What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

Can you make good samples with a crappy mic?

reminds me of these real gems:

shitty1.pdf

shitty2.pdf

Hmmm not sure, but I sure can make crappy samples with good mic. I’ve got proofs of it.

I personally think that the best recorder/microphone is the one you have available at all times. I've recorded excellent stuff with expensive mics and I've recorded excellent stuff with a phone. What really matters is what you plan to do with the samples afterwards.

I've got what you'd call a "traditional" musical background (traditional in its content if not necessarily the way I actually went about it) and the snobbery that you've talked about so often is something that I've seen too much of.

I'd prefer not to count how many times people have seemed to place more weight on what I lack as far as conservatory/university credentials, etc., than on what I actually *do* know and am capable of. Thankfully, this is something that seems to be fading, rapidly. What you and Spitfire do towards that is absolutely not to be undervalued.

Also excited to hear you want to expand the NYC node. Definitely keeping my eye on that....

Last edited:
RAM Competition Results!

I'm sure many here, myself included, can relate to the obsessiveness that comes with making recorded music. When music is going well it's frankly hard to find anything that can beat the high I get from it. But it's not always going well, and were humans, not just musicians. Thanks for the reminder to keep things in perspective.

Here's an interesting article about an elite MLB pitcher who sleeps 10 hours a night: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/sports/baseball/justin-verlander-all-star-sleep.html

Wait, the whole thing loaded up is that size in terms of RAM? So my 32gb laptop could (at least from a RAM perspective) load up the whole orchestra?!? Or have I fundamentally misunderstood something? I'm assuming mic positions will add to that, but if I just went with whatever standard mics are in there...?

Don't tempt me.

Top Bottom