What's new

Cheesegrater mac is back!

That base spec for 6k is terrible, maybe the higher configurations will make more sense?

I think even the iMac pro is going to outperform the base spec for less money and it comes with a screen as well.

Although this machine is not for me, I am thrilled that Apple with this announcement and the PC manufacturers with the recent RTX studio announcement are paying attention to content creators. For the past several years, I have been feeling that crumbs from the gaming market would be the best we could expect. I hope we are entering a golden age of powerful machines for video and audio creators.

Considering how bad Logic's multicore support is, and the fact that this processor likely isn't capable of high boost speeds, is this really going to be ideal for audio unless you're 100% samples with few synths/FX? I'd think one of Intel's 18-core monsters in the 9xxx family would be a lot better with speeds likely ~1.5 to 2ghz higher than this.
They talked about a new Logic X version.

ill be interested to see the benchmarks against what most poeple do with their builds at $1200 or so.
sure looks expensive for the base price but several times there have been comparisons using the same components and its about the same. the mac pro is def going after the high end video market dominated by HP for creative user not doing their own builds. but if you can load 28 cores at 3.5 and 1.tb ram then im thinking building something similar might get to about the same price. then again, those poeple doing builds only need enough for gaming, which more than 32gb of ram is unnecessary. and since thats such a big market, components for those type of builds have come down in price a lot since they can apply economy of scale.

It's $6k for 8 cores base, minimum ram/ssd, with 28 cores... $10k? $12k?

ill be interested to see the benchmarks against what most poeple do with their builds at $1200 or so.
sure looks expensive for the base price but several times there have been comparisons using the same components and its about the same. the mac pro is def going after the high end video market dominated by HP for creative user not doing their own builds. but if you can load 28 cores at 3.5 and 1.tb ram then im thinking building something similar might get to about the same price. then again, those poeple doing builds only need enough for gaming, which more than 32gb of ram is unnecessary. and since thats such a big market, components for those type of builds have come down in price a lot since they can apply economy of scale.

Its a ridiculous price for what it is. They are shutting out a lot of Pros/prosumers here. A 749$ CPU in a $6.000 machine. I think I’ll wait and see if they keep it updated regularly and where it goes. Hopefully more bang for the buck in 2nd gen.

But they didn't run a bajillion Kontakt instances with OT libraries in there, were they? Or a decked out Omnisphere multi? Or some really really heavy Alchemy patches?

It was hard to see on the video, but I saw a lot of Omnisphere (multis I believe) and some Play instances. I'm assuming Kontakt as well but I don't recall seeing it.

I specced out my future computer:

Base: $6,000

Upgrade to 16 core processor: $2,000 (estimated based on iMac Pro's processor pricing)
(16 cores seems to be the sweet spot between clock speed and core count for this computer)

Upgrade to 64gb RAM: $400
(I can always throw in more RAM, but I'd like to start with 64)

Upgrade to 1TB SSD: $600
(I only need 500GB, but I'd rather be able to never have to think about this in the future)

Apple Total: $9,000 + tax

Additional:
PCIe card for NVMe drives: $400
(this is what this is really about for me...and a faster OS drive)

8TB in NVMe drives (4x 2TB): $500 x 4 = $2,000

Additional USB ports: $100
(isn't it ridiculous that I'm excited to just have extra USB A ports for dongles and keyboards?)

Dedicated UPS just to match the power requirements for this computer: $200

Total Total: $11,700 + tax + very long fight with the wife

And imagine, all this money just to run 6 simultaneous instances of Omnisphere.

Here's from the Mac Pro page. The animation shows the CPU falling into place into the socket. More than likely socketed. Meaning upgradable once we find out the SKUs.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-6-09-28-PM.png
28-core
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...on-w-3275-processor-38-5m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

24-core
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...xeon-w-3265-processor-33m-cache-2-70-ghz.html

16-core
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/193753/intel-xeon-w-3245-processor-22m-cache-3-20-ghz.html

12-core
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...n-w-3235-processor-19-25m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

8-core
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...on-w-3223-processor-16-5m-cache-3-50-ghz.html

I specced out my future computer:

Base: $6,000

Upgrade to 16 core processor: $2,000 (estimated based on iMac Pro's processor pricing)
(16 cores seems to be the sweet spot between clock speed and core count for this computer)

Upgrade to 64gb RAM: $400
(I can always throw in more RAM, but I'd like to start with 64)

Upgrade to 1TB SSD: $600
(I only need 500GB, but I'd rather be able to never have to think about this in the future)

Apple Total: $9,000 + tax

Yikes! What's worse is that's in USD, that would be $12,000 Canadian.

ufff... i didnt see the price of those intel chips individually. thats crazy. im guessing powerful though.

i guess its the apple brand is so big. all the news is on mac now.
funny how no one is crying about HP desktops being crazy expensive after customizing
https://store.hp.com/us/en/Configur...Id=&catEntryId=3074457345618619819&quantity=1

funny how no one is crying about HP desktops being crazy expensive after customizing

Both systems offer poor value at the lower spec though because they are Xeon based and everything is more expensive. You'd be better of with a higher end i7/i9 system in that range.

The Xeon chips make much more sense in the higher configurations though where you can get crazy core counts, although the clock speeds on the mac pro takes a nosedive, which I don't know how that will work for pro audio.

I still think the imac pro might end up outperforming the base level mac pro here for less money and with a screen attached. In the higher configurations the mac pro will come into its own but the price at that point will only really be an option for bigger businesses who have the money to fill it full of GPU's.

I still think there's a big gap in Apple's line-up here, people who want power and expansion possibilities in a desktop format but aren't going to drop 6-10k or more on a computer.

From what I've seen most of this market has switched to a PC, are they going to return to Apple for an 8-core, 32Gb RAM, 256GB of storage machine that costs 6 grand?

if Apple took the motherboard of the iMac Pro, added PCI slots and put it into a cheesegrater case for under $5k, I would buy it this afternoon.

woudlnt that be a cheaper new maac pro cheesegrater?

Top Bottom