What's new

Cheesegrater mac is back!

Dewdman42

^ That assumes the beta compatibility list is the same as the release one will be.

I'm not going to put the next macOS on my 5,1 anyway, because it doesn't support 32-bit programs. Too expensive to update them all, and not worth it.

But with iPhones it's different, because most server-based apps (my bank, DirecTV, etc.) require constant updates to work, and they often break when you don't have the latest iOS. You can't just freeze the system, or create different startup partitions with older OS versions.
definitely some folks are hoping that the final release will allow the 5,1. But I think that is highly unlikely. Official statements have been made about it. I don't think Apple will back away from this, but I hope I'm wrong!

I also don't plan to update past Mojave either. At least any time soon. I have some apps that I like using which are a bit obscure and may NEVER get to 64bit frankly. Eventually though, it will come down to whether I want the latest LogicPro update or not..and I will have to update my OS version to get it. That will be the moment of truth.

azeteg

I've also noticed that LPX has issues with dense midi through a channel. You won't necessarily see the CPU meters max out, but you'll get dropped events. Would a faster CPU help? Not sure since I don't have one to compare. Logic may have architectural issues in that area frankly.
Last time I checked into this, there was a limit of 127 events per buffer and track in Logic. Perhaps you're running into this?

Dewdman42

Where do you get your information about 127 events per buffer? I hrard similar rumors. I also hear a rumor it was increased to a much larger value. But anyway midi can be subject to dropouts just like audio if the cpu can’t keep up

azeteg

Where do you get your information about 127 events per buffer? I hrard similar rumors. I also hear a rumor it was increased to a much larger value. But anyway midi can be subject to dropouts just like audio if the cpu can’t keep up
I tested it, filed an Apple bug report and also confirmed it with Apple engineers. They ended up adding a workaround to increase the buffer for VEPro plug-ins. (Since we use more MIDI ports, the number of MIDI events can really add up).

I recall something about the buffer being increased in general with some revision, but I haven't tested this yet.

OP
gsilbers

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
^ That assumes the beta compatibility list is the same as the release one will be.

I'm not going to put the next macOS on my 5,1 anyway, because it doesn't support 32-bit programs. Too expensive to update them all, and not worth it.

But with iPhones it's different, because most server-based apps (my bank, DirecTV, etc.) require constant updates to work, and they often break when you don't have the latest iOS. You can't just freeze the system, or create different startup partitions with older OS versions.
i lost my Soul Calibur game on one of the iOs updates... im still very resentfull about it

Nick Batzdorf

i lost my Soul Calibur game on one of the iOs updates... im still very resentfull about it
The one that I resent is DirecTV requiring an update that didn't support the original iPad I'd bought brand new at full price in the Apple Store only six months before.

As I said, with desktop/laptop computers the old saw about your not being forced to update is true - you just freeze your system and everything still works. Not true with apps that talk to a server.

Top Bottom