What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings - new sample library from the creators of CS2 - out now!

Alex W

Hi everyone,

We’re very excited to announce the release of our brand new strings sample library Cinematic Studio Strings. Capturing the sound of a Hollywood-style string section seated in position, CSS was recorded meticulously in a world-class scoring stage, and is the first installment in our forthcoming Cinematic Studio Series. While CS2 gave you a full, lush concert hall sound, with the new series we’ve opted for a more versatile Hollywood studio sound that will be suited to an even wider range of applications. The series will feature the entire orchestra including piano (also out now), solo strings, brass, woodwind and percussion.

CSS boasts stunning true-to-life dynamics, a wide variety of articulations, and a remarkably realistic legato engine. The combination of beautiful ribbon and condenser microphones, recorded at three mic distances, gives the library a lush and versatile sound out-of-the-box. At the heart of CSS is our intuitive and efficient GUI with its short-but-sweet patch list, easily assignable keyswitches and MIDI CCs, and a full mixer with output routing options and reverb.

With its incredible blend of authenticity and playability, and at the very affordable price of $399, you can have CSS working alongside you on your latest project in no time! Existing CS2 customers will receive a 30% discount - you will receive an email with this special offer.

For the first month, we are giving 50% off our new piano library, Cinematic Studio Piano, as a bonus to purchasers of CSS. CSP was recorded in the same space with the same techniques and is designed to blend seamlessly with the strings. The usual price of CSP will be a very low $69. Both libraries available now for Kontakt and Kontakt Player.

Cinematic Studio Strings has the following articulations:
  • Legato, including legato repetition and portamento
  • Spiccato, staccatissimo, staccato and sfz (long staccato)
  • Marcato / fast runs
  • Pizzicato, including Bartok snaps
  • Col legno
  • Harmonics
  • Tremolo
  • Trills (half and whole)
  • Measured tremolo (tempo sync and free sync)
  • Con sordino emulation (whole library)

I hope you enjoy the demos. For more information and videos, please visit our website at https://www.cinematicstudioseries.com/ - be sure to check out both the strings and piano pages, as they each have their own set of videos and demos. If you have any questions about either product, just ask. :)

Thanks for listening!

I love it. No fluffy teasers and over hype. Out of nowhere, a major release from a developer with a reputation for excellent quality, and available now.

CS2 has been a solid workhorse: wonderful sound, far fewer quality problems than other libraries of its ilk, and quite reasonably priced.

I like what I hear so far, and I think CSS could be well positioned to become the new de facto recommendation here for users looking for their first string library.

I only wish it had real con sord. :)

Congrats on the release, Alex!

Wow this came out of nowhere, great to see that you guys are still around! CS2 is still one of my favourite libraries to this day and unparalled in ease of use, so I'm really excited for this and the other upcoming libraries.
And we will even get the Brass, Woods and Solo Strings within the next 6 months?! Can't wait. :elephant:

Alex, out of curiosity, what are the section sizes in CSS?

The new legato engine sounds fantastic. 30% off as an existing CS2 user? I'm sold -- it's a no brainer.

Last edited:
no doubt, those libs are winners.

and brass,woodwinds, percussion and solo strings will come aswell.

awesome!

So far from my headphone: Very cool Sound! The only thing is with that 2nd Violin runs they are not so much to my liking I have to say...but the shorts and legato are really strong points though. Ecspecially all the shorts.

Last edited:
I really appreciate the keyswitch CC option. I can see the convenience of using modwheel to selection various short articulations but the keyswitch CC will mesh much better with my template, and, of course, CC chasing. Very well thought out.

Why not use Spitfire's UACC though?

Last edited:
Hi Alex, it sounds great! I also find the piano lovely. How much is the educational discount? Thank you

Thanks! Yep, we do offer educational discounts - please go to the website and click on the Education link down the bottom of the page. :)

so the whole orchestra is beeing recorded in the same studio in correct seating position?

i dont want any release date on brass or woodwinds but any infos on this would be welcome :)

Lovely tone and very clever features. Two questions:

1. How many RRs do the short articulations have?
2. Is it possible to hear a a short demo crossfading from non vib to molto vib?

Thanks a lot. :)

Unfortunately I'm running into issues (at least with 1st violins) with notes randomly going 8va and then resolving (crossfading?) back to the proper note on their own.

I'll send a support request with a video and MIDI file showing the problem later today.

Nevermind. I should have known better than to doubt the quality of CSS.

Last edited:
so the whole orchestra is beeing recorded in the same studio in correct seating position?

i dont want any release date on brass or woodwinds but any infos on this would be welcome :)
Website says 2016. And don't forget the Soloists :)

Congrats on the release Alex, this sounds darn sexy!

Lovely tone and very clever features. Two questions:

1. How many RRs do the short articulations have?
2. Is it possible to hear a a short demo crossfading from non vib to molto vib?

Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks. :)

1. bartok snaps and sfz have 2xrr. col legno, pizz and staccato have 4xrr. spiccato and staccatissimo have 5. We also used some editing and programming tricks to ensure randomisation.
2. yep, I'll try to get on that in the morning (it's 1:15am here) :)

I don't get it - instead of upgrading CS2, I have to get a whole new lib? If it would do something fundamentally different than CS2, that would be understood. A new piano, brass etc. lib - OK. But to get another string lib which must - in some manner or other - cover the same ground as CS2, sounds strange to my - obviously unaccustomed - ears. I would be happy to upgrade, but even after the discount for CS2 owners, this is quite a hefty sum, considering the above. Would be happy if someone would clarigy the logic behind this to me.

Top Bottom