What's new

Chris Hein (Ensemble, and Solo Strings) User Tips, Questions, Feedback.

muziksculp

Hi,

Chris Hein has Solo Strings, and Ensemble Strings Libraries, Which have lots of special features. I haven't come across any dedicated posts here that discuss how best to use them, plus tips, and suggestions from users.

So, I thought it will be helpful to have this User Tips thread so we can share tips, and method for best using these String libraries to obtain great sounding results, and performances.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

CH-Solo Strings sound so good in the videos.

Have you been able to accomplish this kind of performances, and great sound using them ?

CH-Solo Strings sound so good in the videos.

Have you been able to accomplish this kind of performances, and great sound using them ?

It's definitely possible but takes a lot of effort with all the little details. I usually settle for a middle ground that has less of those details but still sounds good to me

I bought the CH winds a couple of years ago and the brass, solo strings, and ensemble strings last Black Friday and have been playing with them ever since. Comments above concerning the need for programming are right on. Out of the box you might be disappointed. To get things started:

I hate keyswitches. There is a choice available to put values into CC#6 to change articulations. I've been using this on all the CH libraries and quite like it. Many articulations are common to ALL CH orchestra libraries so if you set the articulations up the same you're home free. HOWEVER the articulations out of the box are a dog's breakfast so need to be redone. Also on some of the instruments CC#6 (and other CC#s for that matter) have not been programmed so you have to do it manually in Kontakt.

While CC# 11 works great for changing dynamic layers, I have found dividing the dynamics program between CC# 7 and CC #11 gives me more the flexibility of sound colour I am looking for.

Explore noteheads within phrases to give slight emphasis where you want it.

In the solo instruments I need to adjust the true legato programming to get the effect I want (in brass I sometimes turn it off).

Of the ton of articulations you are given, quite a few at this point I can't imagine using, ever. Others do not sound like I would expect for that articulation so consider that when you order your articulations, and don't just pick the name when chosing them.

I bought the CH winds a couple of years ago and the brass, solo strings, and ensemble strings last Black Friday and have been playing with them ever since. Comments above concerning the need for programming are right on. Out of the box you might be disappointed. To get things started:

I hate keyswitches. There is a choice available to put values into CC#6 to change articulations. I've been using this on all the CH libraries and quite like it. Many articulations are common to ALL CH orchestra libraries so if you set the articulations up the same you're home free. HOWEVER the articulations out of the box are a dog's breakfast so need to be redone. Also on some of the instruments CC#6 (and other CC#s for that matter) have not been programmed so you have to do it manually in Kontakt.

While CC# 11 works great for changing dynamic layers, I have found dividing the dynamics program between CC# 7 and CC #11 gives me more the flexibility of sound colour I am looking for.

Explore noteheads within phrases to give slight emphasis where you want it.

In the solo instruments I need to adjust the true legato programming to get the effect I want (in brass I sometimes turn it off).

Of the ton of articulations you are given, quite a few at this point I can't imagine using, ever. Others do not sound like I would expect for that articulation so consider that when you order your articulations, and don't just pick the name when chosing them.
Hi @chibear ,

Thanks for your feedback, and tips.

I'm just beginning to discover these CH-Strings Libraries. I will post some questions about them in the next few days.

My initial impression after using CH-Ens. Strings for a couple hours, is that they can sound very expressive, and warm. Which is a big +, many String libraries miss those traits.

Hopefully, I will contribute with some useful Tips once I get a good grasp of this library.

Here is my first questions, and more questions will be posted.

Q. Is there a way to control the volume of the Noteheads ?

i.e. when they are triggered via the keyboard velocity, they sound too loud, I can't find any controls for lowering them to taste. Is it possible to lower/control their volume.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi,

Do you think it's a good idea to change the Topic title to :

Chris Hein Libraries. Tips, Questions, Feedback.

Since there are quite a few CH-Libraries. This could serve as a hub for questions, tips, feedback, etc. about CH-Libraries in general. Instead of limiting it to CH-Strings ? or is it more useful to keep it as is, only for CH-Strings ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Hi @chibear ,

Thanks for your feedback, and tips.

I'm just beginning to discover these CH-Strings Libraries. I will post some questions about them in the next few days.

My initial impression after using CH-Ens. Strings for a couple hours, is that they can sound very expressive, and warm. Which is a big +, many String libraries miss those traits.

Hopefully, I will contribute with some useful Tips once I get a good grasp of this library.

Here is my first questions, and more questions will be posted.

Q. Is there a way to control the volume of the Noteheads ?

i.e. when they are triggered via the keyboard velocity, they sound too loud, I can't find any controls for lowering them to taste. Is it possible to lower/control their volume.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Make sure the "stacked" light is on. Also I find that mostly subtle noteheads (like half, quarter, eigth) work best. Don't try to overuse. I might use it once in a phrase

Make sure the "stacked" light is on. Also I find that mostly subtle noteheads (like half, quarter, eigth) work best. Don't try to overuse. I might use it once in a phrase
Thanks.

So, I guess there is no way to control the noteheads volume.

First of all they need to be re ordered on the details page, then each articulation needs to be programmed for keyboard or x fade etc. according to your chosen workflow.
Thanks.

Yes, having to change the setting for keyboard or x fade, etc. is a pain to deal with when loading patches. Must make my own presets, and save them. I haven't spent much time with the details page, so I will check it out as well.

Wow... Not many users here of CH Strings, and no more tips ?

Why are they not popular ?

I’m a CH user. I wouldn’t say they are not popular really. The instruments offer a lot of tweakability and are recorded completely dry, which likely means it will take a while longer to grasp the possibilities - when compared to let’s say an Abbey Road One ensemble patch. In turn, it is hard to write down “random” tips in a forum thread like this one, without any specific use cases or musical objectives in mind. So maybe your expectations are a bit high in that regard? A lack of response here does not necessarily equate to unpopularity of the VI ;)

I’d give it a bit more time and this thread may grow. What really helps is people (users) posting music and noodlings they did with their Chris Hein instruments. Maybe you can think of some kind of creative challenge and see what the response is going to be?

Last edited:
Q. Do you use the built-in CH-Ambiences, or use your own to place the dry CH-Strings samples in a space ? and what Algorithmic reverb, and/or Convolution Reverb works well with the CH- very dry samples ?

Thanks.

I used to think that switching off Kontakt instruments’ IRs “in general” was the way to go. Switch them off and use my own reverb(s) for ER to “spatialize” instruments. I use EAReverb2 a lot, but also Melda MReverbMB and MTurboReverb. Then for tails I’d use an algorythmic reverb like 7th Heaven or R4.
So in the case of CH instruments, I’d leave the body IR on (of course) and would switch the room/hall one off.

That may actually have been overthinking it. I now just tend to use the internal convolutions, and then on top off those use ER reverbs (on an instrument or section bus) and a global reverb for glueing stuff together (“tails”).

I figure the IRs are there for a reason ;)
Turns out it is way easier + it sounds better too.

I used to think that switching off Kontakt instruments’ IRs “in general” was the way to go. Switch them off and use my own reverb(s) for ER to “spatialize” instruments. I use EAReverb2 a lot, but also Melda MReverbMB and MTurboReverb. Then for tails I’d use an algorythmic reverb like 7th Heaven or R4.
So in the case of CH instruments, I’d leave the body IR on (of course) and would switch the room/hall one off.

That may actually have been overthinking it. I now just tend to use the internal convolutions, and then on top off those use ER reverbs (on an instrument or section bus) and a global reverb for glueing stuff together (“tails”).

I figure the IRs are there for a reason ;)
Turns out it is way easier + it sounds better too.
Hi @doctoremmet ,

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

I have both the body, and Room Convolutions enabled. I can choose from a big variety of body IR presets, which gives me many choices for the character of the strings.

Regarding the Room Convolutions, I was initially thinking it's better to disable it, and use my own, but I found it is not as easy as I initially expected to get a good sound using my own convolution/reverb. So, I'm still experimenting with this detail.

My next test will be to disable the Built-In Room convolutions, and use VSL MIR-Pro, and a high-quality Algorithmic Reverb, I have been doing this with a good degree of success when using Sample Modeling Solo & Ens. Strings, which are also super dry.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Regarding note heads, click on the EDIT in the note head box and each note length can be extensively changed .... volume,.. fade out/in, ... delay in/out . Save the new setting as needed. No 'live" change though.

Muddle

Regarding note heads, click on the EDIT in the note head box and each note length can be extensively changed .... volume,.. fade out/in, ... delay in/out . Save the new setting as needed. No 'live" change though.

Muddle
I don't see any EDIT in the note head box in the CH-Ensemble Strings. I also referred to the user guide, and there is no mention of an EDIT feature for the Note Heads.

Here is what the Note Heads Box shows in CH-Ensemble Strings :

Last edited:
Top Bottom