What's new

Chimeric Metal

Hello. I think you need to strip it back to basics and get the chords figured out. I’d also suggest, if you played the parts in live, not to hard quantise everything so much. Some styles of music need hard quantisation but not the last track you shared above.

If the MIDI was drawn in rather than performed then that is a problem for the style in the above track. If you were to play it live on a keyboard and try to keep editing to a minimum then it would sound much more musical and, consequently, more pleasing to the ear.

I think the chords/intervals in the low piano part are too low to be harmonically supportive, and sound too muddy. Maybe bring those up an octave.

It has some interesting seeds of ideas which could be developed further. To me it sounds like you are trying to run before you can walk, musically speaking.

Thanks for sharing and I hope my comments are useful to you.

Last edited:
I would like to thank you for sparing your time to listen my music and writing answer.
I will work on the things that you suggested. I started music very late. Thats because i have to run and catch up you even if i don't want to.
Thank you again.

It is updated.

The title goes beyond introducing. I wonder how I can move it under Member's Compositions.

It is updated.

The title goes beyond introducing. I wonder how I can move it under Member's Compositions.

You can’t move it, but VIC could move it for you. Best bet for now is to start a new thread there when you post your next song, then just include the songs you still want comments on. There should always be dynamic changes going on, it adds to the emotions you’re trying to convey.

Besides what was mentioned I would add more dynamics. Meaning some parts could be softer, or start off softer, which will make the loud parts seem louder and add to the interest for the listener.

Also this can be done with arrangement. Hold back on some of the bigger sounds to quiet the piece, then add them to build it up. This will give the audience some new surprises (even if you change only an instrument, but keep the same notes, it adds variety) and keep them engaged.

This music does seem like it would work better with the right picture. As an experiment, try pulling up an interesting scene from your favorite movie or animated film (hopefully something weird and spacey, like “2001: A Space Oddessy”) and see if you can play to picture in realtime. Or find a video that matches the mood you are going for and see how they work together. You may be surprised how the music changes the scene, and (don’t tell anyone here) how the SCENE changes the MUSIC.

I have mixed many films where the music on it’s own (from me and others) seems like crap, but watching to picture... it works like magic! As you said, it’s all about the emotions it brings up, not about how you got there. Cheers.

Thanks for your feedback:) I will try to apply what they say in the next song. The idea of video can be interesting. Actually, I've thought about it a couple of times, but I couldn't come across the appropriate visual themes.

I threw a ticket to the VIC, but no results. Anyways

The video work was good. In the song, I tried to create some ambiance by muting or opening some sounds.

But what I don't know is that it's right to use a game video like this? Is there a problem in terms of licensing or does companies think of advertising? Youtube is filled with thousands of videos made this way.

!!! --- Spoiler Warning for WOW --- !!!

Last edited:
Maybe, I'm waiting for the administrators would be uncomfortable. but okay let me open a title.

I read through most of the comments in this thread before I listened to your music and based on those comments I thought I would hate your pieces. But actually I kind of like them. They are totally different to anything I have any desire to write and without knowing what your inspirations are and the kind of music you enjoy listening to it's pretty difficult for me to give you advice that could get you closer to your particular goals.

Overall the sound is dated, but it reminds me of old videos games which isn't a bad thing. It's fairly repetitive although I do hear development of themes that continue throughout the entire piece (something a lot of people struggle with). I think the pacing and rhythm is a little tiresome but if your pieces were shorter it may not be such a problem.

So the important thing is, what kind of music do you want to write? Do you have examples of the music you listen to and are trying to emulate in your own music? Sure you're trying to create a new genre, but nothing is new and you must have some influences, share them with us so we can hear your music from your point of view.

I've listened to some of your tracks, and I have to say I have mixed opinions on them. I'm going to be blunt: They sound accidental, repetitive and like they are made by an inexperienced musician who's just starting out and doesn't quite know what they're doing.

However, I do also see a lot of potential and I agree with @d.healey in that they sound a lot like the music of old video games. And indeed, I hear the development of themes as well, and to a significantly lesser degree the development of tonal colour.

Listen to d.healy's advice. It's very valuable. Aside from that, I would strongly recommend learning more about harmony. I'm not saying you need to delve deep into functional harmony (though that might also be a good idea), but I'd study up on harmony if I were you.

The way you use harmony does remind me a bit of Impressionist era of music, so check out Impressionist composers. In that style harmony is more used for colour rather than function. Debussy, Ravel, Bartók.

Additionally, there's a very atonal element to your music. You might enjoy Schoenberg's work.

I would strongly recommend posting your influences, and also giving up on the idea of creating new genres. While some may disagree, genres are essentially marketing terms. They describe already created music.

Instead, if you're interested in working out your own style, study musical form.

And one more note. People are going to be harsh with you, some more than others. Don't let this discourage you. I've been making music since I was 4 years old (my father was a composer, jazz musician and orchestrator), and I still learn new things every day.

Your reaction to the reception of your music has been commendable. You've been patient, you've been upbeat, you've been kind. I applaud that, and I hope you continue to make beautiful music and please don't be discouraged from posting more of it. When people are harsh, sometimes unfairly so, take it to heart that they took the time to listen to your music and develop an opinion on it.

Good luck with your endeavours. If I find the time I'll make sure to listen to more of the music you create. :)

Thank you both very much. Your suggestions are very valuable to me. The reason why the music stops old. I think it's about the program I use. I also like that nostalgic effect.

At first I had no idea of creating a genre of music, but no one could identify the music I made. So I said, then this is it :)

I've been impressed by a lot of music. I seem to be working eclectic by adding something from all of them. This makes me difficult to secure the harmony. But I will try :) I will look at the examples you said.

The repetition of the song is due to my attempt to capture a rhythm. I found this way. I'm looking for a better way. I got a reaction to rhythm and transitions in my first composition and the ones who repeated it after that.

Then I worked on it.

It's not good again. I tried other songs.

These were songs with lyrics.

It's not good again.

Actually, that's what I want to do. I started making instrumental songs while searching for rhythm. The interesting thing is that I can't do music like these right now and I love them. As I learn something, I go into standard patterns. Paradox:)

Last edited:
I opened a title here for new songs.

I'm looking for a team mate for the project.

Top Bottom