1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change hotkeys lay-out in Chris Hein Ensemble Strings

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Woodie1972, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Woodie1972

Woodie1972 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Drachten
    Hi,

I'm really enjoying Chris Hein Ensemble Strings, but what is annoying to me, is that in the celli and basses the keyswitches (hotkeys as CH calls them) are in the lowest octaves of the keyboard. Due to this, celli and basses have to be written two octaves higher in my scores than normal to get the right pitch. At first I thought I only had to get used to it, but now I've tried it for some time, I can tell this won't happen.
    So, my question is if it is possible to change this lay-out and move the keyswitches to the upper two octaves, so I can write the instruments at their normal pitch in the score. I've already checked the manual, but it doesn't say anything about that. I've dug pretty deep into kontakt's editor also, but I can't really find it, plus that I'm afraid to ruin the library and will run into other problems.
    I hope there's a solution to this.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    MaxOctane likes this.
  2. Chris Hein

Chris Hein www.chrishein.net

No, thats not possible. The KS position is fixed.
    I have to check if my scripter can program a special "KS up" version.
    Give me a few days to see if thats possible.

Chris Hein

3. Paul Jelfs

Paul Jelfs Member

Feb 26, 2018
    That would also be great for me Chris. As i use Cubase, and often like to the use the Divsi Chord Feature , as well as large Expression Maps for your libraries, and because of the positions of the KS / HK i often accidently trigger the wrong artic, especially with the Chord Pads.That plus the OP's point. Cheers.

4. OP
    OP
    Woodie1972

Woodie1972 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Drachten
    Thanks for your swift reply, Chris! Would be great if you could check this, hopefully it will be possible.

5. OP
    OP
    Woodie1972

Woodie1972 Senior Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Drachten
    Hi Chris,

Is there already any news if the KS position can be changed?

6. Chris Hein

The programming is already done.
    I still need a few weeks for testing and preparing the update installer.
    If you'd like to have a beta version, send me a mail.

Chris Hein

7. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    This is also my #1 request: that cello+bass play in the octave written. Otherwise, there's no way to properly play a multi-instrument.

8. Chris Hein

Hm, I don't agree. You won't be able to play a multi instrument on one channel, because the keyswitches are not the same.

The way it is now lets you play two instruments together and the Cello plays 1 octave lower.
    Isn't that actually how it should sound?
    If not, you can always transpose the Cello 1 octave higher in the GUI.

Or you can duplicate a MIDI track played with the Violin and assign it to the Cello.
    The Cello will play in its correct range, 1 octave lower without any edits.

If you have the Keyswitches on the right side and duplicate a track,
    you'll have to do a lot of edits to move the notes lower and the KS notes 5 octaves higher.

However, there will be new instruments for Cellos and Basses while the existing ones stay untouched,
    so its up to you which version you want to use.

Chris Hein