What's new

Choir for new age ambient ?

Fredeke

Does anyone have a library to recommend for New Age ambient ?
I'm mostly thinking choirs, but am open to others sounds.

The quicker and easier to use, the better...

Last edited:
Spitfire Eric Whitacre Choir springs to mind, as it is more contemporary in style. The are many old style libs out there, but it seems that you are looking for something more versatile.

MOMA

I'm a big new age music fan and often compose music in that particular style. I think that larger dedicated choir libraries may even be an overkill for the new age genre, so my choice would be something that is more reminiscent to the choir and voice sounds found on traditional keyboard workstations and modules, especially those from Roland and Korg. Not a realistic choir per se, but something that is choir-like.

As a Kontakt and Komplete user, my personal favorites and obvious choices would be Phoenix from FrozenPlain, all the libraries from Sound Aesthetic Sampling, Iron Pack Bundle and Holy Ambiances from Soundiron and last, but certainly not the least, the choir sounds found in Kontakt Factory Library which are IMHO very adequate for new age music. In addition to those, I also have Olympus Elements choir and Clara's Vocal Library (the free version), but as I've wrote before, those may even be bit out of scope for more traditional new age sound.

Waw guys, that's a lot of suggestions. I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks!!!

I think of New Age music as a 90s thing and would use 90s hardware rompler choirs, but maybe new New Age music is very different and I only remember the old New Age music.

As a matter of fact, I am considering purchasing the "vocal" sound expansion card for my JV-1080 :2thumbs:

That was my first impulse anyway. Then I thought: "wait a minute... these are the 2010s... There might be software solutions" ;) But maybe you're right, and that would be the way to go. I certainly would love it, except... it wouldn't be very portable.

You see, my (half-thought through) plan is to churn up new age music (at 432Hz :grin:) as fast as I can and flood youtube and spotify with it - not that I'm the first one to think of that apparently. So being able to do this from my laptop would also be an advantage. No more getting bored in waiting room: just take out the laptop and make a couple of tracks. Four chords, one patch, tons of reverb, and tadaa: one album.

I don't mean to be dismissive of the genre: there's excellent new age music out there, but as with every genre there's also a lot of trash. I aim for the latter. (I just composed one hour-long track already, using the whole hardware studio and a lot of modular synth: it took me 5 days, for an unnecessarily good result. I'd like to bring that down to 5 minutes, for a merely passable result)

Last edited:
Just checked out Omnisphere... An incredible synth !!!
But probably too much for what I want to do.

I must also mention Xpand2 from AIR Music Technology. Plenty of sounds suitable for new age music and with the organization that is very close to that of the traditional hardware workstations, which is what most of the composers from golden era of the genre were using on their works. But you'll also found more than enough sounds in all the categories of the Kontakt Factory Library. As for the 3rd party Kontakt developers, from my personal experience, you should definitely check out the whole portfolio from FrozenPlain, Sound Aesthetic Sampling and CL-Projects. All of them have that sound and credo in mind and their libraries are also relatively affordable, yet of high quality.

Depending on what you define as new age ambient music...
Take a look at Fluffy Audio Dominus choir lib. It's imho well suited for that kind of music.

I’d add presets from Korg M1/Wavestation. They were everywhere back in early 90’s.
I remember the revolution that synth was :)
I wasn't fond of its sounds back then, but they've aged well.
Both fluid and etheral, I'm sure they would do!

Last edited:
Top Bottom