What's new

Christian Henson's YouTube Channel - Nighty Night!

Not yet, but thinking...
My late 2013 is a bit slow now that it’s hooked to a 4k monitor & that my projects grow bigger (thanks to your plugins haha)
But I’ll wait for the user feedback first since the key issue on 2017 models sounds dreadful.
On Youtube, I found a video of a guy who, in a similar situation as mine, managed to run 27 instances of Serum on the new MBP instead on 7 on a late 2013 ! Promising...
And also, I’ll wait for a trip to Japan or US to buy it. Buying in France is just an Apple scam (4400€ vs 3200€ after usd/eur conversion. No kidding)

Thanks for the Edinburgh guide Christian. I'm heading there on friday. Looking forward to try some of the locations you recommended (the Dean looks particularly beautiful - definitely on my to see list).

Not yet, but thinking...
My late 2013 is a bit slow now that it’s hooked to a 4k monitor & that my projects grow bigger (thanks to your plugins haha)
But I’ll wait for the user feedback first since the key issue on 2017 models sounds dreadful.
On Youtube, I found a video of a guy who, in a similar situation as mine, managed to run 27 instances of Serum on the new MBP instead on 7 on a late 2013 ! Promising...
And also, I’ll wait for a trip to Japan or US to buy it. Buying in France is just an Apple scam (4400€ vs 3200€ after usd/eur conversion. No kidding)

Hi - I was in the exact same situation as you - owning a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch top model. It's a great Maschine but it started to be very slow for the same reasons as you mentions. 9 days ago I bought the new MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch, 32 GB Ram, I9 6 core CPU and 2 TB SSD. Here is my experiences so far:

I really feel that it is a big improvement in my workflow and worth the upgrade for me. My DAW (Cubase 9.5) loads so much much faster. The same does the projects. The SSD is much faster - eg Loading presets in Kontakt instruments like Spitfire Audios "Bernard Hermann" takes no time - it is like changing presets on a synth. The Graphic on my 4k monitor has also improved a lot. I haven't experienced any throttling. But that is of course because I haven't pushed the CPU to the max. I'm running it with a Access Virus TI2 synth, Studio Electronics SE-02, Native Komplete MK2 Keyboard, Apollo twin thunderbolt 2 soundcard and 2xUAD-2 Octo satellite (thunderbolt 2) - and it's running smoothly with no crashes.

About me: I'm a pure hobby musician - so I can't say how it will work in a professional setup. I bought mine in Thailand. It took 9 days to get it customised (upgrade SSD and ram). I don't know how long time it will take in Japan and US. But they can probably do it faster. Good luck with your decision. And a big thanks to Christian Henson for all of your inspiring videos and sharing of knowledge - it's so inspiring to watch. And of course thanks for creating those inspiring sample libraries :)

lol - your dog's thinking "why the fuck's he telling me this" :P

Seriously though, nice video and thanks for the information :)

...and here's a thing about YouTube:

That was fascinating, thank you.

I am a bit of a cynic but I have a serious question for you, related to how much value you get from YouTube:

- How much value are you creating for Alphabet?

...by that I mean that, you have put massive effort into your personal YT content, growing the subs, monetizing the channel, and you get a (tiny) share of the revenue that Youtube (=Google=Alphabet) makes from your channel.
...you also own/run a company that has put massive effort into YT content, that also spends (a lot I am guessing) on Alphabet-owned ad networks, like Google Ads, search and display, YouTube ads and various other related activities that feed into the Google ecosystem e.g. Google search-optimized content etc.

Of course, you get value back - you get a great video/community service, your marketing people will tell you how many new leads have come in from SA ads... but what do you think the balance is like... you may also get extra value if you own Alphabet shares and benefit from the success of the Alphabet ecosystem... full disclosure: personally I don't own Alphabet shares and am rather disturbed by Alphabet's lobbying power, tax dodging and other monopolistic practices but I create a lot of value for Alphabet every day through working in environments where spending on and using related services is mandated.

Another side of Alphabet to consider are the products we get for free (well, free as in we don't hand over any money for them). Google search, Gmail, YouTube, Google docs, Android and so on.

I'm not defending their lobbying power, tax dodging or anything else but in all these areas there is competition so we do effectively choose to use Google.

An interesting topic for a video (IMO) would be the rise of AI and whether it’s going to replace composers (as many seem to believe).

Living in jail cells most of my life, I now prefer a Korg MicroKey Air. 37-key and above have mod/pitch wheels, sustain jack. Solid synth action and the small keys work fine for me small hands. So that leaves a laptop, controller, sustain pedal with only 1 cable... and a shank taped underneath for unruly cell mates.

My only gripe is hitting those hard/high dynamics... Korg needs to work on those curves. Thank goodness, SF is adding adjustable velocity dynamics to all of their libraries... ;)

My hearing is fine... thanks for your concern! Like anything else in life, keep a balance, allow for recovery, and go for check-ups often!
Thanks for your reply, Christian. I'm glad that your hearing is fine, although it's more the future of your hearing for which I was concerned. (I could have worded that better above.) As you're going for check-ups often—and if you're having hearing tests often (once or twice a year?)—then you have access to people who are more qualified that I am to discuss you hearing with.

I'll just add for the benefit of anyone who reads this post that—barring future advances in medicine—hearing loss is permanent, and listening for prolonged periods at high volumes increases the chance of hearing loss. In addition, the evidence at this point suggests that listening at loud volumes on headphones or earbuds is more damaging than listening at loud volumes on speakers. Noise cancelling headphones can decrease the need to listen at loud levels; but of course, they don't force you to listen at low levels.

As hearing loss runs in my family, I haven't settled for moderation when it comes to my hearing. Occasional exposure to loud volumes is unavoidable, but I make an effort to avoid it. I wore earplugs during my club band days, and I monitor at low levels in the studio. I'm happy to report that at my most recent hearing test I was told that my hearing was as good as it gets—for a man my age. That qualifier stung a bit, but that's where I am now in life. I took it to mean that some hearing loss is inevitable; but for now, I've managed to ward off the part that was under my control.

Best,

Geoff

Love that Schimmel! Makes me want to get a real upright and rip that cover right off.

So, I just now noticed Christian's channel, was wondering if anybody could steer me to a video covering what happens when my client starts library-ing music I created on a job basis? (Please don't ask me about written contracts, doh!) I'm sure Christian has some pithy comments on that. Now off to get a haircut.

Love that Schimmel! Makes me want to get a real upright and rip that cover right off.

So, I just now noticed Christian's channel, was wondering if anybody could steer me to a video covering what happens when my client starts library-ing music I created on a job basis? (Please don't ask me about written contracts, doh!) I'm sure Christian has some pithy comments on that. Now off to get a haircut.

Assuming you have no contract, could it not be argued that you still own the copyright?

Top Bottom