What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass?

@NoamL nice demo! Do you think CSB will satisfy my longing for a John Williams sound? I want a very natural orchestral sound rather than a forced 'epic' sound. This would be my first brass library, but I already have CSS.

@jimjazzuk probably not, but we don't have any brass library better than CSB at the moment. It has nice top end, it has nice movability in terms of legato and fast passages, it has very nice dynamic range and very flexible in terms of mixing. Ofcourse you will face problems when trying to recreate the JW sound, but there is no library which can possibly handle it at the 100% succes rate.
I love it. Just love it.

Last edited:
wtf is going on with the hwb brass horn legato there? There are so many bumps and things? can´t remember that it was that bad..CSB sounds pretty good in that example!

HB has always had some bumpy horns in my opinion. I only have Gold but some patches are less useable. They're awfully shaky in the low resister. I adore the sound of the library though

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but those people who are buying spitfire studio brass over CSB... how? I just don't get in any context where that program sounds better. Like none.

Pianissimo. I haven't chosen it over CSB (it's not a competition) as I intend to get the latter at some point, but I like Spitfire's approach to sampling subtle, quiet playing - here in a pleasant sounding studio setting - and am missing that in the libraries I currently own.

Just a teaser, if you are looking for a big, epic sounding brass library with serious cojones, this isn't it. Not as aggressive even as Hollywood Brass and of course there are more aggressive brass libraries than HB in the marketplace.
No, no no no no. I have probably most of the brass libraries out there and CSB has no problem being big and aggressive. Can't believe you wrote this.

For the love of god, can someone post some fast legato line demo, please? :faint:

Here's the midi:

Attachments

• WoK-Brass-Midi.rar
    453 bytes · Views: 17
Pianissimo. I haven't chosen it over CSB (it's not a competition) as I intend to get the latter at some point, but I like Spitfire's approach to sampling subtle, quiet playing - here in a pleasant sounding studio setting - and am missing that in the libraries I currently own.

I say chosen because I assume most people are like me, and could only buy one or the other, so I had to choose between them. Not chosen as in picking a winner.
And that's fair, the pianissimo did sound really good in the Spitfire's videos. It's just their short notes sound robotic and overall I thought it sounded surprisingly thin in the audio examples they posted on Thursday.

Price is much lower for core version of. SStB
True. And my original plan was to go Spitfire for that reason. I assumed based on my previous experience with both companies (CSS and Bernard Herrmann respectively) that CSB would be better than SStB, but I was hoping that SStB would be close enough comparatively (in terms of quality) that I could save a bit of money and just go with that for my needs. Unfortunately it wasn't, but I think the relatively small difference in price is worth it for CSB.

I say chosen because I assume most people are like me, and could only buy one or the other, so I had to choose between them. Not chosen as in picking a winner.
And that's fair, the pianissimo did sound really good in the Spitfire's videos. It's just their short notes sound robotic and overall I thought it sounded surprisingly thin in the audio examples they posted on Thursday.

Apologies if it seemed I was digging at you. No ill intent meant. I was just talking from my own perspective when I said competition. I didn't mean that you were purposely pitting one against the other for sport. My fault for not being clearer.

I've downloaded it but not had time to play around as yet but I'll check out those shorts. Alex has incredible levels of quality control, which is a reason so many of us admire his products. Spitfire are generally less consistent in my experience, I suppose because of the sprawling amount of data their libraries contain. It takes time to get to know the good and bad elements, but there are always jewels in there and they are more often than not top quality gems.

No, no no no no. I have probably most of the brass libraries out there and CSB has no problem being big and aggressive. Can't believe you wrote this.

Load e.g. the 4 horns instrument and then load a comparable instrument from Metropolis Ark, or Hollywood Brass, or Kirk Hunter and you will hear exactly what I mean.

Maybe people have different perspectives of "epic/big".
From what I've heard CSB, it can blast through the roof. At least to me, it reaches the point that it rips your ear drums off (in a good way of course).
Like the horns and trumpets in "The Bikers" from Jumanji by Henry Jackman.
Which was mocked up by NoamL.

Then you have horns for example in Metropolis Ark 1, which have a different epic-ness from the hall and section size.
Something like the epic-ness you can hear in the horns from Drink Up Me hearties (PotC: At Worlds End by Hans Zimmer).

BTW, I'm not aware of the actual section sizes used in the actual recording of each piece.
I'm purely talking from my impression of how brass libraries have different epic-ness to them. (using those 2 pieces as reference)
I can see how some people might feel Ark1 might sound more epic to them than CSB.
And of course vise versa.

Thats how I personally see it.

Maybe people have different perspectives of "epic/big".
From what I've heard CSB, it can blast through the roof. At least to me, it reaches the point that it rips your ear drums off (in a good way of course).
Like the horns and trumpets in "The Bikers" from Jumanji by Henry Jackman.
Which was mocked up by NoamL.

Then you have horns for example in Metropolis Ark 1, which have a different epic-ness from the hall and section size.
Something like the epic-ness you can hear in the horns from Drink Up Me hearties (PotC: At Worlds End by Hans Zimmer).

BTW, I'm not aware of the actual section sizes used in the actual recording of each piece.
I'm purely talking from my impression of how brass libraries have different epic-ness to them. (using those 2 pieces as reference)
I can see how some people might feel Ark1 might sound more epic to them than CSB.
And of course vise versa.

Thats how I personally see it.

Big is not just loud, any library pretty much can be loud. It is more about "in your face" and section size.

But maybe you're correct. Here are 4 different horn ensembles.

Big is not just loud, any library pretty much can be loud. It is more about "in your face" and section size.[/MEDIA]

Yes I'm aware (and agree).
I just wanted to say that different libraries achieve that epic-ness in a different way imho.
So for example, both Ark1 and CSB have that big/epic sound. Its just a different type of epic-ness to me.

Yes I'm aware (and agree).
I just wanted to say that different libraries achieve that epic-ness in a different way imho.
So for example, both Ark1 and CSB have that big/epic sound. Its just a different type of epic-ness to me.

Fair enough, did you listen to the little snippet I just posted?

Fair enough, did you listen to the little snippet I just posted?

Yes I did. And I think I've actually listened to every user demos on this thread as well. (was very entertaining and informative)
And I think I know what you are referring to when you're saying big/epic.

Top Bottom