What's new

Cheesegrater mac is back!

I think in 3 days we will benefit from the trickle of trash cans flocking to ebay :P

oh man....
tempting.
i was thinking of an mac mini which seems great but if a better mac pro trashcan comes around at a similar price id go for that.

i think the new mac pro is a bit much for me now. but i can see many here going crazy about 1000+ tracks inside a daw with no VEP or slave pc. like in the demo. that was quite something.

Disapointed that there's only 4TB max of internal storage in 2x 2TB slots. Not sure if it will be user upgradeable when larger SSDs are available. Not much room for those multiple streams of 8k ProRes RAW!

I waited a long time for this, but I'm probably going to go for the next iMac Pro instead.

That's what PCI Slots are for. A Highpoint Raid card with 4 x 2TB NVMe SSD's fitted would give you 8 TB plus what's on board. And there are 8 slots total.

This is an epic piece of kit. That's Mac Pro with a capital 'P'.

Wow. Just wow. I am a PC guy all the way but this machine has me droooooooling with sexiness! Do the processor, memory and internal drive all offer future upgrade paths?

If one instance of Omnisphere can't choke Logic, then I'd consider a reasonable version of this.

Core overload is not my friend.

Reactions: KMA
Are there hard drive bays or are you stuck buying all your disk space from Apple? Is the ram user upgradeable as well? Assuming so, but with Apple you never know!

Wow. Just wow. I am a PC guy all the way but this machine has me droooooooling with sexiness! Do the processor, memory and internal drive all offer future upgrade paths?

the video in the presentation showed a big space for ram. im guessing hard drive as well.
im not sure about the cpu.
we who waited a year after the old cheesegrater mac got to be able to replace the old cpu. so im guessing this one might be betterwait and see for that.

Are there hard drive bays or are you stuck buying all your disk space from Apple? Is the ram user upgradeable as well? Assuming so, but with Apple you never know!

it all looked user expandable. (not sure about the cpu though). but i could be wrong.

I'm thinking the CPU isn't upgradable. If it is, that could push me from a new iMac or mac mini to one of these beasts....

I think it unlikely. I suspect the cooling on these things is super-critical (they are guaranteeing no thermal throttling) and closely engineered. Apple are unlikely to encourage people to take that particular assembly apart.

I strongly believe the CPU will be socketed. Wouldn't make sense for Apple to solder it in place; Not for a computer with modularity at mind.

Here's from the Mac Pro page. The animation shows the CPU falling into place into the socket. More than likely socketed. Meaning upgradable once we find out the SKUs.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-6-09-28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-6-07-33-PM.png

Here's from the Mac Pro page. The animation shows the CPU falling into place into the socket. More than likely socketed. Meaning upgradable once we find out the SKUs.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-6-09-28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-03-at-6-07-33-PM.png

nice.

im sure the 1st user will chime in into design issues related to thermal problems. seems it was a problem with the MacBooks.

do you have a link from this demo? thanks

it was in the keynote in the apple site but i cannot find it. its there somewhere though. and you scroll until half way and the mac pro and logic pro videos are there.

If one instance of Omnisphere can't choke Logic, then I'd consider a reasonable version of this.

Core overload is not my friend.

I would use Omnisphere on everything, were it not for the heavy CPU load.

I've been waiting for this MacPro for ages.

spectrasonics should have a chat with apple....
have eric be on the next keynote :)

Someone was asking for the "design" video / demo. Its here :

This is the Apple equivalent of the most excellent HP workstations... and (without getting too detailed) looks competitive for price.
Not for the majority of home users. But for 50% of creative professionals creating content (video, AR, VR, Audio, CAD, Animation etc etc) this is excellent.

The idea for storage is simple. Small (ish) extremely fast OS drive - similar (but faster) than the current darth vader box. Then you use TB3 or PCIe storage for projects. OR connect to a 10GBe based (shared) storage unit.
Storage very rarely wants to be part of a workstation inside a business with more than one workstation. Projects need to be transportable between rooms / workstations. Footage gets thrown around all over the place. The days of TB upon TB of internal storage is an old paradigm that doesn't fit the workstation mode - which is clearly what this machine is designed for. (And if you like the old mode, just get yourself a large TB3 connected storage unit and never move it from beside the machine!)

Does this fit everyone's use case? Surely not. But it most certainly is catering for the facility based crowd who need tonnes of processing power, modularity and upgradability. Will many composers working on their own use it? I don't think so. Maybe the top of the mac crowd. Given the new mac mini's are so capable, ditto imacs (pro and otherwise... oh - the pro's use the same xeon family so similar power cpu wise!) then these machines are designed for a purpose, and by the looks of it (I'll reserve my complete judgement till I'm able to sit in front of one) they'll be awesome.

Top Bottom