What's new

Christopher Siu - Once Upon A Romance (Official Audio)

ChrisSiuMusic

Hi friends, today I wanted to share a new original piece of mine with you.

This track represents a turning point in my musical journey. Up until this point, I have composed and produced upbeat, exciting, and (hopefully) catchy themes reminiscent of Super Mario Galaxy and Disney.

For this piece, I channeled my inner Disney princess and dreamt up a new theme that I hope will envelop you, warm you up, and take you to a different dimension before carrying you back to reality. It's an honour for me to be able to create the style of music that I love, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Thank you, and please enjoy!

This track represents a turning point in my musical journey. Up until this point, I have composed and produced upbeat, exciting, and (hopefully) catchy themes reminiscent of Super Mario Galaxy and Disney.

For this piece, I channeled my inner Disney princess and dreamt up a new theme that I hope will envelop you, warm you up, and take you to a different dimension before carrying you back to reality. It's an honour for me to be able to create the style of music that I love, and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

I enjoyed the track but I tell you that the track isnt cohesive as it breaks style. Maybe you know that,other than that: the first minute is sweet and I appreciate the effort.

I enjoyed the track but I tell you that the track isnt cohesive as it breaks style. Maybe you know that,other than that: the first minute is sweet and I appreciate the effort.
Thanks Alexander. I’d love to hear your thoughts on what I could do better, and how you would’ve kept more in style!

Hi Chris,

Good work on this. Your mix is very clean, but I think, slightly lacking in low-mids and lows... which is resulting in a thinner overall sound and harsher upper mids... This is a subtle and nitpicky thing.. But it was my initial impression.

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan :)

Hi Chris,

Good work on this. Your mix is very clean, but I think, slightly lacking in low-mids and lows... which is resulting in a thinner overall sound and harsher upper mids... This is a subtle and nitpicky thing.. But it was my initial impression.

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan :)
I appreciate the feedback Ryan. Thanks for listening! :)

Many good segments. Prefer strings, then horn early.
Just becomes stronger, louder after 1:15.
Much capability throughout. Not so much Romance …. ;)

Very nice track, Chris. The others are right though, it is mixing genres somewhat. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it does contrast a lot with the delicate sound you start off with for the first minute. As soon as the bass drum hits, I was like... oh no, that doesn't belong there. Especially that specific drum with so much bass tone (Berlin Percussion?), IMO the Spitfire bass drum for this is more suited here, but even then maybe not the best idea. But still, the tone of the track changes to long sustained ensemble strings, less delicate tone, more strident brass. If you could soften it a fair bit, have fewer players, fewer parts, replace the percussion, remove the military style portion, etc, then it would suit better. But then you may not have much track left. I still like it, but yes, the first 1 minute works better I think.

Very nice track, Chris. The others are right though, it is mixing genres somewhat. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, but it does contrast a lot with the delicate sound you start off with for the first minute. As soon as the bass drum hits, I was like... oh no, that doesn't belong there. Especially that specific drum with so much bass tone (Berlin Percussion?), IMO the Spitfire bass drum for this is more suited here, but even then maybe not the best idea. But still, the tone of the track changes to long sustained ensemble strings, less delicate tone, more strident brass. If you could soften it a fair bit, have fewer players, fewer parts, replace the percussion, remove the military style portion, etc, then it would suit better. But then you may not have much track left. I still like it, but yes, the first 1 minute works better I think.
Thank you for your thoughts, that makes a lot of sense. The bass drum is actually from Cineperc, which definitely comes with a lot of bass. I’ll keep this in mind for the future, thank you! :)

Last edited:
Wonderful 1st theme in the beginning! I think for Romantic pieces percussion should be limited to Timpani, cymbals and maybe small delicate percussion like triangles or Celeste. And for the stronger return of the 1st theme when the Violins and trumpets play, I’s suggest putting the Cellos under them so that it supports the main melody and also so that the Violins don’t get lost with the trumpets. The piece has very good structure!

Wonderful 1st theme in the beginning! I think for Romantic pieces percussion should be limited to Timpani, cymbals and maybe small delicate percussion like triangles or Celeste. And for the stronger return of the 1st theme when the Violins and trumpets play, I’s suggest putting the Cellos under them so that it supports the main melody and also so that the Violins don’t get lost with the trumpets. The piece has very good structure!
Thanks very much for the detailed feedback!

Chris:

I enjoyed your piece. A very complex orchestration. Your String lead was very realistic. What String Library are you using? How long did it take to get that work done?

Joe

Top Bottom