What's new

CineWinds Core vs. Symphonic Woodwinds

Bluemount Score

Cinesamples CineWinds Core or Spitfire Symphonic Woodwinds

What would be your choice, overall and mainly in terms of realism.
Which one blends better in the mix with other libraries?

NI Symphony Series Woodwinds would be a third choice of mine, but I don‘t think it can compete with the other two, sadly.

CineWinds for loud stuff. SSW for low stuff. But you have to mix it properly (the woods bus fader ends up being at -9dB with CineWinds!)

You can fake a2 patches with the transposition trick so such patches missing in CineWinds is not a deal-breaker.

You can try to simulate some p-pp layers in CineWinds with CC11 and a bit of high-end frequencies roll-off, but it will not be super convincing. On the other hand, you can't simulate at all your ff layer with SSW. But SSW has this singing Air Lyndhurst Hall sound which is absolutely lovely and unfakable with a convolution reverb.

My two cents: it depends on what you produce the most.

> Which one blends better in the mix with other libraries?

Forgot to answer this! CineWinds is easier to blend with other libraries because it's fairly dry.

I don't find one is more realistic than the other one, it's more a matter of the tone and dynamics you're looking for.

Or the articulations: you have more articulations with SSW. (Overblown alto flute and multitonguing seem fairly important to me.)

Price point is the same since you already have the auxiliary instruments with SSW.

Thank you ghandizilla!
As I already own a decent Bass clarinet, Bass flute and very decent Alto Flute from Metropolis Ark 2 (including overblown articulations etc.), these aren‘t as important for me and I don‘t really mind they are missing in CineWinds.
I‘m mainly looking for a great flute and piccolo. Clarinet and Oboe could need an Upgrade as well:)

I‘m not at home this week so there is no access to my composer PC, but as I‘m really curious about it, I might in fact take the oppertunity later. Thanks!

CineWinds for loud stuff. SSW for low stuff.

Owning both, this is very true. I absolutely love SSW when writing for sections and using them in more "symphonic" and textural context. When used in a more exposed context, they are really nice but not necessarily the best ones around. (For that, I recommend BWW). They are also extremely agile compared to Cinewinds, and very playable. It's my #1 WW library which I always grab and try out first when starting a new project. Note also that as mentioned, these don't "go to eleven", so don't expect them to eat your string section for breakfast like you can do with Cinewinds volume-wise.

The scripting in Cinewinds is sometimes really tricky to get working for you. The sound is gorgeous and they are definitely more on the aggressive soloist- side (and don't try to mockup anything williams-ish with those, trust me :P ), but it's a pain in the ass sometimes to get them to sound natural in multi-articulation passages. I'm using some of those in a piece I'm working with at the moment and it takes quite a while to get some more complicated lines working nicely.

Both blend nicely when using dry mics on Spitfire, but naturally Cinewinds is easier to mix with others due to the smaller room as stated earlier as well.

That‘s interesting as well, Henu. Well I like loud strings, percussion and brass for my music, but the woodwinds don’t have to be that epic. In fact, I would like some more symphonic sounds in the woodwinds section.
And I forgot about BWW! Another great choice for sure, not a cheap one though!

I too, have had my eye on a woodwind library. I first thought, 8Dios Claire, solos...and since the sections are small anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal to mimic an a2-3 section if need be. But then someone had mentioned that 8Dio doesn't cut through as well for cinematic/symphonic stuff...so then back to Cinewinds...LOL BWW is out of budget...I get an EDU discount, and 50% off 8Dio at the moment with coupon.

I too, have had my eye on a woodwind library. I first thought, 8Dios Claire, solos...and since the sections are small anyway, I didn't think it was a big deal to mimic an a2-3 section if need be. But then someone had mentioned that 8Dio doesn't cut through as well for cinematic/symphonic stuff...so then back to Cinewinds...LOL BWW is out of budget...I get an EDU discount, and 50% off 8Dio at the moment with coupon.

Any thoughts on Hein? Or do you specifically want a wet library?

Any thoughts on Hein? Or do you specifically want a wet library?

I've listened to his demos and also from what people are saying, it's not a great library. Budget is also a little over $300...I can get EDU discounts...so SF Symphonic WW is also a contender. I do not need them dry, but I don't think I'd like them swimming in the hall either...not sure is SFSWW has a daily dry close mic for their solo instruments. Is Cinewinds wet?

I only have Cinewinds Pro, the sound never gets overly wet, even in the Surround mics.
The stage has a perfect balance between dry and wet, I love that.

Cool. I do own several of Cinesamples libraries, so I’m familiar with the sound, but was curious if they actually recorded the players in their proper depth with the soundstage, and not all at the same distance. Meaning strings closer to conductor and the winds would normally get much more of the room sound, as they’re further back.

Cool. I do own several of Cinesamples libraries, so I’m familiar with the sound, but was curious if they actually recorded the players in their proper depth with the soundstage, and not all at the same distance. Meaning strings closer to conductor and the winds would normally get much more of the room sound, as they’re further back.
They're supposedly recorded in-situ, which means not only left-right perspective but also front-back.

They're supposedly recorded in-situ, which means not only left-right perspective but also front-back.

cool. thanks...decision for a wind library is a lot harder than imagined. Seems ideally, everyone should have at least 2...lol Since no one library covers everything.

Here's an example of how the Room mics sound in Cinewinds Pro, showcasing the Alto Flute, Cor Anglais and Bass Clarinet respectively.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/alto-flute-cor-anglais-and-bass-clarinet-legato-room-mics-mp3.18323/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Alto Flute, Cor Anglais and Bass Clarinet Legato - Room Mics.mp3
    423.6 KB · Views: 175
Here's an example of how the Room mics sound in Cinewinds Pro, showcasing the Alto Flute, Cor Anglais and Bass Clarinet respectively.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/alto-flute-cor-anglais-and-bass-clarinet-legato-room-mics-mp3.18323/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Fairly dry...workable for sure. Thanks for the sample.

I'm eyeing up WW libraries too, Jake. Because I don't have the budget for Berlin, I'm actually opting to wait for Spitfire's upcoming Studio Woodwinds before I pull the trigger on CineWinds.
I tweeted at CH about it a few days ago, and his response made it seem like Studio Woodwinds is reeeaaally close.

I've listened to his demos and also from what people are saying, it's not a great library. Budget is also a little over $300...I can get EDU discounts...so SF Symphonic WW is also a contender. I do not need them dry, but I don't think I'd like them swimming in the hall either...not sure is SFSWW has a daily dry close mic for their solo instruments. Is Cinewinds wet?

Oh interesting, I haven't seen much negativity about them and I love them myself, and if you're looking for a basic set of articulations Compact is about half the budget and full is right around the right price.

As for the other libraries you're considering, I also wish BWW was cheaper! I adore the sound of it. I like the character of Spitfire's winds over Cinewinds although it is a bit more subtle. My favorite two winds have to be VSL and BWW though.

I'm eyeing up WW libraries too, Jake. Because I don't have the budget for Berlin, I'm actually opting to wait for Spitfire's upcoming Studio Woodwinds before I pull the trigger on CineWinds.
I tweeted at CH about it a few days ago, and his response made it seem like Studio Woodwinds is reeeaaally close.

It's driving me nuts..LOL on one hand, I can get 8dio's Claire wind bundle for $299...then I am sure SF studio winds will be cheaper, but when? Could be a month from now as well...and I really can't wait that long. BTW...8dio is also going to release what I'm guessing is the Century WW as they hinted that today. Won't be within a month though...but that's another reason to get the Claire library...bet they'd work perfect together.

Top Bottom