What's new

Carmageddon

really nice retro writing!

The examples in this part of the course really lend themselves to that and not many composers can write that way. That said it takes some effort to bring these techniques into the 21st century. Not saying you can't but stating a general fact on the course.

On the sequencing front the piece works great when there are pizz and short notes. when lines become more legato the notes need more attention paid to them, especially dynamics.

A lot of Book 11A has a 50's sci-fi vibe to it. Most of the contemporary film stuff today is much simpler and less dense. As I have already completed Book 12, this book is the only thing I have to complete before I am "graduated". Then what happens?

Nice one. I only sometimes fell that the use of several equal interval runs lead to a sensation of geometric music. I usually use scales with it to get away from this feeling!!!

I am not the authority on this but it seems geometric writing in sound was popular in the 40's and 50's and may be a residue of 12 tone writing. If so this has to be taken into consideration when using the course.

You are right Craig. But some people tend to think those techniques make the composer a brainy one, which I don't agree. With some good players these runs can sound greatly expressive, but in my case when I don't have anyone to play my music I usually avoid to much equal intervals and I combine scales with them. Like you've said, he has to take care about the programing , the composition is really good!!!

I didn't deviate from "Collision Course" too much. Things tend to go better during lessons when you just follow instructions :-D. I realize that the crowd that frequents this forum is very focused on making realistic mockups. I just view it as homework and I'm just trying to get a general sense of what it sounds like with orchestral instruments. As you know, everything sounds much different coming out of a piano.

This is really great. I think if this piece had a few current production tricks (some sound scape and/or modern percussion) this would make a great candidate for any modern noir-horrorish film. The fact that its got such a sound musical foundation would make it stand out in the crowd so to speak. That's what I think, just an opinion- worth what you paid for it. Nice work!

Top Bottom