What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass?

Yes I did. And I think I've actually listened to every user demos on this thread as well. (was very entertaining and informative)
And I think I know what you are referring to when you're saying big/epic.

BTW, the order in that audio example is this, with no MIDI programming, reverb or other FX, just tried to match levels a little:
1. Cinematic Studio Brass 4 Horns
2. Metropolis Ark Horns a9
3. Kirk Hunter Concert Brass 2, 4 players (he also has an 8)
4. Hollywood Brass 6 horns

But please don't misunderstand, epic or not, I am loving this library so far.

I'm actually surprised that the 2nd one is horns from Ark1. (I literally listened to it again for the 4th time because of this.)
Because I've listened to various walkthoughs and user demos and had the impression of it sounding more bigger, in this instance I mean, more players and with more of that sizzle (brassy) sound.
Maybe it has something to do wit the close mics(?)(I dunno).

Interesting...

I'm actually surprised that the 2nd one is horns from Ark1. (I literally listened to it again for the 4th time because of this.)
Because I've listened to various walkthoughs and user demos and had the impression of it sounding more bigger, in this instance I mean, more players and with more of that sizzle (brassy) sound.

Interesting...
Same here, I wondered if it was a mistake and CSB was actually the second one

Interesting...
That's not the Ark 1 a9 patch out of the box. The panning is definitely different from the default. I also don't think I'm hearing the tree.​

Big is not just loud, any library pretty much can be loud. It is more about "in your face" and section size.

But maybe you're correct. Here are 4 different horn ensembles.

ouch. CSB has very obvious and extremely short loop points
that's really surprising.
hopefully its just an esemble patch bug?

BTW, the order in that audio example is this, with no MIDI programming, reverb or other FX, just tried to match levels a little:

Interesting. I listened to the examples and thought only the first one (CSB) wasn't 'epic' in the traditional sense. Though it was the one that sounded the least compressed. Granted right now I'm at work and am possibly in the worst possible listening environment possible, but still!

Any examples of this we can hear please.
rsp

I am working on a trailer track with a composer in another country. To work together, we have to balance our templates. In the process of doing this I found that the top of the Marcato patch in CSB is just about the same dynamic as the top of the brass in Ark 1. Here's a comparison of the 3 Bass Trombones and 3 Horns in Ark1 to the equivalent instruments in CSB:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark1_csb-mp3.17132/][/AUDIOPLUS]

(the lowest Marcato dynamic is not the softest CSB can play, so I put an example of CSB's lowest Sustain dynamic at the end of the MP3).

Not a very musical test I admit!

IMO, no dynamic level higher than what Ark/CSB demonstrates here actually exists :P Instead, in my observation, composers make the brass ensemble larger to sound more massive (the 12 horn patch in Cinebrass or Century Brass, 9 horns in Ark1, 10 horns in Trailer Brass, 6 horns in Hollywood or Spitfire Symphonic or Caspian, etc are all good for this...) and they use some multiband plugins to really bring out the crispy highs from the melodic brass, a sort of artificial cuivre.

I'm really finicky about having proper dynamics in the libraries I use and NOT having to use CC11, and CSB has the same real, full dynamics I love in Hollywood Brass. IMO few developers since EastWest have really gone the 110% effort to capture the full range of brass.

Attachments

• Ark1_CSB.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 329
Last edited:
My first test with CSB:

https://www.simonravn.com/media/CSB-test-SR.mp3

I think it can definitely by big and loud, no doubt! And it sounds so organic and full of air and space. I love it.

Now THIS is the sort of content we should all be creating with this library :) I loved the middle section! The brass has such a foreboding, noble, solemn tone in that dynamic. Reminds me a lot of "Order 66."

That can't be right, I am pretty sure that number 3 is Metropolis Ark Horns and number 2 is Kirk Hunter...

-Hannes

The looping you hear in Jay's excerpt is real. CSB 4 Horns patch. But it's just the Eb that's untoward, the other notes seem not to be so obvious.

It does seem like it's looping early, but I'm not a brass player, so it's possible at fortissimo on the horn you really do run out of breath very quickly, or perhaps it's just very difficult to keep a consistent tone at that dynamic.

(Edit: more noticeable still with the solo horn patch.)

@Ashermusic Are you sure that is the correct order? My MA1 Horns do not sound like that (I don't have Kirk Hunter)

My first test with CSB:

https://www.simonravn.com/media/CSB-test-SR.mp3

I think it can definitely by big and loud, no doubt! And it sounds so organic and full of air and space. I love it.

This.... is the first CSB demo I have heard where I love the sound.
I choose a few years ago to continue investing in Alex's stuff as my defacto Orchestra (can't afford all of them)(Along with eventually Spitifire ones when I can afford them)..and love the flexibility in Alex's demos but not the sound itself (but I felt that way about his CSS demos till I bought it and mixed the mics more to suit my taste). I was waiting for the DJ walk thru.
Thanks for this Simon.
Now I am sold on it.
rsp

I am working on a trailer track with a composer in another country. To work together, we have to balance our templates. In the process of doing this I found that the top of the Marcato patch in CSB is just about the same dynamic as the top of the brass in Ark 1. Here's a comparison of the 3 Bass Trombones and 3 Horns in Ark1 to the equivalent instruments in CSB:

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/ark1_csb-mp3.17132/][/AUDIOPLUS]

(the lowest Marcato dynamic is not the softest CSB can play, so I put an example of CSB's lowest Sustain dynamic at the end of the MP3).

Not a very musical test I admit!

IMO, no dynamic level higher than what Ark/CSB demonstrates here actually exists :P Instead, in my observation, composers make the brass ensemble larger to sound more massive (the 12 horn patch in Cinebrass or Century Brass, 9 horns in Ark1, 10 horns in Trailer Brass, 6 horns in Hollywood or Spitfire Symphonic or Caspian, etc are all good for this...) and they use some multiband plugins to really bring out the crispy highs from the melodic brass, a sort of artificial cuivre.

I'm really finicky about having proper dynamics in the libraries I use and NOT having to use CC11, and CSB has the same real, full dynamics I love in Hollywood Brass. IMO few developers since EastWest have really gone the 110% effort to capture the full range of brass.

Ark 1 (if it came first) sounds louder to me...

If you really mean the second example is the Ark 1 9 horns, I have to ask:

How in the heck did you make it sound so terrible?

Top Bottom