What's new

Community Brass Programming Exercise - Olympic Fanfare

This thread has been fascinating! I've caught up listening to all the demos over the past few days - curious to try my hand in a couple weeks when I have some days off.

I noticed the original posted mp3 was a different version than I'm used to. Attached is the "By Request" version which has a bit more definition and punch overall. Also posting the relevant score snippet for folks who feel that can help guide them.

Attachments

• OlympicFanfareBrass-OpeningScore.JPG
    OlympicFanfareBrass-OpeningScore.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 186
  • OlympicFanfareIntro.mp3
    866.4 KB
This thread has been fascinating! I've caught up listening to all the demos over the past few days - curious to try my hand in a couple weeks when I have some days off.

I noticed the original posted mp3 was a different version than I'm used to. Attached is the "By Request" version which has a bit more definition and punch overall. Also posting the relevant score snippet for folks who feel that can help guide them.
Great to have another reference recording - thanks for sharing!

This is how I remember the fanfare. Thanks for the post

thanks for the score, much clearer!

Thank you for sharing the score. This will help a lot!

it's the band edition.. it has brass... not sure how good this one is, compared to the other wivi (that is not available anymore: the non "band" version)
Unfortunately it seems it's missing a lot of the features that make WIVI Physical modelling so great. I wonder if they offer resales on their licenses, maybe the WIVI stuff will be worth more used than the original price since it's now rare.
@Rob's demo is seriously impressive, that's on a similar level as Samplemodeling Brass.

**Don't know if this is considered marketing or something. It's a free product after all, as well as our only product. (for now at least..) But please remove this if inappropriate!**

I was kind of hoping someone here would consider giving our Solo Trumpet a go for the trumpet parts, but since no one has done it so far, I did it myself. :) Since the instrument is not a a2/a3 instrument, I doubled up the 1st part with the classic sample-transposing-trick, together with some track delay.. and some other stuff. The 2nd and, for a few notes, 3rd part are just normal instances of the patch.

Hope you like it! This really felt like a pretty tricky piece to program. A good exercise for sure!

/Viktor Lindholm
Norrland Samples

Attachments

• NSST-OlympicFanfare_FINAL.mp3
    1.1 MB

Thanks for the score. The phrasing makes total sense now.

**Don't know if this is considered marketing or something. It's a free product after all, as well as our only product. (for now at least..) But please remove this if inappropriate!**

I was kind of hoping someone here would consider giving our Solo Trumpet a go for the trumpet parts, but since no one has done it so far, I did it myself. :) Since the instrument is not a a2/a3 instrument, I doubled up the 1st part with the classic sample-transposing-trick, together with some track delay.. and some other stuff. The 2nd and, for a few notes, 3rd part are just normal instances of the patch.

Hope you like it! This really felt like a pretty tricky piece to program. A good exercise for sure!

/Viktor Lindholm
Norrland Samples
Thanks for sharing! Quite an agile trumpet!

This reference sounds a bit more like my memory, thanks!

/Viktor Lindholm
Norrland Samples
It was the first trumpet I tried! I saw how much work it would take to finish though and haven’t posted yet. Sounds good! Especially for free!!

Surprised nobody has posted a version with Hollywood Brass (OPUS), so here's my take on it.

OPUS is a great sample player, but I do wish there was a way to lock round robins somehow (maybe there is?). The repetition samples were unusable for me (I think they sound really strange...like broken?), so I relied on staccatissimo double tongue, but not every round robin gave me the tightness I was looking for.

Attachments

• OlympicTheme-OPUS(2).mp3
    951.8 KB
Thanks for sharing! How are you liking Century Brass? How did you find the programming of it to be?
I got it recently (with a super discounted opportunity btw) and this is the first time I use it, so I am not too familiar with it yet. This is probably not the easiest challenge to start with, at least for me :) so I am sure some more expert hands could do much better.

In the example I posted above Century Brass sounds a bit thin to my ears, and the final chords also sound a bit synthy to me, but again it's probably my fault. I had to move repetitions (double tongue) slightly ahead to have them finish on time, and you can likely hear it. I had to do some layering, but this is true also for CineBrass that I have just tried now for comparison :)

Perhaps I could try this with BBCSO Pro as well (I know, I know its limitations :))

Attachments

• Fanfare_CineBrassCore.mp3
    892.3 KB
Last edited:
Woke up a little too early this morning, but saw this thread and wanted to give it a go. Like many, I struggled. I think my shorts in the first half are too punchy but I am fairly pleased with the second half (as accompanied w/ some perc). Anyways, this was a lot of fun!
Which library did you use?

Hope it's not cheating, but I was excited by what I got the first 2 measures to sound like with INFINITE BRASS and wanted to post.
FYI I think the midi file has some wrong notes in it - I'll try to paste a version with all cc info stripped (and put into 4 Tpt, 4 Hn, 4 Tbn + 1 Tuba format).

All feedback welcome.

Attachments

• Infinite Olympic Fanfare (2 measures).mp3
    304.9 KB
Hope it's not cheating, but I was excited by what I got the first 2 measures to sound like with INFINITE BRASS and wanted to post.
FYI I think the midi file has some wrong notes in it - I'll try to paste a version with all cc info stripped (and put into 4 Tpt, 4 Hn, 4 Tbn + 1 Tuba format).

All feedback welcome.
Not cheating - looking forward to hearing the rest!

The MIDI file I posted is directly from the opening of the concert score. It isn't a transcription by ear. But I might've sightread something wrong!

Top Bottom