What's new

Catalina on 5,1 MacPro

Dewdman42

Dosdude has a new Catalina patcher out now. I just wanted to report that I installed Catlina on my 5,1 Mac Pro (on a spare partition in order to test it out). It was easy to install with DosDude's patcher and it seems to be working 100%. I do not plan to transition to Catalina at this time, but I may occasionally try out some of my key software there over time and see how it goes. I'm also still waiting for ALL of my software to give a green light about Catalina, which still isn't quite there yet.

But anyway, if anyone was wondering or worried about being able to run Catalina on the 5,1, I think don't worry, seems to work fine with DosDude's patcher.

for sure. Its kind of ridiculous that Apple has dropped support for the 5,1 honestly.

Anyway, even though Catalina seems to run perfectly fine, I have since done an analysis of how much software I have that may not run on Catalina (yet) and the list is actually huge. Some items are things I seriously rarely if ever use anyway, so probably can live without, but I don't see any point in living without anything, until I am forced to upgrade for some benefit I need in the future, which right now there is none, only downsides for upgrading.

Sweetwater's list of compabilities still has a lot of even prominent stuff listed as "don't upgrade yet". By the time everyone catches up the next OSX version will be out. So anyway, I have no plans to go to Catalina, not on this mac or any new mac. But I just wanted to see how well it works JUST IN CASE. And it turns out, Catalina seems to run fine. Looks like Dosdude has to include some kind of built-in audio hack...making this officially a hackintosh. But it works.

I reckon some day I will buy a new mac or something in a couple of years and its nice to know that I could retire this 5,1 to office duty or VePro server or something...and able to run Catalina if I want.. Eventually, Apple is going to do something that requires Catalina to get the newest LogicPro, and that is when the rubber will hit the road for me.

Top Bottom