What's new

City of the Sword - big orchestral piece (featuring CSB)

Kyle

The motif reminds me of something from from Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Not entirely sure why :D

I really like the way you've used the repetition throughout to be honest. Though the regular changes in tone, texture etc definitely make it feel like more of a cue to fit a specific scene rather than a generic library track or classical piece.

CSB is absolutely as good as I was hoping, incredible clarity without sounding synthy. Great work.

Saxer

Great theme! Cinematic impressionism. Big smile at 02:21
Brass sounds superb. The strings are a bit too soaring for my taste.
Very individual composition. Fun to listen. Well done!

Astonishing how much of the music already comes out of Noteperformer!

Last edited:

Paul T McGraw

@jeremenard awesome work. A bit too repetitive for me, but otherwise wow. Good compositional arc, great harmonies, I know how hard it is to work with constantly shifting time signature and you did great with that. The mix and sound are terrific. You have a lot to be proud of with this track.

Thank you for including the score. I always get more out of listening with a score. Also thanks for letting us hear the NotePerformer version. I am constantly impressed by Wallander.

Illico

Samuel Le Tonquèze
As often, I love your orchestration and colors experiments.
How do you achieve constantly shifting time signature? What is the stuff that guides you? Why do you shift from 5/4 to 4/4 then 5/4? Or, could you point me some guide?

EDIT: Thanks for the score link...

OP
jeremiahpena

jeremiahpena

How do you achieve constantly shifting time signature? What is the stuff that guides you? Why do you shift from 5/4 to 4/4 then 5/4? Or, could you point me some guide?
I mostly just go with what feels right. Dorico has a feature where you can write in free time without any time signatures, and then divide it up into bars after the fact. The main motif is generally 9 beats long, but 9/4 seems unwieldy to me. It could be split as 5/4+4/4, or 4/4+5/4, but the former would have a quarter note "pickup" into the 4/4 bar, placing the emphasis on the second quarter note. I wanted it on the first note, so I chose to start with 4/4.

Top Bottom