Caspian Brass VS Adventure Brass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by leon chevalier, Dec 5, 2017.

1. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Cinematic Studio Bumper

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Just curious about the two libs and their "just play it" concept :)

Owners of both, please tell us what you think !

Quasar, miguel88 and calebfaith like this.
  2. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    leon chevalier likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    I was very hyped by adventure brass and now I'm hyped by Caspian! I don't really need a new brass lib but this topic was in my mind since Caspian was teased.

To me Caspian brass has not created the interest it deserves. Maybe releasing it during the black Friday craziness wasn't the best move ?
    Anyway I hope early adopters will share their thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. AlexanderSchiborr

AlexanderSchiborr Senior Member

May 1, 2014
    Sure no problem, I think Leo can watch also my comments under members compositon where I feature the demo. Maybe that helps. In quick words: Caspian brass is also like ADB a true playable one patch for everything library which is very convincing and what I personally like on Caspian B. apart from its playability is the flexible sounds which you can get out of the microphones (close, Decca, Wide). So you can dial from very dry to epic large hall sound. As the decca and wide offer a true believable space that was for me great as I mix a lot with the micings. Another point is the tone which sounds to my ears a bit more choclatie, especially the bass bones have a lot of range and are the best bones I have hear for quite a while.

artmuz and leon chevalier like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Thanks Alex for the feedback!

6. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    Adventure Brass ends ad mezzoforte while Caspian has a soft layer too. So Caspian can also do nice pad like comping that for my taste sounds too honky in Adventure Brass.
    AB has the tenor trombones and low brass divided which is more flexible but less fun to play because you mostly need two tracks for full low chords. Caspian's bass trombones spread (nearly) the whole trombone range with one patch but has no tuba.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Thanks Saxer for the useful informations!

8. mac

mac Guest

Are there any logic caspian users? The website clearly states logic isn't and wont be supported, so I'm wondering just how bad it performs?

9. Ellest

Ellest print('Title')

Sep 25, 2017
    I'm wondering this as well as I'm looking for a moderately priced (even more so with the sale) brass library with good playability to make up for my utter mediocrity :P. I'm thinking of getting Cubase next year so it might be a worthwhile investment to get it now at a discount and play around with it if the CPU spikes aren't too overwhelming.

10. Saxer

Saxer Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Frankfurt/Germany
    The CPU in Logic is comparable to fast played Spitfire Performance Legatos or polyphonic Adventure Strings: the active core tends to spike from time to time. I can play without problems two mic positions (default) but the right (active) CPU shows full level when playing chords. MacPro 2013 dust bin 8 x 3,5GHz here. The CPU goes back to 20% when played back on a non active track (not armed for recording). On a slower Mac it might give audible drops but you can work around using one mic position only for recording.
    Actually Jaspers Logic warning is based on my beta testing. I made a little video that shows the CPU spikes but also shows that it's possible to work with the library in Logic. Other developers wouldn't be that careful and I think it's an absolutely fair gesture. But at least on my Mac it isn't as unusable as it looks.

11. clisma

clisma Senior Member

Apr 13, 2015
    I echo Saxer’s comments on Caspian and Logic. It works well enough. I’m on a 5,1 MacPro 12-core @ 3.06Ghz and am mostly fine with two mic positions active. If I start playing chords, however, that’s when the core overloads. Dialing it down to just one mic position takes care of the problem.

So in the end, it’s excellent that the warning exists on the website, but it is no more of a problem than with, say, heavily scripted instruments from Sample Logic and others.

12. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Flibbertyjibbit

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    With Caspian Brass on $99 flash sale, I find myself revisiting this topic.

On the one hand, it's so similar to Adventure Brass, which I already own. But Caspian sounds more natural to my ear...and those bass trombones! Those alone might be worth the cost. And of course there's upcoming Cinematic Studio Brass to factor in.

Folks who own both, do you find that Caspian mostly replaces AB in your writing?

13. DivingInSpace

DivingInSpace Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    This sparked my interest too as i don't have a dedicated Brass library, only ensemble based (Albion One, Symphobia 1+2). Only problem is that i use Logic which they advice against, and i'm not sure if this would be a good general brass library.

14. OP
    OP
    leon chevalier

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    Same here. I did not buy Caspian (or any other brass) because of CSB but it's now a two years waiting... The more it goes the more I think of the abondon of the first cinematic serie... I think I will pass on this sale too and wait till the end of the year.

15. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    I use Adventure Brass in Logic and I think it has similar performance issues as Caspian Brass. With a lot of instruments loaded I have to do some freezing, but in general it hasn't been an issue for me. The massive convenience of playing everything with one patch outweighs it. And I plan to start using VE Pro (all on one computer) and that would fix the Performance Samples issues.

In this thread:
    https://vi-control.net/community/th...les-_-con-moto-cellos-now.75598/#post-4289193
    Saxer says (about Performance Samples Con Moto Cellos) "CPU killer in Kontakt 5 at the active channel in Logic but runs really fine in Kontakt 6!"

It's early days for K6, but I'm hopeful that it'll fix the Logic CPU problem for Performance Samples and Musical Samples.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:06 AM
  16. Tekkera

Tekkera Senior Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Caspian is totally worth it for $99 even if you don't have a dedicated brass library, this library is so convenient to use and is surprisingly expressive. One of the few libraries that I'm not too afraid to use as the most upfront instrument.

17. Gerbil

Gerbil Senior Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I own AB and bought Caspian in the sale. Both of them are great to play and very inspirational. They make using keyswitch libraries feel pretty laborious. Caspian has a (wonderful) wider dynamic range with a brighter top end and more mic options for sculpting. AB bests it in the short notes dept imo. They're punchier and a bit more realistic. What I love about AB is its soundstage, which is pretty dry but still has a nice colour to it. It makes the library very easy to mix and blend with others. What does shine through with both are that they are programmed by very musically intuitive people. Summary: get both when you can.

The Horns are decent, the trumpets very nice but the real jewel with the Caspian library are the trombones which are magnificent. I'd have paid the cash just for those alone quite frankly. They have that extra something that I can't get from OT, Cinebrass or Hollywood Brass, helped enormously by their playability. If you like your bones then I think you'll kick yourself for not adding them at this price.

Btw, I bought the Fluid Shorts library as well seeing as it was so cheap. It's really quite excellent, especially the ultratight patches for live performance. Got to say I'm really digging this company (same with Musical Sampling) and will definitely be buying their other libraries when funds permit.

18. JohnBMears

JohnBMears Senior Member

Jan 12, 2015
    I bought CB yesterday (did I really need another brass library?) The trombone patch is the most useful bone patch I've ever tested. The trumpets feel super bright, but still a great patch. I bought it for the horns and sadly that is what I view as the weakest patch. It's not useless by any means- feels like the staccato and sustained note articulations from Hollywood Brass. Super thick sounding chords result from playing triads with 6 horns, kind of wish it had only 4 players. Or maybe added one more patch a 2 horn patch for triads. That would have been super useful. For $99 this is surely a great find!

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  19. pipedr

pipedr Senior Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Is Caspian brass just for big loud brass or can it substitute for a larger library like Hollywood brass or 8dio century brass?

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  20. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    ^^^I wonder this too as far as dynamics are concerned.

As far as comparing to HB, this has only three instrument patches (6 Horns, 3 Trumpets, 3 Bass Trombones). So no tuba, trombones, or any solo instruments. Also no legato (though I don't find this to be a problem with my Adventure Brass). No mutes, no special articulations like rips or double tongue, stuff like that.

All this might sound like I'm putting it down, but in fact it's similar to my Adventure Brass and I LOVE this method of sampling. Just load up a patch and play, no key switching. And I find EastWest's Play engine to be a nightmare.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM