What's new

CineBrass & faster legato attacks?

Reaktor

Hi,

I bought CineBrass Core & Emotional Cello yesterday and made this quick draft / test-track of Uncharted Theme.

hiekkalaatikko.tapzone.info/filut/uncharted_test2.mp3

This was just a quick draft done under 60 minutes, so mind the uneven mix and missing harmonic motions.

As you can hear the horns (two of 'em layered over each other) struggle a bit with attack. I was wonder how this could be fixed, or if I'm just unaware of some way to have control over attack when using legato patch? Should I place staccatos over legato note changes, in order to get some bite, or is there a way to control attack and/or release value in CineBrass?

I was really surprised by the quality and playability of Emotional Cello. It's an amazing piece of software and extremely easy to control! Now I just need to find a library to fill those missing sordino & "even" strings, as Cinematic Strings 2 seems a bit hard to leash for soft motifs.

I don't know what the others will say, but I normally just overlay with staccatos at a lower dynamic until I can hear the line better. Heck, it even works with live musicians where half tongue and the other half slur!

Hi,

I bought CineBrass Core & Emotional Cello yesterday and made this quick draft / test-track of Uncharted Theme.

hiekkalaatikko.tapzone.info/filut/uncharted_test2.mp3

This was just a quick draft done under 60 minutes, so mind the uneven mix and missing harmonic motions.

As you can hear the horns (two of 'em layered over each other) struggle a bit with attack. I was wonder how this could be fixed, or if I'm just unaware of some way to have control over attack when using legato patch? Should I place staccatos over legato note changes, in order to get some bite, or is there a way to control attack and/or release value in CineBrass?

I was really surprised by the quality and playability of Emotional Cello. It's an amazing piece of software and extremely easy to control! Now I just need to find a library to fill those missing sordino & "even" strings, as Cinematic Strings 2 seems a bit hard to leash for soft motifs.
Cool start for a tract by the way! It reminded me of a marching band being interrupted by an orchestra. :thumbsup:

Thanks, it came out ok even though i just quickly played something down and auto-quantized it down. I will try layering staccatos later tonight.

Its impossible to pick up "best first library" for anything, be it strings or brass. I spent many hours comparing cinebrass and bravura scoring brass. I ended up to cinebrass just because of great big hall stereo sound, even though I might have loved bravura just as well (some custom reverb + stereo separation / panning)... well... gotta catch em all!

1st off, you have a nice little piece of music there.

Second, you might be better served by using marcatos for those seven shorter notes that start at :11, instead of a leg patch all the way through. Maybe some stac as well? IMHO, using marc and stac in a line like this better emulates the way real players play. Forum member chibear is a brass player, and might be able to provide some good insight as to how real players would approach this.

Remember you can shorten and lengthen that marc notes as needed in your seq.

Cheers.

I just wonder how marcatos could be shortened or lenghtened, other than by using velocity based sampleswitching... I was actually a bit lazy when I played that piece and I thought there might be some "easy & intelligent" solution within cinebrass itself, but apparently its simply manual programming.

Please don't give me too much credit for this draft, as it was just a poor & fast copy of amazing original piece. Its just simple enough for trying out dynamics and laying things together in 60 minutes :)

I think Rodney is also a brass player? It came up in Bravura -thread. I might still consider supplementing CineBrass with Bravura someday, as I was amazed by how detailed configuration it offers. Its kind of a shame I went after CineBrass just because of great sounding defaut setup... its definetly a great library, but I can't help but wonder how I could have programmed horns within Bravura!

Tip for Bravura developers:

I was on edge of knife on choosing between these two libraries. Even as Bravura seemed awesome on video, I was a bit wary because of sound of demo songs. Demos were missing that hollywood-softness & stereo image I was looking for. Thus I went by gut and chose CineBrass, even though its possible Bravura could have provided just the same outcome after a bit of mixing and processing... sometimes just tiny details can turn customer away, even if its unscientific gut-feeling. I hope you can add one more demo song with smoother processing and wider stereo image, just to show what your library is able to do!

Top Bottom