What's new

Composer for Japan's Olympic opening ceremonies resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sure, I’ll be careful of the “cancel culture slippery slope” of thinking somebody is a bad person for torturing disabled kids.

I swear, the things that bring defenders out of the woodwork on this website keep getting more bizarre…
Mental health is a serious issue in the world these days, and virtually nothing is being done to help.

Yesterday I heard people wishing the worst things to Jeff Bezos for having flown to space. I bet if these people had a guilt-free red button on their hands, they would have pressed it. Because it doesn't exist, they can only exercise wishful thinking. Horrible.

Last edited:
I haven’t read the whole articles, but from the language it doesn’t seem as though he was telling the story to be remorseful for his actions. It sounds more like a 20-something sitting around talking about crazy shit he has done, particularly since these were articles in rock magazines. I also read a quote from him recently where he said he had never apologized to the person he tortured.

I personally don’t see this as some over-the-top cancel culture. Pretty horrible stuff he did. Not childhood ribbing.

Anyway, I’m going to take myself out of this thread. I don’t particularly enjoy spending my free time debating this kind of stuff.
I wasn't suggesting he was telling the story to be remorseful, just that it didn't seem like boasting. It's an important distinction, I reckon

He still claims to not have apologized, but seems to have expressed the wish that he could.

I will say, whilst I accept that people change I also don't believe you should do awful things even long in the past with consequence. To effectively abuse a vulnerable child like he did, then apologise when it comes out and that be enough is not something I agree with. If you do things like that there should be consequences even if it just losing out on work (which to be fair is pretty light compared to what he did).

I just don't like the idea you can do awful things in your past consequence free and then when it comes out everyone just says it was in theit past and they are a changed person. It sends the wrong message, that the key is not to be caught until later on life, then apologise and have no consequences.

I just don't like the idea you can do awful things in your past consequence free and then when it comes out everyone just says it was in theit past and they are a changed person. It sends the wrong message, that the key is not to be caught until later on life, then apologise and have no consequences.
I think perhaps we're reading different threads.

I think perhaps we're reading different threads.
Possibly, we all interpret what we read 🙂

What I was reading from some comments was that; as it was a long time ago and he is a changed person, who has apologised he shouldn't have had to resign from the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom