What's new

Choirs in a Volkswagon: Spitfire + OT + Heavocity + Soundiron

ism

I'm posting this in Sample Talk rather than Member Compositions since the interesting thing isn't the composition itself, but the experiment in seeing what happens when you mix multiple choirs.

Here's the piece:

Into which I've stuffed:

Spitfire Labs choir - wonderful texture with an evo like shifting quality (the full version of which sits in my wish list ... if only I hadn't already gone so crazy with sample libraries throughout the year)

Time Macro - used more subtly here for harmonies, but a very distinctive

Venus - Less sure about how this mixes, but the legato is nice.

Vocalize 2 - using a "rhythmic pad". Moves us more into sound design / hybrid territory, but wanted to see how far I could push this while still keeping an orchestral (or at least somewhat organic) feel. Probably a bit much, but I was having fun with it.

At some point it started to feel like the choral-mixing equivalent of the perennial question: "how many choirs can you fit into a Volkswagen". But as I say - this was an experiment in mixing - trying to chase downs issues that were popping up when mixing choirs in less silly extremes.

Still pondering the result to see if it left me with an communicable insights into mixing choirs ...

In the mean time, wondering if anyone would have and thoughts or criticisms or demos or examples, noodles or maybe even actual compositions to share that involve mixing multiple choirs.

Last edited:
It's interesting that if you know these libraries you can really hear them, but they still merge to form a coherent sound. At least I think so. They don't sound like they are coming from completely different worlds in any event, even though they sound distinct. I would not have thought to add the Heavyocity Vocalise 2. That was a nice touch.

Interesting that it seems to blend so seamlessly. With a bit of distance, I’m hearing it a bit more.

I’m still trying to figure out what I think about this experiment. Including whether it’s a good thing that they blend in this way. Which I think might mean that their individual characters are being washed out.

Certainly much that makes the textures of the Time Macro choir unique are being lost in the mix. although there’s a certain quality of softness that remains that you wouldn’t get with Venus.

Maybe one think I do like about Venus in this mix is that it’s strength comes out. Venus is beautiful, but it’s always been just too epic for me, and there’s something about it always seems to bug me. Maybe the trick is a busy mix.

Actually, I suspect the trick will be to just buy the full Spitfire choir, which is what I think this piece really needs.

Still pondering.

Last edited:
Interesting that it seems to blend so seamlessly. With a bit of distance, I’m hearing it a bit more.

I’m still trying to figure out what I think about this experiment. Including whether it’s a good thing that they blends in this way. Which I think might mean that their individual characters are being washed out.

Certainly much that makes the textures of the Time Macro choir unique are being lost in the mix. although there’s a certain quality of softness that remains that you wouldn’t get with Venus.

Maybe one think I do like about Venus in this mix is that it’s strength comes out. Venus is beautiful, but it’s always been just too epic for me, and there’s something about it always seems to bug me. Maybe the trick is a busy mix.

Actually, I suspect the trick will be to just buy the full Spitfire choir, which is what I think this piece really needs.

Still pondering.
My experiments mixing the Labs Choir with EWSC, Genesis, and the Ark 1-2 Choirs caused me to buy EWC last night.

My experiments in well, listening to the first 10s of the first EWC demo, convinced by that - if I had already gone so crazy with sample libraries in 2018 - it was something I was going to need immediately.

Actually, a few weeks before that, when I grasped the unexpected brilliance of the Time Macro choir concept, I knew immediately that if spitfire ever released a choir Evo - And seriously 10 minutes with Time Macro choirs and you know that is an obvious and inevitably brilliant idea - I would be completely unable to resist it. Was not expecting Spitfire to oblige within a The next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom