1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caspian Brass VS Adventure Brass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by leon chevalier, Dec 5, 2017.

1. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Looking for time to compose...

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Just curious about the two libs and their "just play it" concept :)

Owners of both, please tell us what you think !

Quasar, miguel88 and calebfaith like this.
  2. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    leon chevalier likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    I was very hyped by adventure brass and now I'm hyped by Caspian! I don't really need a new brass lib but this topic was in my mind since Caspian was teased.

To me Caspian brass has not created the interest it deserves. Maybe releasing it during the black Friday craziness wasn't the best move ?
    Anyway I hope early adopters will share their thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Sure no problem, I think Leo can watch also my comments under members compositon where I feature the demo. Maybe that helps. In quick words: Caspian brass is also like ADB a true playable one patch for everything library which is very convincing and what I personally like on Caspian B. apart from its playability is the flexible sounds which you can get out of the microphones (close, Decca, Wide). So you can dial from very dry to epic large hall sound. As the decca and wide offer a true believable space that was for me great as I mix a lot with the micings. Another point is the tone which sounds to my ears a bit more choclatie, especially the bass bones have a lot of range and are the best bones I have hear for quite a while.

leon chevalier likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Thanks Alex for the feedback!

6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Adventure Brass ends ad mezzoforte while Caspian has a soft layer too. So Caspian can also do nice pad like comping that for my taste sounds too honky in Adventure Brass.
    AB has the tenor trombones and low brass divided which is more flexible but less fun to play because you mostly need two tracks for full low chords. Caspian's bass trombones spread (nearly) the whole trombone range with one patch but has no tuba.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Thanks Saxer for the useful informations!

8. mac

mac Senior Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Are there any logic caspian users? The website clearly states logic isn't and wont be supported, so I'm wondering just how bad it performs?

9. Ellest

Ellest print('Title')

Sep 25, 2017
    I'm wondering this as well as I'm looking for a moderately priced (even more so with the sale) brass library with good playability to make up for my utter mediocrity :P. I'm thinking of getting Cubase next year so it might be a worthwhile investment to get it now at a discount and play around with it if the CPU spikes aren't too overwhelming.

10. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    The CPU in Logic is comparable to fast played Spitfire Performance Legatos or polyphonic Adventure Strings: the active core tends to spike from time to time. I can play without problems two mic positions (default) but the right (active) CPU shows full level when playing chords. MacPro 2013 dust bin 8 x 3,5GHz here. The CPU goes back to 20% when played back on a non active track (not armed for recording). On a slower Mac it might give audible drops but you can work around using one mic position only for recording.
    Actually Jaspers Logic warning is based on my beta testing. I made a little video that shows the CPU spikes but also shows that it's possible to work with the library in Logic. Other developers wouldn't be that careful and I think it's an absolutely fair gesture. But at least on my Mac it isn't as unusable as it looks.

11. clisma

clisma Senior Member

Apr 13, 2015
    I echo Saxer’s comments on Caspian and Logic. It works well enough. I’m on a 5,1 MacPro 12-core @ 3.06Ghz and am mostly fine with two mic positions active. If I start playing chords, however, that’s when the core overloads. Dialing it down to just one mic position takes care of the problem.

So in the end, it’s excellent that the warning exists on the website, but it is no more of a problem than with, say, heavily scripted instruments from Sample Logic and others.