Cinematic Studio Strings - new sample library from the creators of CS2 - out now!

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Alex W, Jun 26, 2016.

1. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Well..I'd rather not program. Do you have both?

2. Gerbil

Gerbil Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Yes. I think CSS is superior as far as legato goes but I find it a bit laborious to use so far. Then again, I haven't used it very much and I want to try and learn to perform with it. I play the church organ so the lag shouldn't be a big issue but it's just the fact that there's three different delays that throws me.

I think the runs on CS2 are superior and the pizz is better. It's also a noisier library. Tbh, it would be difficult to choose one or the other if I was starting out now.

3. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    That's my problem too...I like the sound of CS2 better, I think, but I do want the better legato also. Are the shorts in general comparable? I don't mind the crazy delay, I tend to play ahead of the beat with strings anyway...got used to it from old synth types where the attacks were slow and had to compensate.

4. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    If you set the track delay to -60ms, the short notes in CSS are exactly on the beat. Otherwise it has a bit of natural delay.

CS2 short notes are obviously way bigger sounding, because it's more of a symphonic sized ensemble. It's a great sound, but not very percussive. I prefer CSS because I generally like smaller, more textured and more punchy strings, especially when it comes to short notes. I absolutely love the tightness, texture and variety of CSS. It has spiccato, staccatissimo, staccato and sfz, while CS2 comes with staccatissimo and staccato only. I actually mainly bought CSS after hearing the short notes in the walkthrough to be able to do a particular piece that I wasn't able to quite work out with other string libraries.

This is very much a question of preference. If you're looking for big, broad and massive, it's CS2. If you're into tight, focused and textured, it's CSS.

Christof likes this.
  5. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
  6. Gerbil

Gerbil Active Member

Nov 14, 2017
    There's definitely more variety in CSS as jimmy says but in real time performance, when I'm playing, I rarely just use spiccs or staccs in isolation. There are often slurs all over the place and that's where I find CS2 just a bit easier to control.

Attached Files:

7. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I love the cleanliness of the second one...CSS I take it?

8. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Yes, the 2nd one is CSS.

I used it all over the place in this one. The tutti passages are CSS. A bit of Berlin First Chairs (another library I bought for the short notes) layered on top, but you still get a real good idea of the CSS short note arsenal.

jaketanner likes this.
  9. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    I think CSS and CSB are overdue for a sale.
    Good marketing sense says a spring sale right before Audiobro releases what could possibly be the best brass library ever would be a smart move....

evilantal likes this.
  10. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Isn't CSB less than a year old? Not sure about any sale..LOL But if you are a student or educator, you get 25% off.

constaneum likes this.
  11. Tekkera

Tekkera Member

Mar 6, 2017
    It hasn't even been 6 months

constaneum likes this.
  12. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

it's not even half a year old. ahha

13. Robert_G

Robert_G It really is just an expensive hobby for me

Feb 6, 2019
    Did it not qualify for the BF sale last year?

14. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

if not mistaken, it was released end of last year right? They offer loyalty discounts to existing owner of cinematic studio series. i'm curious with the upcoming woodwinds. =)

15. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    CSS update after downloading: They sound good overall. Not the fastest legato or short articulations I have. It is sluggish when going really fast, where my 8Dio Adagietto marcato patch blows it away.

I also wish they had included a slider or something to control vibrato without the need to buy a separate controller (or am I missing something?).

Still playing around with it...gonna write something with it later today and take it through it's paces.

16. ricoderks

ricoderks Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Limburg
    It's supposed to be sluggish for more realistic legato lines. You could try the marcato patch with or without staccato overlay for faster legato. Or try the classic legato patches. You can set the vibrato control to any cc you want. Standard is CC2. But there is no visual slider in the gui.

Cheers!

jaketanner likes this.
  17. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    It's hard to tell if it's going to be sluggish on playback also. And having weird issues, where it's delayed on input, but playback seems to be more on time. I thought for sure, it would be the other way around. Anyway...LOL More experimenting.

18. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    it's an issue that has been talked to death here about the CSS delay. its INTENTIONAL and the idea is if you quantize each note to the grid and then set a negative delay for each note depending on how fast you want each transition, its should sound flawless on playback. @NoamL has even created a script to help deal with it.

19. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Just to update everyone… The issue with the delay was more of a pro tools issue. I opened it in Cubase and was nearly no discernible delay at all for me. Perfectly playable.

I am well aware that the delay is intentional… But I was having issues above and beyond. Lol

Thanks to all who replied.

galactic orange likes this.
  20. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    BTW...if you are ever going to create fast runs with CSS...best to use the standard legato, as the advanced legato requires a harder velocity...for me on a synth like action, the standard legato performed such better and was easier to get the runs down. Advanced is good for general playing, but if you know for sure you will be playing fast, then no need for advanced. Am I missing anything that advanced does other than give you a medium speed?