What's new

Century Strings / Century Brass opinions

century string has a good sound in total its good except (Marcato pitch) not good enough plus there's no ensemble section ( just individual section) if you have a plan to buy centry string you should have another string library to fill the gap best to buy in Discount Time... ...
Thanks for your insight!

century string has a good sound in total its good except (Marcato pitch) not good enough plus there's no ensemble section ( just individual section) if you have a plan to buy centry string you should have another string library to fill the gap best to buy in Discount Time... ...
I'm curious, what do you find lacking with the Marcato ?

If you don't know them yet, you may want to have a look at the following videos too:

Century Brass:
"Hands On" - 8DIO Century Brass Part 1:
"Hands On" - 8DIO Century Brass Part 2:
[REVIEW] What is Century Brass Good For?:

Century Strings:
Hands On - 8DIO "Century Strings Bundle":

For both Strings as well as Brass a 2.0 version update is in the making :).

If you don't know them yet, you may want to have a look at the following videos too:

Century Brass:
"Hands On" - 8DIO Century Brass Part 1:
"Hands On" - 8DIO Century Brass Part 2:
[REVIEW] What is Century Brass Good For?:

Century Strings:
Hands On - 8DIO "Century Strings Bundle":

For both Strings as well as Brass a 2.0 version update is in the making :).

Thanks for the heads up!

I have Century bundle, and love it. The sound is great, and will be much improved once 2.0 is released. Lots of articulations, as well as a full articulation set for mutes.

EDIT. Century Brass

Last edited:
my 2cents on century strings
I got the bundle recently and TBH I couldn't sense any added value or use that I can make out of this library in addition to what I can achieve with the strings libraries I already have (CSS, CSSS and SCS).

Not to say that the library is bad by any means but rather to alert anyone trying to make a decision as to be wise and think what this library would get you in addition to what you already have.

If you have no solid strings library(ies) already then I think getting Century Strings bundle is a perfect deal. But if you're already set with what you have, you may consider just getting the Sordino whereas it's the most accomplished library in the market in this regard I believe.

Overall, tonewise, the library sounds beautiful and unique if you need just to expand on your strings palette.

Another thing that is extremely well done in this library is the balance across all articulations which is seamless and almost perfectly accurate when you switch between the various articulations.

The Marcatos (in both, brass and strings) are not bad at all but they have a different concept. They are all one shots. Once you trigger them they play until the end of sample. There is a speed dial where you can select the length (by selecting different real recorded samples of different length by CC). Great results when you edit stuff but it can be a workflow killer. To get the right length of Marcatos you have to have the speed dial in place before you play. Otherwise the notes are ending somewhere or ringing out and nothing will stop them.
A lot of users asked for simple note-on-note-off Marcatos with release samples. 8dio promised to update soon.
Same for the single patches approach. There are very flexible multi articulation patches (like a list where you can select articulations for key switching on the fly). But sometimes you want 'just' a spiccato. Also soon (since about a year). Seems to be a lot of work.
Otherwise both libraries are really good! Very complete set of articulations, even more when you add the muted and ostinato versions of the strings. Brass has good muted versions too (short and longs).

Until They release the update they are not worth imo. Too much work required to make them sound good. And the marcatos are more like mid length notes, they miss some bite.

I am amazed that, considering the kind of reputation 8Dio has had around forum like this, they dared to say "soon" that long ago.

Not hating on them at all (really like they sound) but sometimes it looks like they are just putting more wood on the fire.

Until They release the update they are not worth imo. Too much work required to make them sound good. And the marcatos are more like mid length notes, they miss some bite.

I am amazed that, considering the kind of reputation 8Dio has had around forum like this, they dared to say "soon" that long ago.

Not hating on them at all (really like they sound) but sometimes it looks like they are just putting more wood on the fire.
Thanks for your thoughts!

The Marcatos (in both, brass and strings) are not bad at all but they have a different concept. They are all one shots. Once you trigger them they play until the end of sample. There is a speed dial where you can select the length (by selecting different real recorded samples of different length by CC). Great results when you edit stuff but it can be a workflow killer. To get the right length of Marcatos you have to have the speed dial in place before you play. Otherwise the notes are ending somewhere or ringing out and nothing will stop them.
A lot of users asked for simple note-on-note-off Marcatos with release samples. 8dio promised to update soon.
Same for the single patches approach. There are very flexible multi articulation patches (like a list where you can select articulations for key switching on the fly). But sometimes you want 'just' a spiccato. Also soon (since about a year). Seems to be a lot of work.
Otherwise both libraries are really good! Very complete set of articulations, even more when you add the muted and ostinato versions of the strings. Brass has good muted versions too (short and longs).
Thanks for clarifying the marcato issue. Definitely makes sense

Top Bottom