What's new

Cheap or free library with nice choir shorts?

Dex

I’m looking for some good, powerful choir shorts. “Ah” and “Nah” is all I need. Recommendations?

Quasar

I dunno. Choir libraries tend to be pricey. Inexpensively, you could check out Soundiron's Olympus Micro. Might just be "Ah" and "Oh" though.

For free:
https://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-choirz/

And you could checkout bigcat instruments/VSCO community. But I don't know if there are choirs included or not.

OP
D

Dex

Resurrecting this now that Soundiron is having a sale. I've been looking for good choir shorts for a while (think Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish). Would Olympus Micro do it or should I be looking at a different library, either from Soundiron or someone else?

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Resurrecting this now that Soundiron is having a sale. I've been looking for good choir shorts for a while (think Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish). Would Olympus Micro do it or should I be looking at a different library, either from Soundiron or someone else?
Well, it doesn't have "Nah" but it does sound good.

OP
D

Dex

Requiem light sounds pretty good too...dang.

Does anyone have experience using choir libraries in metal music?

DSmolken

I've rendered some choir stuff for a metal band; they like the Metropolis Ark 1 choir a lot better than the Olympus, which I have in the Elements edition. Olympus kinda sounds like a deluxe version of 90s rompler choirs which metal bands used a lot back in the day, because the note starts are trimmed pretty aggressively. Quite playable and big, but not as realistic as the MA1 choir. So, sadly, for metal expensive is probably best. You'll want short syllables and probably close mic positions.

Decent "ah" longs you can probably find. Aggressive "ah" shorts, and "nah" shorts... well, if I had to do that for free, that wouldn't be easy. Maybe that big Converse library that had a gospel choir would have something that would work. You could probably layer something from various UTAU voices if you want to learn how that works and dig through hundreds of available voices and their license agreements, and maybe layer with Alter/Ego.

The thing with choirs is that real ones are so difficult logistically - it's a lot easier to schedule a recording with one singer than with 4 or 5, much less 20 - that it's hard to get much free or cheap. I've been trying to get a small choir recorded doing some short syllables since last summer, and only have some test recordings so far. Proper recording might start next week.

Henu

I've done quite a lot of metal choir stuff- mostly real singing for what it comes to a "choir performance", but what @DSmolken said holds rather true. Especially the Olympus-part. :D I use a modded Korg N364 choir (hardware) on all metal stuff I do for the "choir pad" sounds, and refuse to change it, haha!

If you want full Nightwish, get Oceania from Performance Samples. (or, get that N364 if talking about anything pre- 2006 or so, hah!) Olympus for basic "synth choir" duties and Requiem Light could also work wonders as something-in-between of those.

But if you just want those short and fast things, Oceania is definitely your best bet, as it is also punches through a dense mix rather nicely.

Last edited:

DSmolken

Yeah, and if Oceania's too expensive, not sure if that leaves much for aggressive shorts other than laboriously layering and processing stuff you can get for free. Which is gonna be laborious.

You could layer something decent from synths, too bad there's not a lot of powerful/shouty voices for those. Just for fun, here's a little vid I did on making a synth choir from solo synth vocals:

Use 2-3 different voices instead of just one, and it would work for "nah!" and "ah!" For technical reasons, synthesizing staccato syllables that are one consonant and one vowel reasonably well doesn't take much source data. But that's kind of getting off topic.

You can also use similar principles to layer sampled solo voices, or recordings of a smaller choir, or even multiple copies of your own voice (especially if you can do formant shifting without obvious artifacts, though not sure if any free shifter can deliver that well enough).

Top Bottom