Cinematic Studio Strings, it worth if you already own other libraries ?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by M.M. Music, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:01 AM.

1. M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Hi everyone, i already own Hollywood Strings Diamod, Lass, Symphony Essential, Action Strings, Furia Staccato strings and UVI Orchestral Suite, i'm not satisfied with those samples for a fast out of the box sound, i'm looking for great spiccato/staccato strings with a grit sound like LASS but with a more big sound, i really tempted by CSS but i wonder if i can get the sound that i'm looking for with these or layering these, i really don't want to waste 400 dollars. I liked also Adagietto, also the sus patches, but i read that the shorts aren't good on fast passages. I also liked Adventure Strings but CSS seems to have more attack. Could you help me please ?

I will also use these strings on the audiojungle epic track.

Thanks

2. OP
    OP
    M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I would have a result like these shorts, are Spitfire, CSS or other ?

3. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    FEIW, when I’m looking for gritty shorts, I usually layer a few tracks of LASS.

constaneum likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks NYC Composer, i like the gritty shorts of LASS but it sounds to me not so big, even if i add a big reverb

5. kavinsky

kavinsky misty orchard in the middle of Czechoslovakia

Jul 4, 2012
    I find spiccato is not their main strength, but legato is unparalleled.
    Strictly for the spiccatos I wouldn't get it. they're decent, but nothing to write home about

6. OP
    OP
    M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks, and what do you prefear for spiccato ? From the demo i heard a punchy and gritty attack and a big body and room on CSS

7. zolhof

zolhof Senior Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Silent Hill
    Performance Samples Fluid Shorts does pretty much what you want and is currently on sale for $39. Also have a look at Ostinato Strings by Sonokonetic.

M.M. Music likes this.
  8. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I don’t disagree, but for “dig” and “grit”, what’s better?

9. OP
    OP
    M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I just discover Fluid Shorts and than i read your post, they sound really great! Maybe i can layer those shorts with some more big sound, because fluid shorts seem sounds so detailed but also not so big

10. kavinsky

kavinsky misty orchard in the middle of Czechoslovakia

Jul 4, 2012
    don't get me wrong they are absolutely fine, but I just think they are nothing special for my taste.
    and CSS usually needs some eq-ing.
    If you like it on demos, you should definitely get them, they are perfectly programmed and edited and its a joy to use them

Personally I mainly use SCS and SSS for shorts, but I'm not going for ultra gritty sounds. For the extra grit I layer adagio spiccs, but I heavily edited those myself, they are really bad out of the box timing wise
    Cinesamples are great aswell, but they have the same timing flaws, so I edited them aswell.

M.M. Music likes this.
  11. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    To make it sound big you want to layer 4-5 different patches/libraries. I layer Albion, Spitfire Chamber Strings, Adventure Strings and Adagietto.

M.M. Music likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    M.M. Music

M.M. Music Member

Jul 26, 2015
    You mean Albion One ? Can Adagietto achieve fast passages where you can hear all the notes ? Many composer use Albion One or Spitfire for layering, are those shorts so good ?

13. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    CSS spicc and stacc are really great. Very tight and snappy, and they handle fast, rhythmic and intricate passages exceptionally well. I actually bought the library specifically for this. It's the best string library for this kind of stuff at the moment IMO.

I recently did a piece that showcases a lot of CSS short notes. Take a listen here if you like.
    All the tutti parts are CSS (with some Berlin Strings First Chairs layered in - but nonetheless, they're very tight and punchy on their own).

The library has a stereo mixdown of all 3 mic positions that's very workable out of the box. Since it's a tight room ambience, you can easily
    add your own reverb tail if needed. The library is a bit on the darker side tonewise, but you can very easily add a bit more top end with an EQ.

The legato is gorgeous as well.

Keep in mind that it's a medium sized ensemble - not over the top huge, so the short notes retain their snappiness and grit. Which is great - short note samples of large ensembles often tend to sound mushy and unprecise IMO.

constaneum, M.M. Music and Henu like this.
  14. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Legato is their main strength. Shorts ok except for pizzicato. Pizzicato I tend to use symphobia's.

M.M. Music likes this.