What's new

Cinematic Studio Solo Strings - available now!

Hello all!

I've just finished a piece using CSSS and I must say that I have mixed feelings about the library. The solo in the second half is Embertone's Joshua Bell violin.

So, I was expecting a set of instruments that will replace any other library for all of my needs in solo strings writing, just as CSS replaced everything and became the staple in my orchestral template! I am afraid that CSSS has some weaknesses that limit their capability when used exposed.
Now, please bear in mind that this is the first time I used the instruments, my skill-set isn't the best and that perhaps the library isn't as suited for my slow paced writing.

Here are some of the more noticeable problems I encountered:

1) There is some cross-fading in dynamics, especially in the 1rst transition (from p to mp).
2) There is even more noticeable cross-fading between non-vibrato and vibrato transitioning.
Both of the above can be hided by trying different legato speed transitions and CC2 envelope timings, however there is need for some trial and error.
3) The marcato articulation doesn't sound good like the legato articulation, however, the latter feels like it is struggling in faster passages.
4) Just like in CSS, there are inconsistencies in volume between the different short articulation styles. I feel that this is by design because some techniques are louder than others, however, the same velocity note can have very different volume and alternating between spiccato / staccatissimo / staccato / Sforzando also needs some trial and error.

All that being said, I really like the sound of the library! I haven't tried yet as 1rst chairs with CSS but I trust it will be adding detail and a "higher frequencies flavor" that I tend to compensate with EQ in CSS.
The recordings are consistent, there isn't any phasing issues and the mixing options are there! If enough effort is put, the library can sound fantastic as a quartet (in my piece I used 2 cellos, I wish there was a Contrabass)! The 2nd violin and the lower register on the viola are amazing!
Rebowing sounds very good (better than CSS in my opinion) and the legato, with a bit of work, can sound great!

I do own Samplemodeling's strings and I was using these up until now. Performance wise they are top-notch, nothing can beat their expressive capabilities, however their sound leaves something to be desired. CSSS blends this gap for me. On a side note, Embertone's new violin does deliver something special! It has it's quirks but this is for an other topic!

Sorry for the long post!

Elias

Wonderful composition, Elias! :2thumbs:

Hello all!

I've just finished a piece using CSSS and I must say that I have mixed feelings about the library. The solo in the second half is Embertone's Joshua Bell violin.

So, I was expecting a set of instruments that will replace any other library for all of my needs in solo strings writing, just as CSS replaced everything and became the staple in my orchestral template! I am afraid that CSSS has some weaknesses that limit their capability when used exposed.
Now, please bear in mind that this is the first time I used the instruments, my skill-set isn't the best and that perhaps the library isn't as suited for my slow paced writing.

Here are some of the more noticeable problems I encountered:

1) There is some cross-fading in dynamics, especially in the 1rst transition (from p to mp).
2) There is even more noticeable cross-fading between non-vibrato and vibrato transitioning.
Both of the above can be hided by trying different legato speed transitions and CC2 envelope timings, however there is need for some trial and error.
3) The marcato articulation doesn't sound good like the legato articulation, however, the latter feels like it is struggling in faster passages.
4) Just like in CSS, there are inconsistencies in volume between the different short articulation styles. I feel that this is by design because some techniques are louder than others, however, the same velocity note can have very different volume and alternating between spiccato / staccatissimo / staccato / Sforzando also needs some trial and error.

All that being said, I really like the sound of the library! I haven't tried yet as 1rst chairs with CSS but I trust it will be adding detail and a "higher frequencies flavor" that I tend to compensate with EQ in CSS.
The recordings are consistent, there isn't any phasing issues and the mixing options are there! If enough effort is put, the library can sound fantastic as a quartet (in my piece I used 2 cellos, I wish there was a Contrabass)! The 2nd violin and the lower register on the viola are amazing!
Rebowing sounds very good (better than CSS in my opinion) and the legato, with a bit of work, can sound great!

I do own Samplemodeling's strings and I was using these up until now. Performance wise they are top-notch, nothing can beat their expressive capabilities, however their sound leaves something to be desired. CSSS blends this gap for me. On a side note, Embertone's new violin does deliver something special! It has it's quirks but this is for an other topic!

Sorry for the long post!

Elias

Wonderful piece. Almost forgot that im listening to a virtual instrument with this Joshua Bell!!! (wondering if I should get it if I already have Bohemian Vilon).
What percussion is this btw Elias?

@Batrawi , Thanks! From what I hear, the Bohemian series can produce some amassing stuff! JB violin has a great sound and flexibility, this is the first time I tried using it (one of the reasons the solo is on the second part is because that's when it come out at the time I was composing the piece:laugh:), so, I barely scratched the surface of it...

The percussion are a Bendir and a Davul from Ancient Era Persia!

@FGBR , thank you again, perhaps I will!:P

Today I had the time to experiment more with CSS and I had found out how important it is to use the pedal (CC-64-sustain). Just amazing!

Maybe it is also important to use it with the solo instruments, what I have not bought yet.

Just purchased this library yesterday after hearing it and being persuaded by everyones' opinions here! However, I'm running into something strange. Has anyone here tried using it with Ableton Live? I cannot adjust the individual instrument/mic levels, and the panning follows suite.

Note that this only happens for me in Ableton Live. No problems at all in standalone mode, in Sonar, and in Maschine.

Wish I didn't have to update to Kontakt 5.7 but I had to for this lib :(

Watch below:

Last edited:
Just purchased this library yesterday after hearing it and being persuaded by everyones' opinions here! However, I'm running into something strange. Has anyone here tried using it with Ableton Live? I cannot adjust the individual instrument/mic levels, and the panning follows suite.

Note that this only happens for me in Ableton Live. No problems at all in standalone mode, in Sonar, and in Maschine.

Wish I didn't have to update to Kontakt 5.7 but I had to for this lib :(

Hi Shenrei, thanks for purchasing CSSS. :) Sorry for the hassle - we know about this issue and are working towards a fix. In fact, we believe we may have one - if you could please contact us via the support button on our website, I'll send you a link to an updated set of patches that will hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Alex :)

Hi Shenrei, thanks for purchasing CSSS. :) Sorry for the hassle - we know about this issue and are working towards a fix. In fact, we believe we may have one - if you could please contact us via the support button on our website, I'll send you a link to an updated set of patches that will hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Alex :)

Great to know! Thanks Alex!

Beautiful sound from this library. I thought I had enough strings with Embertone, LASS and Albion ONE oh yeah and VSL solo and chamber, but CSSS... Really tempting

Here you go, it happens when playing the notes E1 then G#1 Legato Style, on the Classic Cello Sustain, and the standard Cello Sustain Articulation, at the highest dynamic range, with Vibrato Enabled.

Hi Alex,

Any plans to fix this issue via an update ?

That’s the string hitting the fingerboard, normal in high intensity and passionate playing, when you hit strings with all the force of your left hand. Especially the lowest string has a tendency to that. Apart from that it’s a hallmark of a strong left hand technique, so us players don’t mind, its almost a badge of honor. Maybe not ideal in a sampling session, but difficult not to do when you’re playing with passion.

That’s the string hitting the fingerboard, normal in high intensity and passionate playing, when you hit strings with all the force of your left hand. Especially the lowest string has a tendency to that. Apart from that it’s a hallmark of a strong left hand technique, so us players don’t mind, its almost a badge of honor. Maybe not ideal in a sampling session, but difficult not to do when you’re playing with passion.
I figured as much, I'm not a cellist so I don't know much about that, but I assumed it had something to do with it. Besides, I think it sounds way better with it as well. I always loved when the strings hit the board from either the bow or hand due to force. Thanks for clearing it up, learn something new everyday

Interesting, although this might add some realism if heard once, but in a repetition figure, it would sound odd, and fake. I have not heard this string hit sound in other Solo Cello libraries, and in other cello section libraries, so imho. it is not the norm as far as sample libraries are concerned, and I personally could do without that sound.

Interesting, although this might add some realism if heard once, but in a repetition figure, it would sound odd, and fake. I have not heard this string hit sound in other Solo Cello libraries, and in other cello section libraries, so imho. it is not the norm as far as sample libraries are concerned, and I personally could do without that sound.
I can confirm that it's in symphonic strings and CSS. Which both have or use fingered legato style.

Its very common. I just did this to show you, that even on viola (as here) and violin, its the same. Sorry for the video being out of sync, used the shitty webcam in my laptop.

It's an aspect of playing style. The more "emphatic" the sound, the more likely you will hear those hammer-on sounds from the fingers and from the string bouncing against the fingerboard.

As for instance here, with the great Jacqueline DuPre playing Elgar:

Yo-Yo Ma too:

Without a strong hammer-on, you risk a weak sounding note (because of course the cello has no frets). So the tendency is to really "nail" your notes down especially if you're in the middle of an emotionally intense or technically difficult passage.

Top Bottom