What's new

Cinematic Studio Brass vs.Cinebrass

I could hear a few CSB naked demos and I found that has too much phase sound on trumpets and bass trombone especially on the close mics, what do you think? I have css and i m doubting about get csb

Speaking of phasing. Century brass has a lot of it on their ensemble patches close Mics. The rest are fine, but the close Mics, listening to their walkthrough, sounds very phasy. I think most of their close Mics don’t sound too good. But as an addition to their overall sound, it all works.
Aaron Venture: https://vi-control.net/community/threads/aaron-venture-infinite-brass-update-v1-2-is-live.77050/

I'm loving this library, especially for the playability. He's doing great improvements too.

Cool, I’m going to check this out once I get home. Thanks.

I could hear a few CSB naked demos and I found that has too much phase sound on trumpets and bass trombone especially on the close mics, what do you think? I have css and i m doubting about get csb
Speaking of phasing. Century brass has a lot of it on their ensemble patches close Mics. The rest are fine, but the close Mics, listening to their walkthrough, sounds very phasy. I think most of their close Mics don’t sound too good. But as an addition to their overall sound, it all works.
You can check out this thread in regard to close mic phasing. Might give you some more info? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/cinematic-studio-brass.59957/page-49#post-4338703

Here is a comparison of CSB and CineBrass Core playing the opening to Back To The Future (first CSB, then CB). Both examples use the main mics (Dennis Sands on CB, Mix mic on CSB) and no processing.

I love the sound of CineBrass. I spent about the same amount of time programming each of these, but I know I could get a better result with CineBrass if I spent even more time. In my opinion, that's where CSB excels - it takes less MIDI programming to get a good result. Another difference if there are more articulations in CSB than CineBrass Core... of course, this is resolved if you also purchase CineBrass Pro.

In my opinion, you really need CineBrass Pro in order to get good results with CineBrass. The solo instruments are great for layering (and softer dynamics - e.g. the solo trombones). With both Core and Pro, it is easier to cover some of the cracks that you here in my demo above. So again, it takes more programming to get a good result with CineBrass... totally my opinion of course.

Cinebrass sounds SO much better to me in that clip. That stage probably has a lot to do with it.

Cinebrass sounds SO much better to me in that clip. That stage probably has a lot to do with it.

Yes but took twice as long! I agree it is more in line with the original - nothing like that Sony stage!!! But from a programming perspective it was definitely more challenging.

I love Cinesamples for sure.

I actually replaced Cinebrass with CSB... CSB is my go-to brass library at the moment. It's just so easy to work with.

I like the brightness of Cinebrass too, but you can still get a great orchestral brass sound from CSB. I did this track with CSS + CSB and was happy with the result.

Cheers,
Marc

Very nice! Thank you. I love both Cinebrass and CSB. Just no need to get both at the moment so I need all the convincing before the sale tomorrow.

I'm not sure I think it should be Cinematic Studio Brass vs CineBrass - they are two different libraries.

When I am using Cinesamples libraries I get into a groove of sorts, and their articulation management approach makes complete sense. Then I spend time away from them and it is confusing again, but eventually I get back to it.

On the other hand the entire Cinematic Studio series is just dead simple to use, probably my favorite in terms of ease of use, but that comes with a price, of sorts - you are slightly limited in the articulations that are available. It is not a huge deficit, and honestly I've yet to work on a project where I said "gee, I wish CSB did X"

Then there is the sound - they sound different, neither one is better or worse, sometimes I want the Cinesamples Sony Soundstage sound, sometimes I don't.

And not to further complicate things, but I also use Chris Hein Orchestral Brass, not as often as the other two, probably because it is a little more difficult - for me - to get around. I fell in love with his Horns, and the Orchestral Brass does not disappoint. The sound is once again different, that's all.

When it comes to pop/rock/big band stuff I still use CHH, but I am also using Glory Days. And again it is two different approaches to articulations, and two different sounds.

I suspect one day there will be a one-size-fits-all brass library that sounds perfect for every application, and is simple to use, and includes every possible articulation... well, maybe not???

All this because I was working with the three orchestral libraries this weekend - trying to record brass choir arrangements of Christmas Carols, and it was fascinating the different directions I traveled depending on the library I was using.

I find CineBrass significantly more limited in articulations than CSB. And as somebody else mentioned earlier, the legato notes have this weird accent / tongued sound in the front that you can’t remove and makes it sound far less smooth and connected than CSB.

Top Bottom