What's new

Complementing EW Hollywood Orchestra

alexandrost

Hi all!

I have EW Hollywood Orchestra (Diamond) and I'd like to buy an Albion One-style library to complement it - for example, do some Layering, and end up with a more complete sound palette. I was thinking about Albion One, but I've read people complaining that it is too wet and I was worried it wouldn't mix well with EWHO. What are your thoughts? Also, what other Albion-like option is there that would work well together with EWHO?
Ideally, I would have to do as little mix tweaking as possible.

Thanks

johnbusbymusic

Musician/Composer
i also have HWO Diamond and Albion One layers extremely well with it.
if you can get Albion One at a discounted rate you're gonna be happy with the results of mixing these two libraries together.

I found that the surround mic in HWO and the Ambience mic in AOne sound beautiful together and usually provide just enough wetness and natural release tails that you can avoid drenching everything in reverb.

OP
A

alexandrost

Thanks John, that's a great tip!

if you can get Albion One at a discounted rate you're gonna be happy with the results of mixing these two libraries together.

I found that the surround mic in HWO and the Ambience mic in AOne sound beautiful together and usually provide just enough wetness and natural release tails that you can avoid drenching everything in reverb.

BassClef

I also use Albion's with HWO, and concerning blending wet and dry samples.... A tip I learned from a Jake Jackson - Christian Henson video... Pick two reverbs, one algorithmic and one convolution. Give plenty of these to your dry samples. And then give a little of the same two reverbs to the already wet samples.

Ashermusic

I concerning blending wet and dry samples.... A tip I learned from a Jake Jackson - Christian Henson video... Pick two reverbs, one algorithmic and one convolution. Give plenty of these to your dry samples. And then give a little of the same two reverbs to the already wet samples.
EXACTLY what I do.

I like music

I also use Albion's with HWO, and concerning blending wet and dry samples.... A tip I learned from a Jake Jackson - Christian Henson video... Pick two reverbs, one algorithmic and one convolution. Give plenty of these to your dry samples. And then give a little of the same two reverbs to the already wet samples.
Any tips or tutorials about exactly how the two might go together? For example, Convo first, remove the tail as much as possible to 'put into the space' and then add the Algo at the end of the chain, with a bit of tail? Can one "just" add tail?

OP
A

alexandrost

Any tips or tutorials about exactly how the two might go together? For example, Convo first, remove the tail as much as possible to 'put into the space' and then add the Algo at the end of the chain, with a bit of tail? Can one "just" add tail?
^^^^ bump for this!
also, I'd love to know what other libraries do you guys use that sit well with EWHO

shawnsingh

I've been using EWQL HO Gold with spaces reverb SF concert hall preset, but adjusted pre delay to 0. That has worked quite nicely with OT stuff with tree-only mic position.

One thing about EWQL Hollywood series is that there are very strong (but pleasing) early reflections, so there is a certain fuzzy ambiguous feeling about the positioning compared to the tree mic of teldex. In practice when a lot of things are going on in the orchestration, that difference doesn't matter much.

Another option I had tried, which is more hard work, but I think it worked pretty good, is to use VSL or some other dry library, and emulate early reflections using the Synchron MIR room pack. To simulate early reflections only, shorten the reverb time to about 70-80 ms. This plus some EQ just to match tone - I felt did a great job to match EQWL Gold sound, even when dry. So when adding more revert on top, they should definitely feel like they're from the same space.

I had attached demos of all this on another thread (see two posts with attachments).

hdsmile

please, could you up any audio example?

OP
A

alexandrost

Have you looked into the Symphobia series? It's on the dryer side, and doesn't rely on heavy hall reverb to sound good.
Yes, sounds pretty good, I was looking actually into Albion One, Ark I, Symphobia/Orchestral Essentials, Jaeger and Nucleus, as an add on to my core library which is EWHO Diamond - (so many options!) they all sound amazing in the demos, but I'd love to hear the preferences of other EWHO owners here

Last edited:
Top Bottom