What's new

Cobra Kai Season 3 Mixing Walkthrough

Thanks Phil! I just finished up the season. Look forward to watching this weekend!

Love the show, not that impressed with the music. Missing Bill Conti.
What would make it more impressive for you? I think it's quite good, and kind of brilliant to blend in some 80s metal riffs with modern electronic and orchestral. To do all of those things well and seamlessly is great. Also, it seems to do a good job of straddling the line between kitsch/comedy and genuine emotion. That alone is incredibly hard to do. I don't really see a single thing missing, except that the music could be louder in the mix at times.

What would make it more impressive for you? I think it's quite good, and kind of brilliant to blend in some 80s metal riffs with modern electronic and orchestral. To do all of those things well and seamlessly is great. Also, it seems to do a good job of straddling the line between kitsch/comedy and genuine emotion. That alone is incredibly hard to do. I don't really see a single thing missing, except that the music could be louder in the mix at times.
Everything you like about it, is what I don't :)

The variety of styles is a hodge-podge to me, different for the sake of being different. I think the comedy is played too broadly, too much wink-wink.

Go listen and watch to what Bill Conti did with the originals, in the '80's, and I think you will see that it is on a different level, works seamlessly with the picture

But of course, it's subjective.

It's worth considering what the goal of the project is. It's supposed to be different from the films, appealing to a different generation (while still having nostalgia). And it's more of comedy than the movies, so that's part of it. The rock stuff, especially. I think the producers want it to feel a bit like 80s action cartoons at times, and to kind of have fun with that. And to emphasize Johnny's character in a comedic way. To me, those appear to be the goals of the show. And if those were the goals, the composers did a great job.

It's worth considering what the goal of the project is. It's supposed to be different from the films, appealing to a different generation (while still having nostalgia). And it's more of comedy than the movies, so that's part of it. The rock stuff, especially. I think the producers want it to feel a bit like 80s action cartoons at times, and to kind of have fun with that. And to emphasize Johnny's character in a comedic way. To me, those appear to be the goals of the show. And if those were the goals, the composers did a great job.
We will have to agree to disagree. Even if those were the goals, subtlety and sophistication don’t have to be lost in the translation, which in my view, they were.

Thanks for sharing, always good to see how cool people are doing stuff!
:)

Non musical, hairdresser waiting room comment:
I loved the first part of the first couple of Cobra Kai seasons. It stroke a great balance between nostalgia, comedy and story. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much.
The last season honestly has been completely lost to under 13 audiences.
Looks like a few actors went to "bad guy" acting class, and the whole fighting is too cartoon-ish and I smell "Twilight" teenage plastic. I am over 13 so I have to stop watching. I was really disappointed, it was good, light fun.

Thanks for posting this @philmcgowan . I don't have time to watch through it now but i just did the classic play the beginning then skip to the end - and based on that I'll sit and watch right through over the weekend as I was v impressed.

Can I ask a quick q. about your closed rack / cabinet - Can I just ask what brand it is and how you find it in use? I'm assuming it's fully closed and temp controlled in some way?

cheers,
Chris

Top Bottom