What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

I already ran tons of orchestral samples through Autosampler (which is available for years in Mainstage). EXS (or now "Sampler") is so fast and easy to use and needs less than no CPU. i.e. I have a "best of" of percussion samples from orchestral to epic of all my libraries and don't have to load Kontakt for it and search through tons of discs and folders.

Hello Christian,

Thank you for everything that you do sir!

I am not sure how many share my opinion but I wanted to say that I much prefer Spitfire Audio's own dedicated user interface to any other. I do believe that your streamlined approach is best for getting work done. You cannot please everyone but so far, the Spitfire interface is my favorite.

Does Spitfire Audio have their own proprietary software for building sample libraries internally at the company, initially before they get ported to Kontakt and other samplers?

Last edited:
Hey @christianhenson , I'd like to draw your attention to an "Organbook" of sorts.

This guy has been sampling pipe organs (some quite substantial ones too) around Europe for a while now, and all but a few of them are available for free. When I say sampling pipe organs, I mean immaculately, pristinely, and gorgeously sampling pipe organs. It's incredible stuff and unspeakably generous.

The main caveat is that these are not EXS (Dave?) or Kontakt instruments. They require either the rather pricey Hauptwerk, or, more palatably, the open source version of that software, Grand Orgue. Neither is especially ergonomic to a DAW workflow, but given the amount of passion and skill that obviously goes into these instruments, I thought they would be worth bringing to the attention of a community like Pianobook, for those who might be interested in the piano's extravagant grandfather.

Hey @christianhenson , I'd like to draw your attention to an "Organbook" of sorts.

This guy has been sampling pipe organs (some quite substantial ones too) around Europe for a while now, and all but a few of them are available for free. When I say sampling pipe organs, I mean immaculately, pristinely, and gorgeously sampling pipe organs. It's incredible stuff and unspeakably generous.

The main caveat is that these are not EXS (Dave?) or Kontakt instruments. They require either the rather pricey Hauptwerk, or, more palatably, the open source version of that software, Grand Orgue. Neither is especially ergonomic to a DAW workflow, but given the amount of passion and skill that obviously goes into these instruments, I thought they would be worth bringing to the attention of a community like Pianobook, for those who might be interested in the piano's extravagant grandfather.
Agreed. More people need to know about and support Grabowski's work. His sampled organs truly are immaculate, and it's unbelievable that he offers even up to 44-stop organs for free. I practice on them for my weekend organ gigs all the time, and it's glorious.

You should have called it "The Pub" instead! :) Very enjoyable. Hope you do more of these in the future. Bought some new toys afterwards... the JH Pro Select bundle was just too good to say no :)
Glad you enjoyed it!
I think it’s really valuable to consider the difficult questions as well as the fun ones. It’s essential to have your positions and views challenged. That is the way of growth. Sending you guys lots of love at this time of profound challenge and change. I’m so grateful for music.

Glad you enjoyed it!
I think it’s really valuable to consider the difficult questions as well as the fun ones. It’s essential to have your positions and views challenged. That is the way of growth. Sending you guys lots of love at this time of profound challenge and change. I’m so grateful for music.

Many thanks.

C.

Hello Christian,

Thank you for everything that you do sir!

I am not sure how many share my opinion but I wanted to say that I much prefer Spitfire Audio's own dedicated user interface to any other. I do believe that your streamlined approach is best for getting work done. You cannot please everyone but so far, the Spitfire interface is my favorite.

Does Spitfire Audio have their own proprietary software for building sample libraries internally at the company, initially before they get ported to Kontakt and other samplers?

Burn the heretic!!

But yes, I agree actually. By their own admission, it's an engine in its infancy but I find it very conducive to quick writing.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it!
Yes! Learn and listen, listen and learn, read - question - repeat.
Thanks for the clip - very nice. And some tips for my newly acquired Studio Woodwinds!

Yes! Learn and listen, listen and learn, read - question - repeat.
Thanks for the clip - very nice. And some tips for my newly acquired Studio Woodwinds!
I feel bad for asking as this is totally lazy but do you remember how far into the video those tips were? I've yet to watch it all yet (but I will) and I'd love to hear the tips. Ta!

Around 45-50 minutes, Oliver talks about Woodwinds and how to use them in your music, interesting as I am fairly new to WW. The tips are not only for the Studio WW, but more in general, but it sparked my interest.

Top Bottom