What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings

Thx for responses!

Wow, I didn't know that. I've tried to find anything about it but there's nothing on CS2 or CSS product pages. Where did you get the information from? Man, buying CS2 for 299 and CSS for 279 later would be fantastic, I think I'd take them both then. :grin:

The offer was sent out by email to all CS2 owners, and he mentions there is no expiration. To be sure you can email Alex and ask if the discount applies to new CS2 customers. He's a great guy. :)

The problem is all the different types of legato have different lengths (Fast-100ms, Medium-250, Slow-333ms). So if you have a part that uses the different speeds you'll have to tweak each individual note for it to be in time.

What a lot of us are asking is that all the legatos have the same latency (333ms for example) that way all we have to do is adjust the track delay compensation (I'm using Cubase) and all the notes will be in time.

Yeah I understood that and that's why I said that sample offset would be a good idea but might also be more work than it's worth. If you're using Cubase it's really easy. Just make one logic command for each type of legato and it should be solved.

I don't to see what the problem is. If you don't like the different legato speeds don't use them just set all of your note velocity to 127 and all the transitions will be 100ms right?

Yes, i would like that as well.

How could you have all legatos with the same latency?? The whole point is that they have different speeds, thus they have different latencies. I do not have any problem with the lateness. I just create a Macro on Cubase where I select the notes and pull them all back by 333ms.

How could you have all legatos with the same latency?? The whole point is that they have different speeds, thus they have different latencies. I do not have any problem with the lateness. I just create a Macro on Cubase where I select the notes and pull them all back by 333ms.
By padding the quicker legato transitions to create a fixed latency time regardless of which legato is in use. I agree that this would be nice; I could just set a fixed ms offset on my string legato tracks and not have to think about it any more. (However, this setting would probably make CSS more tricky to play live, especially with the resultant laggy effect on fast runs.)

Yeah I understood that and that's why I said that sample offset would be a good idea but might also be more work than it's worth. If you're using Cubase it's really easy. Just make one logic command for each type of legato and it should be solved.

I don't to see what the problem is. If you don't like the different legato speeds don't use them just set all of your note velocity to 127 and all the transitions will be 100ms right?

Never said it was a deal breaker, never said I wouldn't still use it. Love this library. But it would be nice if there was 1 ms setting for each type of legato and shorts btw (and no, I don't think there is) that worked across the board.

Man... I need some sort of system that emails me the next time Alex posts here. I think I've lost the will to purchase libraries until Cinematic Studio Brass comes out...

If you're using Cubase it's really easy. Just make one logic command for each type of legato and it should be solved.

Actually I do use Cubase :), could you take a screenshot of how you would setup the Logical Editor (I haven't had much experience with it). Thanks

Just bought CS2! :dancer:Cannot wait to play it!

It's really nice to know I'll have this sweet discount on CSS whenever I decide to buy it. :)

Just bought CS2! :dancer:Cannot wait to play it!

It's really nice to know I'll have this sweet discount on CSS whenever I decide to buy it. :)

Two terrific libraries. Dirty little secret: even when I worked for EW, for clients who wanted a lush string sound but did not need all the flexibility of Hollywood Strings and all the voluminous articulation choices, or did not have systems that were powerful enough for it, I recommended CS 2 on the down low, and they all were really happy with it.

And I have a second question:
In which way is CSS different from CS2 and where/how does it complement CS2?

Can you share? Would love to see how it works :)
Hi Gabriel, You need to first use the logical editor to create a process logical preset to shift all selected notes by altering the start time by 333ms (name it minus 333ms for instance). Once you create that process, that preset name will show up on the key commands list (inside the key commands folder "process logical preset", and all you have to do is assign a key command to it. You could create one process logical preset for each speed of legato. I only created the 333ms as it is the one I use the most. So in fact it is not even a macro, it is just a shortcut to a process logical preset. Let me know if you need any further assistance on this. It is very fast and easy to do, and really streamlines the process of sequencing on CSS. It is worth it, because CSS is probably the best string library out there, in terms of realism and quality of sound and expression.
Hope this helps.

And I have a second question:
In which way is CSS different from CS2 and where/how does it complement CS2?
I can only say that CSS is on a different level than CS2. I have both. CSS is an absolute NEXT GEN library. One of the best string libraries in years, and one which will be hard to beat in quality, and usability. It has become my no.1 string library, and I have most of them.

Last edited:
Two terrific libraries. Dirty little secret: even when I worked for EW, for clients who wanted a lush string sound but did not need all the flexibility of Hollywood Strings and all the voluminous articulation choices, or did not have systems that were powerful enough for it, I recommended CS 2 on the down low, and they all were really happy with it.
Yea, I finally got to play with CS2 and it sounds great! It has that big orchestra sound from the era of romantism just ready to perform some Wagner or Batman Begins. :inlove: Really happy with it too. :)

Those of you who have been using CS2 and have bought CSS... do you see any reason to have both libraries (given this is $578 with discounts) vs just paying full price for CSS. Tempted to do a "Consona" and wait for CSS, given that Alex says the coupon is good forever but part of me feels I really don't need both libs and I should just get CSS... even though I end up loosing out on both "deals"... then again, I could live with CS2 for a long time and have more money for daBrass...

Thinking about getting this library. Can anyone tell me how well the measured trem patch plays live on the keyboard? Does it require lots of adjusting the key velocities afterwards to sound good? And how many round Robins is there in this patch? Maybe there is a video or audio out there of Someone playing around with the meas trems patch on the keyboard? Would love to know.
I was impressed with the demo on their site of the patch but want to know how it plays live on the keyboard.

Spitfire and Eastwest meas trems are controlled with Mod wheel or expression, and difficult to make a lot of those accents in the phrase. I know adagio has a spic repetition patch based on key velocity, but it isnt time synced. So this library would fill this gap, but just wondering what your experiences are with it.

Does anyone know how CSS compares to Cinestrings?

In which way are you wondering?
CSS is smaller in sections sizes (sort of like Berlin-sized) CineStrings is Mahler-sized (like Hollywood Strings)

Both are on a sound stage but I find CSS to be less noisy, more controlled room than the Sony Stage (which is wetter)

Legato ability cannot be compared- CSS has WAYYY more abilities in this regard for realism. CineStrings has one version of non portamento, very direct legato (it's awesome) but it is all there is.

Tone-wise, I never cared for CineStrings longs, CSS is so lush and awesome. The shorts of CineStrings are amazingly accurate and consistent. So for epic stuff it works well.

In which way are you wondering?
CSS is smaller in sections sizes (sort of like Berlin-sized) CineStrings is Mahler-sized (like Hollywood Strings)

Both are on a sound stage but I find CSS to be less noisy, more controlled room than the Sony Stage (which is wetter)

Legato ability cannot be compared- CSS has WAYYY more abilities in this regard for realism. CineStrings has one version of non portamento, very direct legato (it's awesome) but it is all there is.

Tone-wise, I never cared for CineStrings longs, CSS is so lush and awesome. The shorts of CineStrings are amazingly accurate and consistent. So for epic stuff it works well.
That answers my question. Thank you!

Top Bottom