What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass?

Hehe. I wish I could, but my day job is kicking my behind right now, so I can't fire up the studio right now. (That will change before much longer, fortunately.)
I can relate. Take your time, my discount code won't disappear (love @Alex W 's pricing model, no rush to buy it since I own some of his other libs, just great!).

I really want to hear how CSB handles fast legato lines. And still haven't heard that from 90s trumpets. Why there's no youtube review of that library from some user?

I think Alex mentioned a improved legato that was going to end up in the string series, would like to know, because I have three buttons for CSS legato speeds scripts, wouldn´t want to add CSB ones with different values.

Nevertheless I am using classic legato patches because in a hurry, moving the notes gets cumbersome. I wish there was an easy fix for the legato delays.

We need a legato lookahead! Similar to Cinesamples, Fluffy Audio Dominus, Genesis Choir - the ability to look ahead would make all that manual slip and slide redundant. It's the main reason I've never got Cinematic Studio Strings and am nervous about the brass. I can't take the headache of manually aligning every single legato transition, where other companies do it via scripting. How does it feel with Cinematic Studio Brass?

In my tests of CSB last night against my other libraries (SSB, Cinebrass, MA1 and Forzo), I felt that CineBrass is the one that compared most closely with CSB. But the CSB legatos and dynamic range are both better than CineBrass IMO.
Century Brass also sounds quite similar to CineBrass tone-wise to my ears. I even like Century better. I haven't purchased CSB yet but judging from the demos, it should mix easitly with these two.

I keep seeing these comments for years now and its just ridiculous

I really hope he never changes his legato approach, simply because it leads to the best results.
Including the option of classic fast legato might be a good thing though
Just to shut up all the whining people once and for all

There can't be any compromise if you want a natural sounding legato transition.
Play your parts live using a sustain patch if you want fast legato.
Its really beyond me what's so hard to understand here

Last edited:
Just for the record, I tried the Mutara Nebula fast lines and you know what's funny? Cinebrass legato sounded more fluent when the patch was tuned exactly 2 semi-tones up and the midi transposed 2 semi-tones down rather than playing it normally.

Also, the only libraries that handled that in a way I would not feel embarrassed putting it out as a real music were Auddict Woodwinds and Embertone Clarinet.

We need a legato lookahead! Similar to Cinesamples, Fluffy Audio Dominus, Genesis Choir - the ability to look ahead would make all that manual slip and slide redundant.
How does lookahead work in these libraries? The only solution I'm aware of is using Plugin Delay Compensation, but then obviously this doesn't work when you're performing realtime, which is where a lot of the criticism is. I believe Kontakt 7 is supposed to have a quantum temporal entanglement feature to enable it to predict future events during realtime input, but until then, I'm curious how Cinesamples, Genesis choir et al are doing it.

Hey Tack, in case you'll set up a Reaticulate entry for CSB, could you share it? I somehow have trouble getting the options for the muted articulations to work right.

Thanks! :)

I’m using 32GB too hence the request. You’ve gone above and beyond with that detailed description and I appreciate your help very much. It looks like an orchestral template with CSB and CSS plus the other sections is feasible. I wasn’t sure though, was that with Mix mics only?
I only use the mix mic and maybe sometimes I'll go with individual mics. I'm at 32GB and if my samples are purged and only load as I need them I'll be find with my current setup. Best of luck!

Talking about CineBrass, I just put this little line from the CSB introduction video in there for comparison.

Luckily, the CineBrass solo trumpet and horn are mellower than the other instruments, but while it seems to fit for the demo, it probably lacks the flexibility of CSB beyond that.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/cinebrass-csbdemo-mp3.17065/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• CineBrass-CSBDemo.mp3
    368.2 KB · Views: 376
Show us some fast legato lines...

tenor.gif

Show us some fast legato lines...

What's with the "fast legato" obsession? Why is that the most important thing for you? I would say that the general sound, expression, musicality and natural sounding legato is much more important. And my impression is that those things are very much in place. Haven't tested "fast legato" because frankly, it hasn't even crossed my mind as being a top priority.

Talking about CineBrass, I just put this little line from the CSB introduction video in there for comparison.

CSB sounds way better and more stable sounding. Cinebrass sounds, at least in this demo, as some not warmed up players trying to jam something together.

Hey Tack, in case you'll set up a Reaticulate entry for CSB, could you share it? I somehow have trouble getting the options for the muted articulations to work right.
Yep I expect I'll do that this weekend. Will post it on the Reaticulate thread.

What's with the "fast legato" obsession? Why is that the most important thing for you? I would say that the general sound, expression, musicality and natural sounding legato is much more important.
I just use a lot of fast legato passages in my music. And that's where samples really fail me. I have woodwinds covered, I can do playable Williams' runs no problem, but I need a brass library (preferably recorded in hall, i just like having that sound instead of close sample modeling) which can handle that.

I just use a lot of fast legato passages in my music. And that's where samples really fail me. I have woodwinds covered, I can do playable Williams' runs no problem, but I need a brass library (preferably recorded in hall, i just like having that sound instead of close sample modeling) which can handle that.
May I ask what woodwind library you use for your fast legato William’s runs?

Top Bottom