What's new

Cinebrass VS. Berlin Brass

hamsueverk

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum thing.
Anyway, I already have Spitfire Symphonic Brass, EastWest Hollywood Brass and the brass from Metropolis Ark 1
I'm deciding between Cinebrass and Berlin Brass.
Please let me know your thoughts on these two (which is more versatile, more user-friendly etc.)
Thank You

Last edited:
BB is more versatile, CB is more user-friendly.

That being said, if you're new to this and already have 3 of the most prized brass collections, I think it'd make more sense to get good at what you already have. IMO having endless options is actually a detriment to early development in terms of learning composition and VSTs. After you've spent some time getting used to the libraries you have instead of window shopping, you'll know exactly which libraries you want to purchase because you'll know what you're missing.

You’ve definitely got enough brass already. Cinebrass sounds great but it’s not really gonna add much to what you’ve got. Berlin can get more detailed and sounds great in it’s own way but it’s also a massive resource drain and can be a bitch to program. With SSB you can do the lighter stuff and Met 1 can do any huge stuff. Hollywood Brass can cover anything else. I’d crack on with what you’ve got.

CineBrass has been great for me, but there are some things that could be improved. The solo and ensemble trumpet staccato are my only complaints, though I'm not able to articulate (no pun intended) why exactly. They've recorded more material and issues updates over the years so I think it's a good investment.

Last edited:
With all the ones you already have, theres no hurry or need to get another one.
You 're not missing anything that would make such a huge difference to take your music up 10 levels instantly, as Symphonic Brass and Hollywood Brass are already Brass libraries that cover all basics + a lot more. MA1 adding all the FF stuff for epic.
Given the price tags of CB (800$ +tax) and Berlin (800€ + tax) I wouldn't rush to a decision unless you feel that your other 3 libraries don't offer you anything...but in that case CB or Berlin won't make that better in any way, just fill HD space and empty your wallet:)

BB is more versatile, CB is more user-friendly.

That being said, if you're new to this and already have 3 of the most prized brass collections, I think it'd make more sense to get good at what you already have. IMO having endless options is actually a detriment to early development in terms of learning composition and VSTs. After you've spent some time getting used to the libraries you have instead of window shopping, you'll know exactly which libraries you want to purchase because you'll know what you're missing.

This.

These are the only 2 brass libraries I own, and I feel they give me everything I could ever need.

Cinebrass covers everything loud, powerful and epic, while Berlin serves me very well as a layering library, and its rich sound lends itself perfectly to the soft and emotional.

Last edited:
I think it's a personal question, each composer or user has their own tastes, some more realistic, other hybrids, I think you should focus more on what you really want. Remember, it is not a good idea to have the most expensive libraries if you do not know how to use them.
Personally I like them all, they all have their interesting part, so it is worth mentioning also the classic brass from PS.
Basically, you should focus on your style, personal style and opt for it.

FWIW, I mainly use Spitfire Symphonic Brass, OT Ark I and Cinebrass Pro.

-SSB as my main workhorse
-Ark I when I need brutal FFF
-CB Pro mainly for solos, layering, and the monster low brass patch

‘Alt’ Brass I sometimes use is OT Ark 2 and Spifire Albion II (Loegria).

Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for your input.
Just wanna clarify a few things, I'm just new to the forum thingy, not new to composing (excuse me for not saying it right the first time)
anyway, great inputs guys and thanks for sharing your experience.
Personally I can't emphasize how much I love what I already have, like really I'm having the time of my life.
I know exactly which to use/combine for certain work or for what kinda sound I'm looking for etc. so fretti and a few others were right that I'm in no hurry at all.
But the reason I asked is to see if there would be a reason, in the near future for example, to add more colour to my templates, or making an alternate one, building different section combo etc. is all
Cheers guys

p.s. Seycara might be right about Cinematic Studio Brass though

Hi Everyone,
Just wanna clarify a few things, I'm just new to the forum thingy, not new to composing (excuse me for not saying it right the first time)
Personally I can't emphasize how much I love what I already have, like really I'm having the time of my life.
I know exactly which to use/combine for certain work or for what kinda sound I'm looking for etc. so fretti and a few others were right that I'm in no hurry at all.
But the reason I asked is to see if there would be a reason, in the near future for example, to add more colour to my templates, or making an alternate one, building different section combo etc. is all
Cheers guys

I think if Alex can hold, what everyone and he himself expects from CSB and if it’s about the price of CSS, then it could be imho the next big thing in brass sampling (alone his mentioned true long fff samples could be for many people a game changer):)

And if that’s not the case or it takes another year, I think with both Cinebrass or Berlin you can‘t do anything wrong; both really beautiful in sound;)

I use both CS Brass and Berlin Brass. I use Berlin as my main library, since it is way more flexible. CS is easier to play, so I often use it to sketch brass lines, and then later move it to Berlin. CS is more brassy and louder, so when I need that, I always go to CS

Hi Everyone,
Cheers guys

Hi there. If you’re looking for different “colours” or “textures” maybe take a look at Strezov Aleatoric Modular Brass. Not sure if it would fit your requirements but if you’re at all interested in aleatoric brass it may be worth a look. There are some useful videos online demonstrating it in use (especially the film and game composer series but there’s a lot of talking too).

FWIW, I mainly use Spitfire Symphonic Brass, OT Ark I and Cinebrass Pro.

-SSB as my main workhorse
-Ark I when I need brutal FFF
-CB Pro mainly for solos, layering, and the monster low brass patch

‘Alt’ Brass I sometimes use is OT Ark 2 and Spifire Albion II (Loegria).
How do you proceed when layering brass? Isn't that sort a basic rule not to do because you easily end up with phasing artefacts? Sorry if too much off-topic...

I think if Alex can hold, what everyone and he himself expects from CSB and if it’s about the price of CSS, then it could be imho the next big thing in brass sampling (alone his mentioned true long fff samples could be for many people a game changer):)

And if that’s not the case or it takes another year, I think with both Cinebrass or Berlin you can‘t do anything wrong; both really beautiful in sound;)
Yeah absolutely a good-life situation nevertheless. I personally love CSS so yeah looking forward to check out CSB. Thought it was coming out earlier this year but guess not. Anyway, no hurries for me mate cheers yeah

I use both CS Brass and Berlin Brass. I use Berlin as my main library, since it is way more flexible. CS is easier to play, so I often use it to sketch brass lines, and then later move it to Berlin. CS is more brassy and louder, so when I need that, I always go to CS
thanks for sharing your method, very useful indeed

Hi there. If you’re looking for different “colours” or “textures” maybe take a look at Strezov Aleatoric Modular Brass. Not sure if it would fit your requirements but if you’re at all interested in aleatoric brass it may be worth a look. There are some useful videos online demonstrating it in use (especially the film and game composer series but there’s a lot of talking too).
nice one, definitely gonna have a look at that. thx

Top Bottom