Cinematic Studio Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by URL, Jun 26, 2016.

1. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    POWER LEGATO is so December 2018.

KallumS, constaneum, ThomasL and 3 others like this.
  2. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Member

Dec 10, 2018
    its an articulation naming from metropolis ark 4.

which mostly just meant edgy exaggerated transitions.(or clumsy little ghost notes)

3. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

It's the new revolution in legato that happened. Look around you. Doesn't everything look so different now?

jamwerks, constaneum and Meetyhtan like this.
  4. Meetyhtan

Meetyhtan New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Osnabrück, Germany
    It was meant to be a joke, but either its outdated or not famous enough :D (maybe both)

constaneum and Casiquire like this.
  5. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Hahahhaha. I've not been following lots of things lately, especially libraries like metropolis ask series and etc. Ahhahah

Casiquire likes this.
  6. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Guess I better go look back. Previously was like what ? Performance legato ? I wonder how powerful can powerful legato be compared to performance legato.

7. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I'd rather power legato, all jokes aside XD

I honestly ended up using the regular legato patches most of the time(although I would probably do the same with Met Ark 4 too, but that's because POWER LEGATO isn't really a replacement for regular legato)

I do think it's funny though, they never really advertised power legato as some sort of game changer or next gen, people just saw the name of the articulation and ran with it :rofl: poor OT.

Meetyhtan, constaneum and jbuhler like this.
  8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    That’s what happens when all you release about a library is its articulation list. If they’d released several demos and a walkthrough when they announced the library I doubt POWER LEGATO would have turned into the running gag it did.

9. oxo

oxo Active Member

Feb 27, 2011
    but keep in mind, a power legato is only the real thing if it is a deep sampling power legato with perfect imperfection. :sneaky:

jbuhler likes this.
  10. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    No worries, I was behind the curve too. I thought someone just made up "power legato" and everyone ran with it. To this day I still barely get what "Ark" is trying to do lmao.

jbuhler and constaneum like this.
  11. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

ahhaha. so far, i think spitfire audio did a really great job on performance legato. I wonder whether power legato would be something similar? Just that the naming is different.

Casiquire likes this.
  12. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Member

Dec 10, 2018
    no, its nothing like performance legato.

its not even like any legato, it's just a bit on the wild side, exaggerated/bumpy transitions.

performance legato is just "less lazy" programming, more akin to what MOST companies use.

berlin strings legato patches have variable sustain patches(which effects the note attack) based on velocity, variable transitions based on time between notes, and NV-VB(sometimes 2 vibratos)

So berlin strings regular legato is already "performance legato"

but ark 4 POWER LEGATO is not a replacement for a legato patch(which those instruments have included regular legato patches for... legato)

but yes, having ark 4 for a little now, it's definitely an identity crisis - although I'm still glad I have it, I picked it up to re-inforce my other OT libraries, not a one stop for POWER LEGATO

I still wish I could get CSS legato scripting on BS... CSS is still THE king of rebowed legato

Meetyhtan and jbuhler like this.
  13. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Idk why we didn't start calling all non "advanced legato", "primitive legato", after CSS...

Yeah, I like lass with it's primitive legato

Casiquire and jbuhler like this.
  14. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

i actually think spitfire audio's performance legato really works great based on the walkthrough.

Casiquire likes this.
  15. hypnotize

hypnotize New Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Hello colleagues! I need to make the sound of the strings under the vintage 70-s. I have CSS, and don’t want to use other libraries. Tried Big Fish Audio - Vintage Strings and didn’t like it, there is no good legato and other shortcomings.
    What advise in processing CSS? Saturation? Light overdrive?

16. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    hmmm...probably use the close mics only and apply a bit of Hi-pass to remove some of the low/bassy frequencies

17. LowweeK

LowweeK Loïc D

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    I’d try Tape saturation and both ends EQing to reduce the bandwidth.
    Maybe izotope Vinyl (free) could be helpful.
    70’s strings sound is also a lot about the writing/arrangement.

constaneum likes this.
  18. Igor Sena

Igor Sena Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Lisbon, Portugal

Hello, there :)

Do you happen to know of any plug-in who does this same thing for usage in other DAW?

Best regards.

midiman likes this.
  19. midiman

midiman Active Member

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Hello Igor. I am sorry, I don't know of a plug in that does this. But I believe there must be a similar thing you could do in other DAWs. Maybe someone else in the forum knows...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    Igor Sena likes this.
  20. Igor Sena

Igor Sena Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi =)

I have asked in my DAW´s respective forum but its been weeks and no answer yet. Can´t find much on the web, besides voxengo delay, etc but those don´t do the job.

Thank you very much anyway. Best regards.