What's new

Chopin - Prelude in E minor (Cinematic studio strings)

neblix

Music, Math, Cats
Sounds like the score for an unjustifiably depressing experimental movie from the 90s when it's in big strings.

cadenzajon

I'm torn... without the pulsing eighth notes anchoring it, the melody (gushy and romantic as it is) feels a little topheavy. But your dynamics and voicing of the string lines really are beautiful.

TGV

Sounds good, and I like how you've treated the middle voices: it's of an almost Bach like quality. The dynamics were overdone to my taste: I appreciate this piece more for shades between piano and pianimissimo, and the first part overused legato: a short breath between the notes would be welcome. But very convincing.

Vik

Scandi Member
That's one of my favourite piano compositions, and I have also fiddled around with making a string arrangement of it. IMO your arrangement is great (but in my ears the dynamics also sound a tad overdone)... the only 'risky' thing with such a beautiful and romantic piece that becomes even more romantic with a string arrangement, which easily can develop into a little 'toomuch-ness', which is why I wanted to try a different direction: something less 'symphonic' and romantic but maybe more quiet and slow. (I barely like anything faster than adagios anyway. :) )
But again; great work, thanks. :)

neblix

Music, Math, Cats
I'm torn... without the pulsing eighth notes anchoring it, the melody (gushy and romantic as it is) feels a little topheavy. But your dynamics and voicing of the string lines really are beautiful.
It distorts the original texture of the piece, but it's an arrangement... There is no requirement for arrangement to stay true to original texture. He decided to focus on the harmonic colors and express them through dynamic lines.

That being said, for my own tastes, I would arrange this for a smaller string ensemble. I know it's a CSS test, but to me would sound even more beautiful through something like SCS/Sable (and sound more appropriately romantic).

If the OP posts the MIDI, I would totally upload that version. :)

Guy Bacos

Nice job. Orchestrating Chopin is sometimes a delicate task, but this is enjoyable. The only thing, for me, I sometimes found the inner voices too rich, like you've got 35% cream everywhere, it's rich but not as refined as if the voices were balanced more realistically.

E.Heart

Ok, so I still can't get enough of this library :) Made a little string arrangement of Chopin's prelude in E minor.

Well, this theme works out very well with these strings! You should send this piece in, as a demo music for the CSS library. Good dynamic flow too. For some reason I only didn't like the reverb so much. It sounded a bit unnatural. Which reverb did you use?

Top Bottom