Chris Hein Solo Strings Extended: vibrato control?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Vardaro, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Vardaro

Vardaro Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    The EX intruments have no non-vib sustain, and the vibrato page seems to have no effect. What am I missing?

Also, in ensemble mode, (or in Strings Ensemble,) should the vibrato page modify each "participant", i.e. with non sychronised vibratos, or the ensemble as a whole?(!)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I would also like to have non vibrato samples in the Extended strings, it's the only articulation I truly miss. This was brought up in the thread about the Extended strings release and the answer was that non vibrato playing affects the tone of the playing as well. As far as I'm concerned though, it's a necessary articulation for solo playing.

3. Przemek K.

Przemek K. Senior Member

May 5, 2008
    Yeah, a sustain without vibrato would have been a welcome addition. I miss it too. But I'm wondering whats not working with the vibrato page?
    I tried it just now and both vibrato options (lfo vib and auto vib) are working here.

4. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    You're putting vibrato-on-vibrato that way aren't you? I think that's the point, really. It isn't controllable vibrato on instruments with baked-in vibrato.

5. Przemek K.

Przemek K. Senior Member

May 5, 2008
    Well, the CH Solo Strings still do have the original 6 solo instruments which do have a non vib sustain. But yes, I do , although very very rarely apply the lfo vibrato on top of the sus vib to push it just a little bit over the top.
    The auto vibrato is more of a progressive vibrato and works quite well with the sus with no vibrato.

6. OP
    OP
    Vardaro

Vardaro Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    Well, I find that a very slight, rapid VSO vibrato can add a little "shimmer" to an ensemble patch, in a reverbed setting.

The problem with VSO vibrato must be that it modulates not only the pitch (+volume +timbre) but also the air & wood resonances of the instrument itself - as if its dimensions were being modulated too!

7. Chris Hein

Chris Hein www.chrishein.net

You can control a lot of things to perform an artificial vibrato.
    Pitch, Volume, EQ with all its settings, any EFX parameter or anything.
    If someone could program THE perfect artificial vibrato, I'd pay a lot.

Chris Hein

ProfoundSilence likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Vardaro

Vardaro Active Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Near Paris, France
    Chris, one essential feature you have captured is the slight variability of sustained tone.
    The Vibrato Sustain has subtle variations in the vibrato, and the non-vib Sustain has similar variations in tone and volume.

A "perfect" artificial vibrato, apart from simultaneously modulating pitch, volume and timbre, will need a gentle but perceptible randomisation.

9. remmet

remmet New Member

Feb 15, 2007
    Is there a way, on any of these solo instruments, to control when the vibrato begins? The vibrato seems to start right away, and I wish there was a way to delay the start. That way, there could be an expressive arc to the performance. Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

10. Przemek K.

Przemek K. Senior Member

May 5, 2008
    There is a lyrical vibrato articulation for the original 6 solo instruments where the vibrato is a progressive one.
    When you use a sutain with no vibrato you can delay the vibrato your self. Play a note and drive cc1 modwheel when desired.

Casiquire likes this.
  11. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I do agree with the developer that artificial vibrato applied to a non vibrato sample is not ideal but it does get you through certain situations, and it's useful to have a non vibrato option just in its own right. That is the only articulation i truly miss from the EXtended instruments