What's new

Checking what’s new on vi-control obsession

Simon Lee

I’ve got an obsession with checking out what’s new on vi control, specially the deals and commercial announcement tabs. I seem to check in hourly so I don’t miss out on what’s new. But it feels like a bit of a problem lately. Anyone one else experiencing this ?

Similar. It comes from boredom, no compelling projects so one checks to feel a connection with the professional world. I have a bunch of software to sell as I have changed my work focus. Once they are sold, which might take forever by the looks of things, I will block a lot of online activity. I have already got rid of facebook and that has been good.

Similar. It comes from boredom, no compelling projects so one checks to feel a connection with the professional world. I have a bunch of software to sell as I have changed my work focus. Once they are sold, which might take forever by the looks of things, I will block a lot of online activity. I have already got rid of facebook and that has been good.
I get you, I really have gone off Facebook I don’t engage much on there anymore.

I’ve got an obsession with checking out what’s new on vi control, specially the deals and commercial announcement tabs. I seem to check in hourly so I don’t miss out on what’s new. But it feels like a bit of a problem lately. Anyone one else experiencing this ?

Sounds familiar. I managed to stop checking the deals and announcements sections because I no longer make any music at the moment, but I still check the "latest posts" sidebar way too often.

There are people who successfully quit vi:c, the thing is though, we likely won't hear from them here...

Would you mind explaining a little how to set that up ?

I am running a Raspberry Pi and software called Selfoss to combine lots of feeds into one. This community is one of the feeds. Then, I take that feed and "feed" it to an RSS reader, News Explorer is great, for instance, but there are lots of others, which will display the items, as well as a preview, and if I click on one, I can go straight to a created or replied topic.

Hosting your own software can be skipped, in this case, you just add the RSS feed (its at the bottom of each page) to your chosen RSS reader. You only need to do this once.

The difference between the two methods is that with the second, your reader needs to be open or run in the background to check for new items, while with software that combines feeds into one, this can happen even if your RSS reader is closed. I guess I just don't want to miss anything that comes in ☺️

Alternatively, there are RSS readers that work in a web browser, TinyRSS or Miniflux, to name a few.

For those unfamiliar with it, RSS is great in general, lots of news sites support it, as well as forums, blogs, reddit, tweets can be converted to an RSS feed, News Explorer even supports Youtube channels, etc. The advantage is that you don't need to open each page separately to check what's new, it all happens in the background.

Hope this helps!

I am running a Raspberry Pi and software called Selfoss to combine lots of feeds into one. This community is one of the feeds. Then, I take that feed and "feed" it to an RSS reader, News Explorer is great, for instance, but there are lots of others, which will display the items, as well as a preview, and if I click on one, I can go straight to a created or replied topic.

Hosting your own software can be skipped, in this case, you just add the RSS feed (its at the bottom of each page) to your chosen RSS reader. You only need to do this once.

The difference between the two methods is that with the second, your reader needs to be open or run in the background to check for new items, while with software that combines feeds into one, this can happen even if your RSS reader is closed. I guess I just don't want to miss anything that comes in ☺️

Alternatively, there are RSS readers that work in a web browser, TinyRSS or Miniflux, to name a few.

For those unfamiliar with it, RSS is great in general, lots of news sites support it, as well as forums, blogs, reddit, tweets can be converted to an RSS feed, News Explorer even supports Youtube channels, etc. The advantage is that you don't need to open each page separately to check what's new, it all happens in the background.

Hope this helps!
I used to use RSS a lot but thought it had more or less died out. Thanks for reminding me, I might go old school agaain. I am certainly transitioning to more of an offline life. Facebook has gone, a few forums have gone and more to follow.

I used to use RSS a lot but thought it had more or less died out. Thanks for reminding me, I might go old school agaain. I am certainly transitioning to more of an offline life. Facebook has gone, a few forums have gone and more to follow.
Old school is sometimes awesome. I don't blame you for leaving Facebook and other forums, decluttering your tech life is always great. More time for composing ☺️

Top Bottom