What's new

Choosing right genre for distributing original compositions

prasad_v

I've seen a few posts about this topic in the past but dont see a definitive answer. If one writes music that sounds like cinematic soundtracks (orchestral score), what genre does it go under when releasing to stores? It appears distrokid would allow 'Classical' for all stores but itunes, which is fine with me. 'Soundtrack' seems to be reserved for music that is actually part of a film/tv program and this restriction seems to apply to many stores. 'Alternative', 'New age', 'Electronic' seem far from the intended genre. Any suggestions?

I was wondering myself, as I was in a similar position lately for a release.... There is no "Cinematic" option or something like that, and "Classical" is not a correct definition in my case... I chose to put "Alternative" :confused:

i think classical is still the best choice, because "music that sounds like cinematic soundtracks (orchestral score)" is a form of classical music at the end of the day.

i think classical is still the best choice, because "music that sounds like cinematic soundtracks (orchestral score)" is a form of classical music at the end of the day.
Yeah, only thing is - iTunes doesn't like it for some reason :|
Same goes for BMI works registration. It's a mess, honestly...

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.44.32.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.40.31.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.40.31.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom