What's new

Cinematic Studio Strings, it worth if you already own other libraries ?

M.M. Music

Hi everyone, i already own Hollywood Strings Diamod, Lass, Symphony Essential, Action Strings, Furia Staccato strings and UVI Orchestral Suite, i'm not satisfied with those samples for a fast out of the box sound, i'm looking for great spiccato/staccato strings with a grit sound like LASS but with a more big sound, i really tempted by CSS but i wonder if i can get the sound that i'm looking for with these or layering these, i really don't want to waste 400 dollars. I liked also Adagietto, also the sus patches, but i read that the shorts aren't good on fast passages. I also liked Adventure Strings but CSS seems to have more attack. Could you help me please ?

I will also use these strings on the audiojungle epic track.

Thanks

I find spiccato is not their main strength, but legato is unparalleled.
Strictly for the spiccatos I wouldn't get it. they're decent, but nothing to write home about

I find spiccato is not their main strength, but legato is unparalleled.
Strictly for the spiccatos I wouldn't get it. they're decent, but nothing to write home about
Thanks, and what do you prefear for spiccato ? From the demo i heard a punchy and gritty attack and a big body and room on CSS

Performance Samples Fluid Shorts does pretty much what you want and is currently on sale for $39. Also have a look at Ostinato Strings by Sonokonetic.

Performance Samples Fluid Shorts does pretty much what you want and is currently on sale for $39. Also have a look at Ostinato Strings by Sonokonetic.
I just discover Fluid Shorts and than i read your post, they sound really great! Maybe i can layer those shorts with some more big sound, because fluid shorts seem sounds so detailed but also not so big

Thanks, and what do you prefear for spiccato ? From the demo i heard a punchy and gritty attack and a big body and room on CSS
don't get me wrong they are absolutely fine, but I just think they are nothing special for my taste.
and CSS usually needs some eq-ing.
If you like it on demos, you should definitely get them, they are perfectly programmed and edited and its a joy to use them

Personally I mainly use SCS and SSS for shorts, but I'm not going for ultra gritty sounds. For the extra grit I layer adagio spiccs, but I heavily edited those myself, they are really bad out of the box timing wise
Cinesamples are great aswell, but they have the same timing flaws, so I edited them aswell.

To make it sound big you want to layer 4-5 different patches/libraries. I layer Albion, Spitfire Chamber Strings, Adventure Strings and Adagietto.

To make it sound big you want to layer 4-5 different patches/libraries. I layer Albion, Spitfire Chamber Strings, Adventure Strings and Adagietto.
You mean Albion One ? Can Adagietto achieve fast passages where you can hear all the notes ? Many composer use Albion One or Spitfire for layering, are those shorts so good ?

CSS spicc and stacc are really great. Very tight and snappy, and they handle fast, rhythmic and intricate passages exceptionally well. I actually bought the library specifically for this. It's the best string library for this kind of stuff at the moment IMO.

I recently did a piece that showcases a lot of CSS short notes. Take a listen here if you like.
All the tutti parts are CSS (with some Berlin Strings First Chairs layered in - but nonetheless, they're very tight and punchy on their own).

The library has a stereo mixdown of all 3 mic positions that's very workable out of the box. Since it's a tight room ambience, you can easily
add your own reverb tail if needed. The library is a bit on the darker side tonewise, but you can very easily add a bit more top end with an EQ.

The legato is gorgeous as well.

Keep in mind that it's a medium sized ensemble - not over the top huge, so the short notes retain their snappiness and grit. Which is great - short note samples of large ensembles often tend to sound mushy and unprecise IMO.

Top Bottom