What's new

Classical music dynamics in Ableton Live

I'm trying out Reaper now, looks good but it seems like it hasn't many instruments, even less orchestral
I have (way too many) orchestral instruments in Kontakt, Play, and VSL that I use so I haven't explored the included instruments at all. That's probably part of why they can offer it for so little money is they aren't out developing or licensing orchestral instruments.

I agree that you can make wonderful music without understanding musical notation. But, given that it's simple to learn, and is the international language of music, which people all over the world understand, why deprive yourself of such a powerful tool? It's not like learning calculus. Anyone with an IQ in the normal range could learn to do it in a week. If they really wanted to.

Reading I guess is a matter of practice, but I dont think I could do it in a week. And about musical theory, I know basic concepts like chord construction but there are always concepts that elude me, maybe I'm too dumb, like the circle of fifths for example. I wish I found some tutorials that explain music theory in an intuitive and simple way. Maybe I haven't searched hard enough :unsure:

Believe me, you are easily smart enough to learn a fair amount of music theory. I taught some musicians to understood a lot of it in a short while and some of them were otherwise dumber than squirrels.

Hey, I became a member member of VI-CONTROL because an interview with him!

Hey mate,

First off ignore all the bullshit people say that you can't write orchestral music with Ableton Live, many have not sat with it for more than 5 minutes (or at all) and are talking out their ass. Live doesn't have a score view however unless you are planning to print out all your pieces for real players there isn't much need these days and if you do there are far better dedicated pieces of software for doing so than the built in ones (I know of way more Orchestrators using Sibelius or Finale than the built in Logic Pro editor.) Albeton Live is just as capable as any other DAW in writing and producing music, it just handles things differently, in the end its all about which product gets you to the ideas in your head the fastest.

So onto your questions. First off make sure you are writing in the Arrange view (which looks like all the other daws) and not the session view (which looks like a mixer).

So to adjust tempo: look down near the bottom where it says 'Master' make sure that track is wide enough by clicking and dragging so that you have a few white dropdown boxes. The top one should say mixer, then the bottom one will have the option for song Tempo. click that and the master channel will show a dotted line. Click anywhere on that line and it will make a point you can drag around. If you hold alt and click and drag on a line inbetween two points you will make a curve. Something else you can do which is cool is assign a midi controller to the tempo. To do this click in the very top right where it says midi and everything will change colour, then in the top right click on your tempo and move a midi dial, you can now control the tempo with that.

For accents, once you record a part you double click on the midi clip which will load the midi view at the bottom. The velocity of each midi note is demonstrated by a line with a dot at the top of it. The higher the dot the more velocity, the lower the softer. To edit expression and modulation CCs (and all the others) in the midi info at the bottom right you will see a little circle button that has an E on it. Click that and it will give you a drop down of all the available midi CC data. Then selecting from the dropdown will give you a dotted line which you then click on to create dots and lines of midi information.

-DJ

Hey mate,

First off ignore all the bullshit people say that you can't write orchestral music with Ableton Live, many have not sat with it for more than 5 minutes (or at all) and are talking out their ass. Live doesn't have a score view however unless you are planning to print out all your pieces for real players there isn't much need these days and if you do there are far better dedicated pieces of software for doing so than the built in ones (I know of way more Orchestrators using Sibelius or Finale than the built in Logic Pro editor.) Albeton Live is just as capable as any other DAW in writing and producing music, it just handles things differently, in the end its all about which product gets you to the ideas in your head the fastest.

So onto your questions. First off make sure you are writing in the Arrange view (which looks like all the other daws) and not the session view (which looks like a mixer).

So to adjust tempo: look down near the bottom where it says 'Master' make sure that track is wide enough by clicking and dragging so that you have a few white dropdown boxes. The top one should say mixer, then the bottom one will have the option for song Tempo. click that and the master channel will show a dotted line. Click anywhere on that line and it will make a point you can drag around. If you hold alt and click and drag on a line inbetween two points you will make a curve. Something else you can do which is cool is assign a midi controller to the tempo. To do this click in the very top right where it says midi and everything will change colour, then in the top right click on your tempo and move a midi dial, you can now control the tempo with that.

For accents, once you record a part you double click on the midi clip which will load the midi view at the bottom. The velocity of each midi note is demonstrated by a line with a dot at the top of it. The higher the dot the more velocity, the lower the softer. To edit expression and modulation CCs (and all the others) in the midi info at the bottom right you will see a little circle button that has an E on it. Click that and it will give you a drop down of all the available midi CC data. Then selecting from the dropdown will give you a dotted line which you then click on to create dots and lines of midi information.

-DJ
Hi Daniel, really pleased to meet you!!!
First of all thank you very much for your tips, some of them I already knew but they are great.
I love Ableton because it invites me to experiment and is so "transparent", it doesn't gets in the way of making music. I have red some opinions about Ableton and how most people think is for DJing only, but I never have used it for that, instead I've made rock music and now I'm making simple "scores" for my animations and games.

I'm a great admirer of Danny Elfman. I've listened to his demos and to me they sound almost like the orchestral versions. Of course you can tell they are created with a computer and samples but they are very rich, with every nuance and detail and with all the dynamics classical music has. It keeps me wandering how can he do that! of course he has unique talent and you can not learn that ;).

For me composing in Live feels very natural although there are some things that seem to be almost impossible to do with it (how the hell do you make portamento in Live???)

I'll stick with Ableton Live, since is what I like the most, and thanks to your advice, you are the proof that what really matters is talent and hard work, since the tools do nothing by themselves.

Hi Daniel, really pleased to meet you!!!
First of all thank you very much for your tips, some of them I already knew but they are great.
I love Ableton because it invites me to experiment and is so "transparent", it doesn't gets in the way of making music. I have red some opinions about Ableton and how most people think is for DJing only, but I never have used it for that, instead I've made rock music and now I'm making simple "scores" for my animations and games.

I'm a great admirer of Danny Elfman. I've listened to his demos and to me they sound almost like the orchestral versions. Of course you can tell they are created with a computer and samples but they are very rich, with every nuance and detail and with all the dynamics classical music has. It keeps me wandering how can he do that! of course he has unique talent and you can not learn that ;).

For me composing in Live feels very natural although there are some things that seem to be almost impossible to do with it (how the hell do you make portamento in Live???)

I'll stick with Ableton Live, since is what I like the most, and thanks to your advice, you are the proof that what really matters is talent and hard work, since the tools do nothing by themselves.

Anyone who says Albeton Live is only for DJ's, don't have the slightest clue what they are talking about. Try not to listen to much to people who say things with confidence of which they have no experience ;)

Alot of what you are talking about are specific to the libraries you use and not the DAW itself. Things like portamento are programmed into certain sample libraries. You will need to research different sample libraries which contain different articulations. And if you havnt invested already, you should definitely get Kontakt 5! You def need a sampler for your DAW.

-DJ

A few points:

1. l am quite familiar with Live and I said that if I can't see notes on staves it is not for ME.

2. I have printed literally thousands of parts for sessions here in LA and around the world with Logic Pro With no complaints from them.

3. The bit about not being an f'ing DJ was a joke as is evidenced by the emoticon.

Oh, and in case there is ANY confusion, I ABSOLUTELY meant a DJ, someone who plays music live from CDs, computers, or vinyl, scratches, etc. not a forum member with those initials.

Last edited:
A few points:

1. l am quite familiar with Live and I said that because I can't see notes on staves it is not for ME.

2. I have printed literally thousands of parts for sessions here in LA and around the world with Logic Pro With no complaints from them.

3. The bit about not being an f'ing DJ was a joke as is evidenced by the emoticon.

Jay,

1. If its not for you, why did you bother to enter a thread asking for spesific help with Ableton Live? with your first remark being that Live isnt a good choice for classical techniques when we both know that any DAW that lets you edit midi can do everything you need to these days. Its just about how familiar you are with it. Its not a helpful comment. Just seems like yet another way for you to publicly voice your negative opinions on others choices again.

2. Good for you! While Logic Pro's editor has some good features, is it REALLY as functionally deep as a dedicated score editor like Sibelius. Lots of composers these days use orchestrators to get the work in front of players and if you are planning to do it yourself I think one would be much better served using dedicated software for it.

3. When you followed up your first pointless contribution to the thread with "I'm a composer, not a fucking DJ" comment, we both know you meant it. The snide little unhelpful useless remarks in your posts really grow tiresome. If its not helpful, why bother posting it at all?

-DJ

And there is a plug-in for Live that does notation pretty well called https://www.computermusicnotation.com/ . It does also export midi just fine to Sibelius which I've used for transcription when I don't have time to do it by hand/ear.

I don't know about anybody else but I knew Jay was joking. :D

I'm trying out Reaper now, looks good but it seems like it hasn't many instruments, even less orchestral
That's what sample libraries are for. I use precious few actual Sonar instruments. The Tuba on the TTS-1, primarily. I do use several Dimension Pro instruments, but that's a VI that comes with Sonar, and can be used also in Reaper. Primarily, I use my orchestral libraries. I look at a DAW as a vehicle. It's what you bring to it that matters most. and of course, a work flow that suits you. I'm sure it will be a struggle if I switchfrom Sonar to Reaper, but sometimes a change of scenery can have surprising results.

It's true that Ableton was built with DJ's/electronic music production in mind. That being said, many of the common practices implemented by modern film/game music composers/sound designers have roots in electronic music. In my experience, it's also by far the best DAW for handling hardware synths and external gear. So if you make music that relies heavily on synthesis and other sound design related things (as I know many of us on this website do) Ableton really is a fantastic choice.

Jay,

1. If its not for you, why did you bother to enter a thread asking for spesific help with Ableton Live? with your first remark being that Live isnt a good choice for classical techniques when we both know that any DAW that lets you edit midi can do everything you need to these days. Its just about how familiar you are with it. Its not a helpful comment. Just seems like yet another way for you to publicly voice your negative opinions on others choices again.

2. Good for you! While Logic Pro's editor has some good features, is it REALLY as functionally deep as a dedicated score editor like Sibelius. Lots of composers these days use orchestrators to get the work in front of players and if you are planning to do it yourself I think one would be much better served using dedicated software for it.

3. When you followed up your first pointless contribution to the thread with "I'm a composer, not a fucking DJ" comment, we both know you meant it. The snide little unhelpful useless remarks in your posts really grow tiresome. If its not helpful, why bother posting it at all?

-DJ
Hey mate,

-DJ
I forgot to say that your answer is the guide I needed, I'm very grateful because now I have a workflow for composing and some useful info I for sure will use. Its great that a proffesional like you takes the time to help with very specific answers, and addressing every question.

I have been using Ableton and Logic for a few years and I have absolutely no complains about Ableton.

I understand why it gets a bad rep and in fact, I think it's missing some good features to make it a bit more composition friendly, but overall it feels really transparent, solid, light and simple. No clutter or unnecessary drop down menus. Hell, for most things there isn't even any text to read at all.

To make it even better I would include the option to select multiple MIDI clips and see their MIDI notes all together, SMPTE timecode wouldn't hurt either (It is available as a Max4Live device though), being able to detach the piano roll to see it in another screen, among other minor things.

Overall you won't be limited by the software, it does everything superbly. Choosing between Ableton or another DAW is only a matter of personal taste/workflow. That's just my opinion because I already spent thousands of hours working with it. Hope that helps!

My final clarified thoughts, just my opinions, which ARE meant to be helpful:

Live is a terrific app but because of the lack of things I listed and Steinmann listed it is not as good a choice for orchestral style composition to picture as Logic Pro, Cubase, Digital Performer, Sonar or Reaper. For songwriting, orchestral style composition for those either not working to picture and who are not married to using a score editor, like me, it is a fine choice. And it definitely is not only suitable for DJ's, which is why my joke was just a joke.

Before Logic Pro had Flex time, I frequently used Live with ReWire along with Logic Pro and it did a fine job, especially on one massive project where I had to add electronica to Classical recordings that obviously were not timed to a click.

None of that is surprising as it was not designed for the purpose of composing orchestral style music to picture. Of course you can use it regardless. But IMHO, while you can hire a plumber who also knows how to do electrical work, you are better off with a licensed electrician for your house.

If you disagree, you disagree.

I have a lot of experience with Live. Before i writed orchestral i produced everything with it and its really great, much faster than many of the most established DAWs for some daily rutine procedures. When i started to write orchestral things became a bit more difficult to handle in Live. In my case it was mostly because of the lack of advanced midi editing features, along with the fixed keycommands, etc. There are also some basic things Live cant do as of today: grouping some groups comes to my mind first. At the end i ended up using it for sound design and using Cubase for the rest.

So..can you write orchestral with Live? Absolutely.
Is it just for DJs? Absolutely not.
Is it the best tool for live performance? Most likely.
Is it the best tool for composing/arranging? I´d say no cause it didnt work for me but its free to try so go ahead and come to your own conclusions about it.

I have a lot of experience with Live. Before i writed orchestral i produced everything with it and its really great, much faster than many of the most established DAWs for some daily rutine procedures. When i started to write orchestral things became a bit more difficult to handle in Live. In my case it was mostly because of the lack of advanced midi editing features, along with the fixed keycommands, etc. There are also some basic things Live cant do as of today: grouping some groups comes to my mind first. At the end i ended up using it for sound design and using Cubase for the rest.

Is it the best tool for composing/arranging? I´d say no cause it didnt work for me but its free to try so go ahead and come to your own conclusions about it.

I followed the exact same path as you, starting with Ableton for everything, then trying orchestral composition in it and changing to a different DAW for that (The difference is I changed to Logic and not Cubase). I still use Ableton for everything except orchestral stuff and I just did that because of the missing features I listed in my previous post. It's more a personal preference thing than Ableton's fault.

Having said that, usually Ableton gets bashed for things that have nothing to do with the missing features that I said, or any other concrete reasons. People usually just say vague things like "it's terrible to sync audio" or "it's terrible to export video" or "the latency is so bad". None of that is true.

And there is a plug-in for Live that does notation pretty well called https://www.computermusicnotation.com/ . It does also export midi just fine to Sibelius which I've used for transcription when I don't have time to do it by hand/ear.

I don't know about anybody else but I knew Jay was joking. :D
Thanks,
My final clarified thoughts, just my opinions, which ARE meant to be helpful:

Live is a terrific app but because of the lack of things I listed and Steinmann listed it is not as good a choice for orchestral style composition to picture as Logic Pro, Cubase, Digital Performer, Sonar or Reaper. For songwriting, orchestral style composition for those either not working to picture and who are not married to using a score editor, like me, it is a fine choice. And it definitely is not only suitable for DJ's, which is why my joke was just a joke.

Before Logic Pro had Flex time, I frequently used Live with ReWire along with Logic Pro and it did a fine job, especially on one massive project where I had to add electronica to Classical recordings that obviously were not timed to a click.

None of that is surprising as it was not designed for the purpose of composing orchestral style music to picture. Of course you can use it regardless. But IMHO, while you can hire a plumber who also knows how to do electrical work, you are better off with a licensed electrician for your house.

If you disagree, you disagree.
thanks for the constructive criticism, much more useful than sarcasm, albeit less funny for you I presume.

I would like to know what midi advanced editing features are you talking about, if you don't mind.

Take a look at the presets of the logical editor in Cuabse, just to name a few. Also, the way to manipulate CC data with the mouse in Cubase. Customize views, control room options, Eucon support..its really on another level.

Top Bottom