What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass?

Robo Rivard

A good guess would be that they learn new things while working on the new libraries, and they try to figure out how they could apply these new discoveries to CSS and CSSS with an upgrade, so everything stays consistent.

michdb

last black Friday I sent an email about it and I ask if is gonna release before summer and he said yes, so I hope is coming in the next months if not I 'll check another alternative cause I need a brass library for my CSS and SSW

NoamL

Winter <3
last black Friday I sent an email about it and I ask if is gonna release before summer and he said yes, so I hope is coming in the next months if not I 'll check another alternative cause I need a brass library for my CSS and SSW
To be completely honest (since this is the sample talk forum after all!) I am probably not gonna buy CS Brass unless it really wows me, but that's because I have way too many brass libraries already... Berlin Brass, Adventure Brass, Trailer Brass, Hollywood Brass Gold, Auddict Octohorn (the most disappointing of these purchases, don't get it), Waverunner Horns, and even a number of freebies are in my brass template (Jasper Blunk's Fortissimo Brass, and his Angry Brass). I'm definitely a gear acquisition victim when it comes to brass!!

I found a really nice way to achieve the brass sound I expect from CSB (and that balances well with CSS) is to combine close mics from Adventure Brass with distant mics from Berlin Brass, as I explained in the Henry Jackman mockup thread. Of course, AB+BB is probably twice as expensive as CSB is going to be (and doing mockups this way takes twice the work!), so this hardly puts them out of business.

Now woodwinds on the other hand, despite doing additional music on films for the past 2 years, I haven't bought a single pro woodwinds library (sad remark on the state of scoring isn't it?!). I am very interested in Cinematic Studio Woodwinds, but I really also bet that Adventure Woodwinds is coming down the road some month soon. In fact, it's been a bit surprising that other developers have let OT, Spitfire & VSL hold the field to themselves for this long (since 2012? 2013?) in the pro woodwinds category.... I'm probably unfairly discounting some of the other libraries that have come out since like Auddict Winds and Sonokinetic Winds, but people always seem to cite Spitfire or Berlin or VSL as their main winds.

Last edited:

michdb

To be completely honest (since this is the sample talk forum after all!) I am probably not gonna buy CS Brass unless it really wows me, but that's because I have way too many brass libraries already... Berlin Brass, Adventure Brass, Trailer Brass, Hollywood Brass Gold, Auddict Octohorn (the most disappointing of these purchases, don't get it), Waverunner Horns, and even a number of freebies are in my brass template (Jasper Blunk's Fortissimo Brass, and his Angry Brass). I'm definitely a gear acquisition victim when it comes to brass!!

I found a really nice way to achieve the brass sound I expect from CSB (and that balances well with CSS) is to combine close mics from Adventure Brass with distant mics from Berlin Brass, as I explained in the Henry Jackman mockup thread. Of course, AB+BB is probably twice as expensive as CSB is going to be (and doing mockups this way takes twice the work!), so this hardly puts them out of business.

Now woodwinds on the other hand, despite doing additional music on films for the past 2 years, I haven't bought a single pro woodwinds library (sad remark on the state of scoring isn't it?!). I am very interested in Cinematic Studio Woodwinds, but I really also bet that Adventure Woodwinds is coming down the road some month soon. In fact, it's been a bit surprising that other developers have let OT, Spitfire & VSL hold the field to themselves for this long (since 2012? 2013?) in the pro woodwinds category.
so if you have to get one brass library all in one with a good quality reasonable price which one do you recommend? i hear good stuff about cinesamples brass and once a year normally is at 50% discount

NoamL

Winter <3
It depends hugely on what you like to write. For "epic" brass that's mostly made up of very simple horn lines and trombone chords, Trailer Brass is hard to beat for sheer mass and punch... for "adventury" and classic film scoring brass with lots of nimble, bright writing, Adventure Brass is great but so is Jasper Blunk's Angry Brass for the bigger stuff. Hollywood Brass Gold is a very good library despite its age and has plenty of muted brass samples unlike the other three I mentioned so far. For soft, emotional choral brass, Berlin Brass is really the best - as well as for any kind of 11-part writing where you really want to create the illusion of an independent musician on each part instead of the "multiple copies of the same musician" approach of the other libraries out there - but it has the most significant RAM impact, usability issues, and high price of all the libraries I mentioned. There are mockups here on VIC where people do wonders with Spitfire Symphonic Brass, Sample Modeling Brass, and Cinebrass, I've just never been enthralled enough to buy them ;) And then there's Caspian Brass... Strezov Brass... Bravura Brass.... so much brass!

Long story short though, I recommend you get Composer Cloud from Eastwest for just one month, try out Hollywood Brass and see if you like it. None of the other developers have a $30 try before you buy offer...

jamwerks

It seems that solo libraries are hard to do as far as legato cross-fading phasing is concerned. Devs are getting better and better. BWW Revive is pretty good for example. Alex knows the expectations keep getting higher. Hopefully he'll deliver.

I would love for him to implement a delay control for all his series. Audiobro seems to have found the solution in Genesis.

N.Caffrey

It seems that solo libraries are hard to do as far as legato cross-fading phasing is concerned. Devs are getting better and better. BWW Revive is pretty good for example. Alex knows the expectations keep getting higher. Hopefully he'll deliver.

I would love for him to implement a delay control for all his series. Audiobro seems to have found the solution in Genesis.
Individual articulations would be very welcome too

I have big hopes for Cinematic Studio Brass. For me, there's little to be desired in the Brass market in terms of realism and affordability all in one package. CSB has fill the ability to fill that niche. It also has the potential to bring that beautiful legato engine from CSS and CSSS and bring that to the world of brass, that alone makes this library an instant buy on Day 1! CSB has the potential to be a real game-changer so I'll just continue to refresh this forum every day in hopes of this amazing brass library becoming a reality ... :2thumbs:

TigerTheFrog

Amphibiousician
Alex knows the expectations keep getting higher. Hopefully he'll deliver.
Anybody who has ever created complex software knows it's relatively easy to get something 90% of the way. It's that last 10% that is the hardest thing--it can even take longer than all the previous work.

That's why so many developers release software (not just music libraries) before they are fully finished. Some then correct the problems in updates.

That doesn't seem to be Alex's style. If it's not up to his exacting standards he doesn't bring it out.

And as highly anticipated as this is, I don't think anybody wants him to release anything less.

OP
C

chrisphan

A good guess would be that they learn new things while working on the new libraries, and they try to figure out how they could apply these new discoveries to CSS and CSSS with an upgrade, so everything stays consistent.
I certainly hope that's the case. Just checked out Audiobro Genesis and I really hope to see their built-in delay compensation in Cinematic Studio products

fretti

Individual articulations are possible in CSS. Use option-click to click away all the articulation boxes except the one you want, and Kontakt will unload the samples. Then you can save it as a Kontakt preset.
I think he meant it more like Spitfire or OT do it with a folder for every instrument section. Though clicking them away is at least a lot faster than in the full Spitfire patches

Last edited:

Symfoniq

I just now realized that I haven't wanted to buy anything other than CSB in forever. Somehow, the wait has singlehandedly cured my gear acquisition syndrome. What the hell.
Funny, I've noticed the same thing. I've bought a few Performance Samples libraries over the last six months and that's it, because what I'm really waiting for is Cinematic Studio Brass.

N.Caffrey

Individual articulations are possible in CSS. Use option-click to click away all the articulation boxes except the one you want, and Kontakt will unload the samples. Then you can save it as a Kontakt preset.
Yes I know what you mean, but as fretti said, I'd like a patch for Spiccato, one for Staccato etc.

Symfoniq

Yes I know what you mean, but as fretti said, I'd like a patch for Spiccato, one for Staccato etc.
I wrote Alex an email asking for this in CSS/CSSS. He replied promptly and courteously, but made it clear he didn't see individual articulation patches happening. I don't think it jives with his design philosophy for these libraries.

Top Bottom