1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian Henson's YouTube Channel - Composing On The Go, My Touring Rig

Discussion in 'SAMPLECASTS, PODCASTS, VIDEOCASTS' started by christianhenson, May 8, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

christianhenson Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    It's been a while, but here's me checking out a hardware sampler

2. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
  4. LowweeK

LowweeK Senior Member

Oct 12, 2015
    Paris, France
    Not yet, but thinking...
    My late 2013 is a bit slow now that it’s hooked to a 4k monitor & that my projects grow bigger (thanks to your plugins haha)
    But I’ll wait for the user feedback first since the key issue on 2017 models sounds dreadful.
    On Youtube, I found a video of a guy who, in a similar situation as mine, managed to run 27 instances of Serum on the new MBP instead on 7 on a late 2013 ! Promising...
    And also, I’ll wait for a trip to Japan or US to buy it. Buying in France is just an Apple scam (4400€ vs 3200€ after usd/eur conversion. No kidding)

Nmargiotta likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
  6. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks for the Edinburgh guide Christian. I'm heading there on friday. Looking forward to try some of the locations you recommended (the Dean looks particularly beautiful - definitely on my to see list).

7. Jack All

Jack All New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi - I was in the exact same situation as you - owning a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 inch top model. It's a great Maschine but it started to be very slow for the same reasons as you mentions. 9 days ago I bought the new MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch, 32 GB Ram, I9 6 core CPU and 2 TB SSD. Here is my experiences so far:

I really feel that it is a big improvement in my workflow and worth the upgrade for me. My DAW (Cubase 9.5) loads so much much faster. The same does the projects. The SSD is much faster - eg Loading presets in Kontakt instruments like Spitfire Audios "Bernard Hermann" takes no time - it is like changing presets on a synth. The Graphic on my 4k monitor has also improved a lot. I haven't experienced any throttling. But that is of course because I haven't pushed the CPU to the max. I'm running it with a Access Virus TI2 synth, Studio Electronics SE-02, Native Komplete MK2 Keyboard, Apollo twin thunderbolt 2 soundcard and 2xUAD-2 Octo satellite (thunderbolt 2) - and it's running smoothly with no crashes.

About me: I'm a pure hobby musician - so I can't say how it will work in a professional setup. I bought mine in Thailand. It took 9 days to get it customised (upgrade SSD and ram). I don't know how long time it will take in Japan and US. But they can probably do it faster. Good luck with your decision. And a big thanks to Christian Henson for all of your inspiring videos and sharing of knowledge - it's so inspiring to watch. And of course thanks for creating those inspiring sample libraries :)

8. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
  9. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    lol - your dog's thinking "why the fuck's he telling me this" :P

Seriously though, nice video and thanks for the information :)

10. mc_deli

mc_deli n trepreneur

Feb 22, 2015
    That was fascinating, thank you.

I am a bit of a cynic but I have a serious question for you, related to how much value you get from YouTube:

- How much value are you creating for Alphabet?

...by that I mean that, you have put massive effort into your personal YT content, growing the subs, monetizing the channel, and you get a (tiny) share of the revenue that Youtube (=Google=Alphabet) makes from your channel.
    ...you also own/run a company that has put massive effort into YT content, that also spends (a lot I am guessing) on Alphabet-owned ad networks, like Google Ads, search and display, YouTube ads and various other related activities that feed into the Google ecosystem e.g. Google search-optimized content etc.

Of course, you get value back - you get a great video/community service, your marketing people will tell you how many new leads have come in from SA ads... but what do you think the balance is like... you may also get extra value if you own Alphabet shares and benefit from the success of the Alphabet ecosystem... full disclosure: personally I don't own Alphabet shares and am rather disturbed by Alphabet's lobbying power, tax dodging and other monopolistic practices but I create a lot of value for Alphabet every day through working in environments where spending on and using related services is mandated.

11. Mornats

Mornats Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Bristol, UK
    Another side of Alphabet to consider are the products we get for free (well, free as in we don't hand over any money for them). Google search, Gmail, YouTube, Google docs, Android and so on.

I'm not defending their lobbying power, tax dodging or anything else but in all these areas there is competition so we do effectively choose to use Google.

12. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    @christianhenson, I'm concerned about your hearing after watching your latest video below. Please read number two on the list from this article by the National Health Service:

NHS | 5 ways to prevent hearing loss

Other than that, thanks as always for sharing info about the gear you use. Very helpful!

Best,

Geoff

13. OP
    OP
    christianhenson

May 7, 2017
    My hearing is fine... thanks for your concern! Like anything else in life, keep a balance, allow for recovery, and go for check-ups often!

MrHStudio likes this.
  14. Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016
    An interesting topic for a video (IMO) would be the rise of AI and whether it’s going to replace composers (as many seem to believe).