What's new

Cheapest way to get Komplete 12?

Ethera Gold requires the full version of K6. ETA: That's why I'm not purchasing Ethera Gold until KU12 goes on sale.
I also just bought Ethera gold just to not miss the sale (along with the loyalty discount it cost me 63.9$).
Looking back it seems NI does their "summer of sound" sale each June. So Ethera gold will sit aside for a couple of weeks, and then i'll be able to upgrade from KU11 to KU12 for $199.

I also just bought Ethera gold just to not miss the sale (along with the loyalty discount it cost me 63.9$).
Looking back it seems NI does their "summer of sound" sale each June. So Ethera gold will sit aside for a couple of weeks, and then i'll be able to upgrade from KU11 to KU12 for $199.
Assuming they do the summer sale that same way. Otherwise you might end up having to sit on Ethera Gold for a good long while.

Assuming they do the summer sale that same way. Otherwise you might end up having to sit on Ethera Gold for a good long while.
It's a gamble. But i checked what happend in the past, and NI seem to be consistent. Summer of 2018, 2017, 2016 all had 50% sale of Komplete upgrades (as well as other discounts).

It's a gamble. But i checked what happend in the past, and NI seem to be consistent. Summer of 2018, 2017, 2016 all had 50% sale of Komplete upgrades (as well as other discounts).
Yep, it's pretty regular. And if past dates are an indicator, it should drop in a few days.

Hmm, maybe I should finally update to Ultimate. Do I get to keep my Kontakt 5 license or am I forced to upgrade to 6? Really don't feel like redoing everything...

On the basis the NI offers mirror the Best Service ones...a quick bit of clumsy maths suggests the cheapest way into K12 from scratch would be Komplete Select > Komplete 12 Upgrade.

Strangely, for just a *little* bit more, you could actually get some lower end NI hardware (e.g M32) > Upgrade to Komplete Select > Upgrade to full Komplete from there.

(Edit for fact correction - thanks guys!)

Last edited:
Bertservice only shows upgrades and updates. Maybe there will be discounts for new customers too over at NI so that select or getting k12 would be cheaper.

If not: the m32 is actually really good but it doesn't come with select, it comes with "komplete start". So you'd still have to upgrade to select and then k12.

Strangely, for just a *little* bit more, you could actually get some lower end NI hardware (e.g M32) with Komplete Select bundled and upgrade to full Komplete from there.

Unfortunately, Komplete Select is only included with Kontrol S-Series keyboards.

Unfortunately, Komplete Select is only included with Kontrol S-Series keyboards.
the m32 is actually really good but it doesn't come with select, it comes with "komplete start". So you'd still have to upgrade to select and then k12.
You are both, of course correct and will update my post to reflect. It's what I meant to type in the first place but clearly not enough coffee yet.. Factoring a hardware purchase and using that as a springboard to upgrade through the Komplete system seems to add very little to the overall cost.

It looks like a sneaky route for me would be: Komplete Audio 2 > Komplete Select 12 Upgrade > Komplete 12. A lot cheaper than a standard K12 purchase and new hardware to boot.

Last edited:
I actually have a question about this. I'm still on Komplete 9, if I upgrade to Komplete 12 (thus getting Kontakt 6) and have both running side-by-side, that's great. However, if I build a new machine from scratch in the future, will I still be able to install the older Kontakt 5? I'm under the impression that Native Access will only have the latest installers within the Kontakt 6.x series (and I'm not sure if upgrading means I surrender my Komplete 9 license/installers).

Just had this myself although I notice they say it will “ship as soon as we have it in stock”. I don’t want a boxed version unless I have to, but if I buy it surely native access will “know” that my account has upgraded and just let me download the stuff? Or is that not how it works?

Just had this myself although I notice they say it will “ship as soon as we have it in stock”. I don’t want a boxed version unless I have to, but if I buy it surely native access will “know” that my account has upgraded and just let me download the stuff? Or is that not how it works?
I also join the question. It also doesn't make sense - to get the boxed product as an update/upgrade. I can understand the logic if you don't have Komplete at all. But to add a few more instruments and libraries there's no sense in a boxed version.

By the way - why the different terminology? What's the difference between "update" and "upgrade"?

By the way - why the different terminology? What's the difference between "update" and "upgrade"?
Update: You come from the same product but older version (for example: Komplete Ultimate 11 to 12).
Upgrade: You come from a smaller product (for example: Komplete 11 to Komplete Ultimate 12).

Manuel beat me by 10 seconds. Anyway, this boxed- thing is really disturbing. I am planning to go from Komplete 11 to Ultimate 12 and the price is 30 € cheaper at T&S than at BS. But there's no info about shipping costs, which can quickly become rather costly.

EDIT: Going to checkout, I found it out. The shipping costs to Finland from UK would be €14.67 standard and FedEx 1-day-delivery is €24.92.

Reactions: J-M
Manuel beat me by 10 seconds. Anyway, this boxed- thing is really disturbing. I am planning to go from Komplete 11 to Ultimate 12 and the price is 30 € cheaper at T&S than at BS. But there's no info about shipping costs, which can quickly become rather costly.

EDIT: Going to checkout, I found it out. The shipping costs to Finland from UK would be €14.67 standard and FedEx 1-day-delivery is €24.92.
Me too, with NI it's a download option

Top Bottom