What's new

Cheesegrater mac is back!

Main problem with the Registry, regardless of whether you actually open up RegEdit or not, is that many companies stuff all kinds of stuff in there and don't clean it up afterwards and if it gets corrupted in any way, you are pretty much SOL.

I haven't had a registry corruption ever in my 20+ years of using Windows...

Removing things from registry is not obligatory. Some programs store various settings in there. So in case you uninstall the program then reinstall back, you're back with your original settings. Of course, it's usually a better idea to just store this in a settings file somewhere (and a great deal of programs do exactly that), but I'm sure there are very good reasons why certain things get stored to registry and certain other things not. Same thing is valid with plist files on macOS.

Most people in fact SHOULD NOT ever open RegEdit and touch it.

Of course, it's not really for regular users, it's for powerusers. Just like the terminal in *nix and macOS.

But if your registry gets messed up...and it can happen...then guess what your only real option is reinstall windows.

Another option is backing up the registry regularly then replacing it if something goes awry.

I have found OSX to be way way more resilient to those kinds of issues.

That's been my experience too; I don't think I've ever encountered a problem on a Mac that I couldn't recover from pretty easily.

Part of it is that I know what I'm doing on Macs from having worked on them all day long for many years. But it's also that there's always someone who has seen the same obscure issue, whereas I've had issues with my Windows slaves that stymied even legitimate experts.

Of course, that's the tradeoff: Windows works on generic hardware, so you can put together machines with generic components to do exactly what you need and nothing more; macOS is tied to Macs, so there are fewer variables.

Another option is backing up the registry regularly then replacing it if something goes awry

That's the thing - you have to know to do that. I wouldn't have had a clue, and - excuse me if this sounds arrogant, but if I don't know something then you can be sure that the vast majority of people using the computer don't.

anyone who says they have never had a problem with windows in 20 years is lying...haha that's hilarious. If you remember to ghost your machine before every change...sure..I eventually figured out to to do that. Never had to worry about it on mac. That is the truth. Let's just be honest there are pros and cons both ways. Windows wins in compatibility and hardware options..it loses badly in the way we are talking about now and OSX is very much victoriously wonderful.

Harmonia is basically unison, multiplies the voices played and you can offset parameters between them. That was in the old one IIRC as well. It's basically stacking voices, so the whole voice is duplicated, and with it, CPU load as well.

That explains it.

Yo ED, can you give me an example of an Omnisphere patch or patches that will bring my machine to its knees?

I see what Harmonia is now - what I thought of as "the Mult button." :) Yeah, it's in the original version too.

anyone who says they have never had a problem with windows in 20 years is lying...haha that's hilarious.

Please read what I wrote. I said specifically that I never had registry corrupting itself on me in those 20 years. That there were other issues, sure. But W10 has been absolutely the lowest amount of issues for me out of all versions of Windows ever (I go back to W3.11 times). I think I had a total of 3 issues ever since I upgraded to W10 (and they're all resolved now) and they weren't dealbreakers. I had many more issues in W7.

It's probably worth pointing out that there have long been rumors that Apple is preparing to dump Intel. While we're busy projecting what the new Mac Pro tells us about the future, it's possible that the answer is very little.

After all, the first cheese grater was a G5. The next was Intel inside.

Best,

Geoff

It's probably worth pointing out that there have long been rumors that Apple is preparing to dump Intel. While we're busy projecting what the new Mac Pro tells us about the future, it's possible that the answer is very little.

After all, the first cheese grater was a G5. The next was Intel inside.

Best,

Geoff

Yeah, I thought the reason for the long development was that they were waiting for the new chips.

we don't know that they are doing to "dump" intel. We know they are thinking about making some devices with their own chips. The fact that they have committed to the Xeon's for the new MacPro i think indicates we don't need to worry about them dumping intel completely. Now, whether you'll be able to get a mini or iMac with intel in the future, yet to be seen...

Whoa. I didn’t want to be a fire starter over here. My apologies?

I was just curious why some Apple users hate Windows SO MUCH since I kind of love it. My DAWs behave the exact same way on Windows as they do on Macs (which is all I really care) and the latency issues are practically the same on both rigs...so that’s why I was confused. I’ve even heard stories where clients would walk away from studios because windows was used lol. So that’s why my silly curiosity.

Last edited:
Whoa. I didn’t want to be a fire starter over here. My apologies?

I was just curious why some Apple users hate Windows SO MUCH since I kind of love it. My DAWs behave the exact same way on Windows as they do on Macs (which is all I really care) and the latency issues are practically the same on both rigs...so that’s why I was confused. I’ve even heard stories where clients would walk away from studios because windows was used lol. So that’s why my silly curiosity.

I wouldn't say I hate it. I was a Windows user for decades before switching Mac.

I guess for me, when I was on Windows I would think about hardware and the OS once a week. On a Mac, I rarely think about that. I just do music. I guess customization bothers a lot of people ... but for me it brings simplicity and allows me to focus more on music.

But that's just me ...

That's interesting. I didn't think about my hardware ever since I put my machine together (about 3 years now). Everything "just works" (minus those 3 issues that I had - which were in order: iLok refusing to work at all, which was fixed somehow by Anniversary Update, then my webcam not initializing its driver correctly, which was fixed in Logitech's driver update, and actually, I can't remember the 3rd one, it may have been really something minor)!

That's interesting. I didn't think about my hardware ever since I put my machine together (about 3 years now). Everything "just works" (minus those 3 issues that I had - which were in order: iLok refusing to work at all, which was fixed somehow by Anniversary Update, then my webcam not initializing its driver correctly, which was fixed in Logitech's driver update, and actually, I can't remember the 3rd one, it may have been really something minor)!
Considering your level of experience, mind for detail, and your technical abilities, I imagine you did a great job setting it up in the first place, Mario!

I have nearly three decades of working with Macs (starting with System 6), and they're a breeze for me to use and setup; but I've made a mess of my wife's PC. Within minutes of booting up, I have to dismiss virus protection apps trying to uninstall one another, an old version of Office trying to reinstall itself, and other updates trying to install themselves. I'm pretty sure if I were to take the time, I could figure out how to stop all of these automatic processes; but at this point, I only have to deal with this a few times per year, as I've mostly migrated her back to Mac.

Best,

Geoff

Last edited:
we don't know that they are doing to "dump" intel. We know they are thinking about making some devices with their own chips. The fact that they have committed to the Xeon's for the new MacPro i think indicates we don't need to worry about them dumping intel completely. Now, whether you'll be able to get a mini or iMac with intel in the future, yet to be seen...
I'm reasonably certain that we will be able to update the processor in the future, as long as it's supported by the Mac OS. So we'll have to see if they keep any Intel chips in future machines, because then we'd be able to use them.

Im pretty confident that the CPU is upgradeable. A friend of mine upgraded my 6core Vader helmet to 12core within 20min.

Top Bottom