Cinematic Studio Woodwinds?

Kony

Bad ape
Just wondering if anyone has a clue when this might be released? There is no info on the Cinematic Studio website and no announcement has been made yet.

OP
Kony

Kony

Bad ape
Well, it was to deal with questions being asked in a commercial announcement thread for CSB so thought I'd try to move the discussion for CSW over here in sample talk :)

Raphioli

lol We need to think ahead and guess what the next "Cinematic Studio XXXX ?" thread will be?

BTW, the Cinematic Studio series threads having a "?" mark at the end made me chuckle.

lucor

I think woodwinds are a bit easier to sample than brass, which makes me cautiously hopeful that we won't have to wait for them as long as for the brass. :grin:

ScoreFace

I think woodwinds are a bit easier to sample than brass, which makes me cautiously hopeful that we won't have to wait for them as long as for the brass. :grin:
Don't know if I would agree here - I think in both instrument groups there are certain instruments that are a real challenge to be sampled in a realistic way. Yet I'm sure that the guys would do a great job with woodwinds! :)

lucor

Don't know if I would agree here - I think in both instrument groups there are certain instruments that are a real challenge to be sampled in a realistic way.
Definitely, I was thinking more because of logistical reasons. I'm pretty sure brass players are a lot more strained during these recording sessions, resulting in the need of more recording sessions, which results in more money and time spent... Also, creating smooth crossfades for brass is probably a lot harder due to them having much more extreme timbral changes.

Gerbil

I don't know...I've not really come across any library that comes close to catching the real diverse character of woodwinds and I have nearly all of them except the Fluffyaudio set. Cinewinds are much improved but still limited, Berlin and Spitfire I've been quite disappointed with given the price they cost (not that they're bad but they are quite stunted in terms of flexibility). Eastwest's Hollywood Winds aren't really any worse so I don't really get why they're considered a step down; they have their good and bad points just like the others. VSL remain the best in terms of flexibility although I find them a chore to mix so don't use them very much. Audio Modeling and Wallander are brilliantly playable with the aid of a breath controller (and inspiring to use as a result) but I think lack the sound for exposed parts.

Nobody, not one developer, has really managed to capture a fully flexible decent oboe. Berlin have done ok with their Exp B but it's very limited. The clarinet as an instrument has a fantastic dynamic range but there's nothing out there that goes from hollow whisper to raucous scream with all the beauty in between from any developer. It's usually a case of stiching bits of this and that together. Flutes and bassoons have fared a bit better but there's still massive room for improvement.

I'm not quite convined that Cinematic Samples will be the answer as they are, by nature, bare bones libraries. Great sound but basic by design. I would love for someone to come out with the mother of all woodwind libraries!

lucor

I don't know...I've not really come across any library that comes close to catching the real diverse character of woodwinds and I have nearly all of them except the Fluffyaudio set. Cinewinds are much improved but still limited, Berlin and Spitfire I've been quite disappointed with given the price they cost (not that they're bad but they are quite stunted in terms of flexibility). Eastwest's Hollywood Winds aren't really any worse so I don't really get why they're considered a step down; they have their good and bad points just like the others. VSL remain the best in terms of flexibility although I find them a chore to mix so don't use them very much. Audio Modeling and Wallander are brilliantly playable with the aid of a breath controller (and inspiring to use as a result) but I think lack the sound for exposed parts.

Nobody, not one developer, has really managed to capture a fully flexible decent oboe. Berlin have done ok with their Exp B but it's very limited. The clarinet as an instrument has a fantastic dynamic range but there's nothing out there that goes from hollow whisper to raucous scream with all the beauty in between from any developer. It's usually a case of stiching bits of this and that together. Flutes and oboes have fared a bit better but there's still massive room for improvement.

I'm not quite convined that it will be Cinematic Samples will be the answer they are, by nature, bare bones libraries. Great sound but basic by design. I would love for someone to come out with the mother of all woodwind libraries!
Again, I fully agree and was thinking more in logistical terms. Easier is the wrong word, I should have said that it's probably faster to produce a woodwind library than a brass library. :sneaky:

ScoreFace

Again, I fully agree and was thinking more in logistical terms. Easier is the wrong word, I should have said that it's probably faster to produce a woodwind library than a brass library. :sneaky:
Agree - I imagine, for brass players, these sessions might be more fatiguing than for woodwind players. Still it might be easier to catch a natural french horn sound than an oboe. On the other hand, a trumpet also can be very complex and I'm still searching for the full sample trumpet experience;).

btparic

I'm just hoping Alex will sample a really great oboist.
Apart from the Berlin Woodwinds Exp B oboe and the 8Dio Claire Oboe,
there isn't a single sampled oboe that I've taken a liking to.
OMG SAME. I dunno what it is about the oboe that makes it so hard to capture its sweet, plaintive tone (especially in lower dynamics). Most of the sampled oboes I've heard have been rather quacky and obnoxious, so far away from the pure sound you ever hear in live recordings. English horn has a similar problem.

I get the feeling that some people are actually more interested in buying stuff and parking their money somewhere than actually using products and making music.
Guilty! xD