Can someone explain to me why Spitfire's Studio Orchestra doesn't include percussion?

Discussion in 'Drama Zone' started by erica-grace, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    It's called the Spitfire Studio ORCHESTRA

erica-grace likes this.
  2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Yes, and that means that this collection is not completed. They haven't made an orchestra, they have made orchestral libraries in a collection called "The Spitfire Studio Orchestra".

A string orchestra is also an orchestra. An orchestra can be without woodwinds, it can be without brass, it can have a harp, it can have everything. They have not called the collection "A Complete Orchestra by Spitfire Audio"

But why are you disappointed? Have you bought all 3, and hoped for percussion?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Yes, see my comment above. It's the name of a product.

4. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Because it's not called Spitfire Studio Complete Orchestra. It's a collection that has been completed.

5. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Yes, they named it an orchestra. But it isn't one. That's the point.

6. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Of course, it is. Have you never heard an orchestra without percussion?

7. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Those sound like ensembles. I wouldn't call just winds and brass an orchestra either.

8. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Stroking The Frog

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    I think many of you are thinking of a specific type of orchestra, such as a Symphonic one. The word "orchestra" doesn't actually dictate what instruments are included, or how many there are. Hence the different types of orchestra, like a chamber orchestra, Jazz orchestra, or String orchestra. This happens to be Spitfire's studio orchestra. If it included an organ, it's still an orchestra. If it didn't have a Tuba, it's still an orchestra.

You guys and gals are funny sometimes.

N.Caffrey, KallumS, NoamL and 5 others like this.
  9. johnbusbymusic

johnbusbymusic Musician/Composer

Oct 10, 2016
    Mississippi
    +1

10. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Ya, that would be a wind ensemble. But what would you call works for strings, brass, and woodwind? Chamber music?

Here's Beethoven's Symphony No 6 performed by the Hamburg Symphony Orchestra. I would find it hard to not call this and many others an orchestral work.

11. gpax

gpax Senior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Some beat me to the punch. I was going to post how the elite chamber music school I work for would be hard pressed in being told the string-only population of students was not an orchestra.

But to the OP's point: I think it would a good idea to also contact "they" directly in terms of getting a first-hand answer as to their rationale (rather then opening up the thread as a they roast). Them people also happen to be member-contributors in this forum.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  12. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Or I think they used to be? Before they had enough of the BS.

13. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    In the silent era, say c. 1910-1915, any ensemble with more than two players was called an orchestra. The “drummer” was the title of the person who handled the sound effects (and was not generally considered part of the “orchestra” though I don’t know how union rules worked in those days).

KallumS likes this.
  14. gpax

gpax Senior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    At least one member of the SA staff has continued to contribute, and graciously so. But Christian just returned, in fact, with a post expressing his thoughts as to why he felt he wanted to be back.

Mason likes this.
  15. gpax

gpax Senior Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Interesting. What always trips me up, not being from Britain, is referring to an orchestra as a "band."

16. OP
    OP
    erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    While both of these comments have merit, we are not living in the early 1900s, and SF did not create three sections that could or could not be part of an orchestra. They created three sections that ARE part of what we all know and call an orchestra.

Sure, you can apply the word orchestra to many things, but when you create a product that is a full woodwind ensemble, a full strings ensemble, and a full brass ensemble, with no percussion, you have not created a full orchestra. Which is fine, just don't say you have.

If they had recorded perc, woods and brass, and then came out and said, The Spitfire Studio Orchestra Is Complete would we all be ok with that?

Casiquire likes this.
  17. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I'm still wondering why this is so important to you. Is it because you bought or planned to buy all 3 but regret it now as there won't come any percussion? If so I could understand the disappointment. Or are you a percussionist?

They never called it "full orchestra", and what is a "full orchestra" anyway? There is already a name for brass, woods, and perc: It's called a band.

gpax likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Also, this means Jaeger isn't an orchestral library since it doesn't have woodwinds.

MartinH. likes this.
  19. Mike Greene

Mike Greene Administrator

I changed the title of this thread. The nit-picky premise of this thread is bad enough, but to then call out Paul and Christian in the title is way out of line. Paul and Christian are members of this forum. No member, especially members who most of us would like to see more of, should have to see themselves criticized in thread titles.

20. "It feels good to be back..."
    Does it ? :thumbsdown:

poetd, j_kranz, miket and 1 other person like this.