem. It's almost daily and i get kinda fed up with the sleeping problem.

I'm now trying to source for Melatonin supplements to enhance my sleep. I wonder whether any composer out there facing this issue as well and how do you overcome it ? Would like to hear and share your experiences. Cheers !

LamaRose and Wally Garten like this.
  2. poetd

poetd Active Member

Sep 9, 2018
    [​IMG]

Classic FM.
    Sleep timer 90 minutes.

Made sure to get the Walnut which goes well with the driver to add a nice woody resonance to the digital sound.

Margherita and Mylene play us to sleep every night.
    Only problem is finding a ClassicFM source when sleeping away from home. LOL. :)

Fredeke likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

I have a mini Google Home. Probably can get it to play some relaxing meditation kind of music.

tav.one likes this.
  4. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    I have the same problem. I sleep with earplugs. But even with earplugs I sometimes awake because of sound. If I work with music late in the evening or before sleep, when I awake doing the night, the music is playing in my head, which is also annoying.
    Maybe I have to make a soundproof bedroom with heavy basstrapes to absorb my own snoring :)).

Wassim Samad likes this.
  5. OleJoergensen

OleJoergensen Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Denmark
    Fredeke likes this.
  6. Sibelius19

Sibelius19 Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy

Dec 12, 2015
    Michigan USA
    Hmmm.... maybe that's why I only get 5-6 hours of sleep at the most every night now. Or maybe just because I have 2 kids. But noise does seem to wake me up much more easily than it used to .

7. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    I need the white noise of a fan to sleep. Total quiet drives me nuts. There's too much to "hear."

WindcryMusic and constaneum like this.
  8. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015

apparently the fan noise is quite popular - I knew someone many years ago who slept to the TV white noise - way back when stations went off air and tvs weighed a ton

Fredeke and constaneum like this.
  9. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I also started to wake up in the middle of the night to small noises from outside. Then I got airplugs, which are not totally cancelling the noise but are comfortable to sleep with.

10. OP
    OP
    constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Too much to hear eh ? Could be the case also

11. ghostnote

ghostnote Vincit qui se vincit.

Nov 3, 2011
    Had tinnitus and regular sudden but temporar hearing loss at the right ear a couple years ago. Met the doctors and they couldn't find anything. Turned out it was the muscles at my right side of my neck. Loads of PC work and mountainbiking mostly with wind but without proper clothing caused my muscles to stiffen up. It took a while, bending, massaging and I finally got it resolved. It still comes back from time to time, but now I know what to do. Fitness is a really important point.

MartinH. likes this.
  12. WindcryMusic

WindcryMusic Always learning

Oct 19, 2015
    Same here (hear? hehe), except that I have an HEPA air cleaner that performs dual purposes: adding white noise that masks the distant noises of traffic, activations of my heating system, etc. that would otherwise keep me awake, as well as taking stuff out of the air that would otherwise aggravate my nearly endless variety of allergies.

13. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    My husband has to sleep with a loud fan going. I needed to use earplugs because the bass rumble in the fan he used really bothered me. But then I started having issues with my ears from wearing the earplugs all the time. We've finally found a fan that isn't too bassy, but is loud enough for him.

Fredeke and Jeremy Gillam like this.
  14. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I sometimes fall asleep easier when my PC is still running, but that's not something I want to keep running all night. I've wondered whether it's worth a try to have a subtle constant white noise running 24/7 in my room to get used to it and fall asleep easier. I've tried music and other stuff, but it never works very well. I have the theory that it has to be something I'm very used to hearing for it to have the desired effect.

15. LamaRose

LamaRose Gato Mighty!

Oct 26, 2015
    I'd recommend L-theanine over melatonin as melatonin is an actual hormone, and L-theanine is a hormone precursor which allows your body to regulate the needed melatonin at night and serotonin/dopamine if taken during the day . Melatonin can give a slight drowsy hangover sometimes whereas I've never experienced this with L-theanine. You can also take L-T during the day to chill a bit and it won't screw with your hormones.

And yes, I have very sensitive hearing as well despite also having tinnitus and an audible frequency range that cuts off at just over 12kHz.

Fredeke likes this.
  16. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    I wear ear plugs.
    My ears are too sensitive to noise too.
    I think it dates back from my teenage time when I was sleeping in a separate floor from my family, next to the street.

And my wife talks in Chinese in her sleep... Lol

Fredeke likes this.
  17. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Drink yourself senseless. Works for me!

Divico, dzilizzi, miket and 4 others like this.
  18. Jeremy Gillam

Jeremy Gillam Active Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Los Angeles, California
    I think you might be suffering from the existential thrill of creating music, and that might be what is keeping you awake rather than any ambient noise or lack thereof :)

constaneum and MartinH. like this.
  19. Fredeke

Fredeke Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Belgium
    1. Earplugs. I sleep like a baby.
    2. Alcohol. I wake up not so fresh.
    3. Pot. May make things better or worse. It's a coin flip.
    (0. Sexual activity. One doesn't always have the luxury.)

Avoid tobacco: it may make you feel relaxed, but it actually tenses your body.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  20. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You don't need a partner to have sex with someone you love.

Fredeke likes this.